• iOS 6.1.3 Patches evasi0n Jailbreak Exploit

The word on the street is out. Earlier today Forbes released a report that the iOS 6.1.3 Beta released late last week, does indeed close the loophole for the evasi0n jailbreak exploit. While it isn't surprising, it doesn't mean your too late. If you haven't got your device jailbroken yet, be sure to update to 6.1.2 and run the latest evasi0n tool.

One of the developers behind evasi0n, David Wang, stated that he has analyzed the 6.1.3 beta 2 update and found that the release does indeed patch at least one of the five bugs the jailbreak exploits, in which this particular case was a flaw in the operating system’s time zone settings. While this release does indicate the end of evasi0n's current compatiblity, Wang lets us know that he is still working on tests with this latest release. It's always good to know someone is fighting the fight for us on a constant basis.

“If one of the vulnerabilities doesn’t work, evasi0n doesn’t work,” he says. “We could replace that part with a different vulnerability, but [Apple] will probably fix most if not all of the bugs we’ve used when 6.1.3 comes out.”

Wang predicts it may take up to a month before he can find an exploit that could be considered to release to the public, so that should put a smile on some of your faces. Apple’s slow response to the evasi0n jailbreak tool is assumed to be in part by the fairly low security risk that the tool poses versus previous jailbreak tools.

Moral of the story; If you want to keep your jailbreak, do not update to iOS 6.1.3 until Wang can release a new update.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iOS 6.1.3 Reportedly Patches evasi0n Jailbreak Exploit started by nickhesson View original post
    Comments 66 Comments
      bigray -
      Quote Originally Posted by prozac4312 View Post
      Top 5k site in the US, well respected iPhone blog, default Cydia repo for newly jailbroken iDevices...and editors here don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

Nice.
      Go away

Why don't they just leave it until a major update comes? Jailbreaking 6.1.3 with a new exploit is just going to waste it for the future. Apple won't fix it if it hasn't been used yet.
      jadid -
      Quote Originally Posted by Breezy215 View Post
      After waiting all this time for an iPhone 5 jailbreak, the only thing I'd give up my JB for is maybe an iPhone 6!!!
      Agreed!
      Rob2G -
      Good while it lasted. Im staying on 6.1.2 until a new JB.
      Gencs -
      I'm still on 6.1, should I update to 6.1.2 and jailbreak again before the new update or does it not matter that much?
      2k1 -
      Doesn't really matter
      ugshotgun -
      Quote Originally Posted by prozac4312 View Post
      Top 5k site in the US, well respected iPhone blog, default Cydia repo for newly jailbroken iDevices...and editors here don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

Nice.
      Oh look, its the grammar police! Shush dude, grown ups are talking!
      csglinux -
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
      Apple cares about security.
      Scotty, you do understand that the primary target for Apple's iOS "security" is, in fact, you? If you believe you really are an ignorant, incompetent fool that can't be trusted with a root password, you should of course be grateful to Apple for caring so deeply about you. It would just be a bonus for Apple if you could also register your credit card on the app store...
      nealh -
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
      Apple cares about security. Having a bad rep for security is worse than having a bad rep for features. Yes jail breaking makes you iOS more vulnerable. The average user probably shouldn't jailbreak their phone. I like to jailbreak. But I have grandparents who have iPhones, who are average users, that I would never let jailbreak their devices. Plus, in the enterprise world. Security is HUGE!!!!!! Enterprise is all about security.
      How does a jailbreak cause vulnerability. I have been using a jailbreak for years and I've never been hacked or had an issue with security
      This to me just seems like a company line from Apple as a reason not to jailbreak
      Makes no sense
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
      How does a jailbreak cause vulnerability. I have been using a jailbreak for years and I've never been hacked or had an issue with security
      This to me just seems like a company line from Apple as a reason not to jailbreak
      Makes no sense
      A jailbreak doesn't cause a vulnerability. A jailbreak is born from a vulnerability.
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padgoi View Post
      Due for an upgrade in May. iPhone will be put to rest. I'm going over to the Android family. Apple has no idea nor do they care what their consumers actually want.
      K well you go do that.....no one here cares that your switching phones. It's funny when Apple pushes out an update that patches the jailbreak, some people start freaking out saying how dumb Apple is for patching security issues. Sure I enjoy JB my iPhone, but I also realize that Apple's going to do something like this to fix problems with their OS. If these people think Android is going to fill this "hole" that the iPhone has, then make the switch already. This is the way it's been since the beginning...did you honestly think it was going change? That Apple was just going to give in to the JB community? Android patches their security problems too...so if it's the actual phone that you want then why be with Apple in the first place? They've been this way since the first iPhone, it's nothing new!
      King_O_Hill -
      Yeah, I don't get it. Apparently people think that jail broken devices must account for 90% of users. When in fact, it is the exact opposite at best. Why would apple cater to a minority of users to piss off the majority?

That would make no sense at all!!!
      FrozenCoTTon -
      So I have a iPad 3 plus a 4s on 5.1.1

According to cydia it saved the blobs to 6.1.2

So that means even if they release 6.1.3 I will still be able to update to 6.1.2 even if the window is closed right?

Thanks
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCoTTon View Post

So that means even if they release 6.1.3 I will still be able to update to 6.1.2 even if the window is closed right?

Thanks
      Nope. There is no method right now that would allow that. There may be in the future though. Right now if Apple were to release 6.1.3 your 6.1.2 SHSH would be of no help to you on a iPad 3.
      GrumpySod -
      We don't know if this is the full story as a bit a while back said that the devs have some other "holes" that they have not used for this jailbreak so it could be a temp fix by apple if that is true!
      nealh -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      A jailbreak doesn't cause a vulnerability. A jailbreak is born from a vulnerability.
      Exactly!!
      d_animality -
      Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCoTTon View Post

Thanks
      My sis 3GS still on 5.1.1 is there any way i can update 6.1 preserving the baseband? Please help..
      2k1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by d_animality View Post
      My sis 3GS still on 5.1.1 is there any way i can update 6.1 preserving the baseband? Please help..
      Only if ya have the shsh blobs for it. If not then 6.1.2 will be the way to go.
      Perceptum -
      Quote Originally Posted by ugshotgun View Post
      oh look, its the grammar police! Shush dude, grown ups are talking!
      lmao!
      dhamien -
      Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
      Exactly!!
      I think you're missing the point. No one is saying that a jailbroken phone is necessarily less secure than a non-jailbroken one is. But a phone running an OS that has a vulnerability is in fact less secure. That's whether a jailbreak is installed or not.

No matter how much we enjoy making modifications to our phones, it is in Apple's, and actually the far majority of iPhone users', interest for these holes to be patched up as they are potential openings for attacks on the phone.
      d_animality -
      Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
      Only if ya have the shsh blobs for it. If not then 6.1.2 will be the way to go.
      Well i have the blobs for 6.1 but what application should i use to create custom ipsw and preserve basebands?
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook