It's not their device, after I purchase it, it is MY DEVICE !!

It's just like any other PC (personal computer). Almost every PC in the world has software on it that allows it to do more than at the time it was purchased.

Some (I'll even say most) of that software uses undocumented API's, hacks, programming tricks.

That does not make it right for to the manufacture to arbitrarily delete apps, or personal data that I created using those apps. Even if those apps do not strictly follow the manufactures or OS authors guidelines.

Imagine if the next Microsoft update deleted every app, and the associated data, if the app used an undocumented API, or was developed without using "Microsoft Approved" development tools.
    Mobile Linux? Got That.
    Pepper Pad 3, Nokia 770, GP2x, Motorola A780
    Visit Linuxslate.com New Forums just starting
    2007-10-10 05:35 PM
    I Agree, After Purchase its yours to do what ever the (probly banned word) you want to with it.
    2007-10-10 05:40 PM
    It's not their device, after I purchase it, it is MY DEVICE !!
    No you didn't buy it. You purchased it at their terms. they stated clearly the conditions on which to buy it and you, by paying, agree to them. You assuming it's just like any other computer/pda/phone doesn't make it so.

You don't own the phone, you own the license to use one. That's what you paid for, and again, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

"General The software (including Boot ROM code and other embedded software), documentation and any fonts that came with your iPhone, whether in read only memory, on any
    other media or in any other form (collectively the "iPhone Software") are licensed, not sold, to you by Apple Inc. ("Apple") for use only under the terms of this License, and Apple
    reserves all rights not expressly granted to you. The rights granted herein are limited to Apple's intellectual property rights in the iPhone Software and do not include any other
    patents or intellectual property rights. You own the media on which the iPhone Software is recorded but Apple and/or Apple's licensor(s) retain ownership of the iPhone Software itself."

and that's just the software part. So I guess you do have a point in that you own the hardware and you can choose to do whatever you want with it. But if you want to use the software (any part of it), you have to play by their rules. Oh well, I'm happy with the phone without the extra bang which I guess puts me in the minority here.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 2007-10-10 at 05:53 PM.
    2007-10-10 05:48 PM
    What a complete pile of BS.

People bricked their phones when they chose to upgrade. Apple didnt force them to do anything.

The phone is yours to do with using the software that came on it at the time of purchase. After that point you are agreeing to Apple's new rules if you install their FREE and VOLUNTARY upgrades. Don't like it, don't upgrade.

Just sounds like a bunch of whiny little ******* who didn't read Apple's warning about unlocked phones.

There is every possibility that the 3rd party apps were disabled because Apple had to fix the file structure because of exploitable flaws. Lets say that a hacker, for want of a better term, is able to steal your info and use it in a way thats damaging to you because of an exploit that 1.1.1 could have patched but it didnt because Apple had to worry about supporting 1.0.2 apps that it had nothing to do with. Then there would have been a class action lawsuit for that.

I swear you people are never happy; friggin whiny *******.

To the "lawyers" reading this, you're bloodsucking ambulance chasers.

To the people with bricked-because-you-unlocked-and-then-upgraded-them phones, STFU and accept the fact that you're a morons because you ignored the warnings.
    Last edited by darngooddesign; 2007-10-10 at 06:38 PM.
    Various 'Books old and new
    8 Giggity, Giggity, Gigg-it-y.
    2007-10-10 06:34 PM
    5 lines?
    Yeah, family plan... Mom, dad, kid #1, kid #2, kid #1's girlfriend...
    2007-10-10 06:40 PM
    Whaaa whaaa...i'm not getting my way so I'm going to sue because I never do anything wrong so it can't be my fault! You whiney babies aren't going to get anything out of this except shark fees! But good luck!!
    2007-10-10 06:51 PM
    Yeah, family plan... Mom, dad, kid #1, kid #2, kid #1's girlfriend...
    You pay for your kids gf's iphone line? that is generous!
    2007-10-10 09:40 PM
    I can imagine that somehow ends up being less expensive than having him calling her all the time on another provider/service and eat up the plans' minutes
    2007-10-10 10:55 PM
    IMO, ATT is not at fault. Apple gets a percentage of the monthly service plan when you use ATT and Apple's Iphone Plans. Thats why they want you to remain with ATT. ATT wants you as a customer but they don't care what you do with your phone after 90 days or your service is up, its yours, unlock it, break it, sell it...they don't care. Apple on the other hand would like to get as much money from you as possible, hence the itunes activation, itunes music and ringtone control, warranty threats.... This class action could pull some weight in the unlocking department, because its legally your right, no matter what apple claims. But 3rd party apps on your phone, they don't have to support or warranty when they cause issues. Either way, apple is big, we are little, they will win, and apple fanboys will keep paying them money to wear the Apple leash around their necks
    Really?
    2007-10-10 11:16 PM
    opinions aside, someone is taking action instead of ******** on a forum about it.
    1win.1 loss.1 draw
    2007-10-10 11:28 PM
    Hell no, they pay for the lines ($10 for the line, and $20 for the data), its just on a single plan because it works out cheaper for everyone that way. They live together.
    2007-10-11 12:51 AM
    Apple's stock is down noticeably today, and word of the lawsuit is on many news sites.

BTW, I am not whining. My phone is still at 1.0.2, still locked to AT&T, and working fine. I am happy with my purchase. I have the option of upgrading or not.

No matter what you think, and right or wrong, the question is whether or not the AT&T/Apple deal is a tying agreement, and whether or not that agreement is legal.

If you do not agree with a law, write your representatives. If a company or companies violate the law - as written, not as right or wrong - then they face legal action.

Read the legal complaint.
    Mobile Linux? Got That.
    Pepper Pad 3, Nokia 770, GP2x, Motorola A780
    Visit Linuxslate.com New Forums just starting
    2007-10-11 09:48 PM
    I signed up, it took me 2 minutes. If you have an extra 2 minutes then I say sign up. It'll strengthen the case and you'll probably be rewarded after the case is settled. Don't let Apple get away with being a monopoly =D. Or else soon they'll charge you for the USB charging cord...
    2007-10-17 09:16 AM
    What a litigeous country we are?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

2007-10-17 11:23 AM
    Is it legal or illegal to unlock and iphone and resell it on Ebay? I've sold a couple of unlocked iphones on ebay and have made good profits...but my brother showed me this last night! I want to continue selling iphones but i can;t find any other informatio other than this....

"That's great! What's the "but?"

There are a lot of "buts," actually. For example, it's most likely not legal to unlock iPhones and sell them on eBay, because your "sole purpose" wouldn't be to connect to a cell network -- it would be to profit from the sale of unlocked phones. TracFone has been suing resellers that unlock its phones and getting settlements, even though this exemption exists. So you might want to put those dreams of being the exclusive iPhone supplier to the Saudi royal family to bed -- for now."

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/k...ock-my-iphone/
    2007-10-20 07:31 AM
    No offense but this is why these companies have these things called contracts. They also have stipulations. When Apple released the iPhone and they found out someone had found a way to unlock it, they released a public statement warning that any unlocked phones would not have their warranties honored. As far as cancellation fees for leaving your cell phone company to go to AT&T, a judge is going to see that as a consumers choice because in the contracts with other cell phone companies, they warn you of these fees if you switch for any reason or leave before the contract is up. Everything else that you mention are in the stipulations and contracts with getting an iPhone with AT&T. Good luck taking on these two huge companies. But it seems to me they have more to stand on based on the contracts that these consumers knowingly sign.
    2007-12-15 08:47 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD