• iOS 6.1.3 Patches evasi0n Jailbreak Exploit

The word on the street is out. Earlier today Forbes released a report that the iOS 6.1.3 Beta released late last week, does indeed close the loophole for the evasi0n jailbreak exploit. While it isn't surprising, it doesn't mean your too late. If you haven't got your device jailbroken yet, be sure to update to 6.1.2 and run the latest evasi0n tool.

One of the developers behind evasi0n, David Wang, stated that he has analyzed the 6.1.3 beta 2 update and found that the release does indeed patch at least one of the five bugs the jailbreak exploits, in which this particular case was a flaw in the operating system’s time zone settings. While this release does indicate the end of evasi0n's current compatiblity, Wang lets us know that he is still working on tests with this latest release. It's always good to know someone is fighting the fight for us on a constant basis.

“If one of the vulnerabilities doesn’t work, evasi0n doesn’t work,” he says. “We could replace that part with a different vulnerability, but [Apple] will probably fix most if not all of the bugs we’ve used when 6.1.3 comes out.”

Wang predicts it may take up to a month before he can find an exploit that could be considered to release to the public, so that should put a smile on some of your faces. Apple’s slow response to the evasi0n jailbreak tool is assumed to be in part by the fairly low security risk that the tool poses versus previous jailbreak tools.

Moral of the story; If you want to keep your jailbreak, do not update to iOS 6.1.3 until Wang can release a new update.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iOS 6.1.3 Reportedly Patches evasi0n Jailbreak Exploit started by nickhesson View original post
    Comments 66 Comments
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      Have you had a successful restore with OpenBackup yet, Simon? Either BackUp Restore main method or the .deb method? I had trouble with both on my iPhone 4 6.1 to 6.1.2, but haven't tried on my 5 yet.

And does the OpenBackup method have the potential for keeping bad things in your backup that you are experiencing now? Like PKGBkup is known for - certain prefs files, etc.

Last question - how do you save chat conversations when you do a full restore and then get them back?

TIA
      Yes, I used the full .deb backup method going from 6.1 to 6.1.2. Had no issues, went very smoothly. I don't see how it could cause any real issues for a incremental update like this. It doesn't save your preferences or anything like that, only the packages that were installed. The iTunes backup saves the preferences for everything, even the jailbreak stuff. So I guess it has the same potential as any normal itunes backup (from a jailbroken device) but if you weren't having problems before you shouldn't have problems after.

Chat conversations like imessage and SMS? With the itunes backup.
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      Yes, I used the full .deb backup method going from 6.1 to 6.1.2. Had no issues, went very smoothly. I don't see how it could cause any real issues for a incremental update like this. It doesn't save your preferences or anything like that, only the packages that were installed. The iTunes backup saves the preferences for everything, even the jailbreak stuff. So I guess it has the same potential as any normal itunes backup (from a jailbroken device) but if you weren't having problems before you shouldn't have problems after.

Chat conversations like imessage and SMS? With the itunes backup.
      Ok. If you'll look in the .debs method folders instructions you'll see that there is a folder containing preferences too - that is copied back even in the .deb method. That's what I was wondering about. I feel more comfortable with the .deb method too. Did you notice having to Reboot as many as three time before all the icons for the Cydia stuff appeared on the desktop?

And I was unclear if the file called 'lock' and the folder called 'Partial' were also to be placed in the Cydia/AutoInstall folder in the restore process for debs. I did 'NOT' include them because they're NOT .deb files. And that may have caused some of my problems with my 4. Do you think?

Thanks,
      Grant
      liamcakerboyr -
      Have you had a successful restore with OpenBackup yet, Simon? Either BackUp Restore main method or the .deb method? I had trouble with both on my iPhone 4 6.1 to 6.1.2, but haven't tried on my 5 yet.

And does the OpenBackup method have the potential for keeping bad things in your backup that you are experiencing now? Like PKGBkup is known for - certain prefs files, etc.

Last question - how do you save chat conversations when you do a full restore and then get them back?

TIA
      Hey if you are still wondering how to back up chat conversations for the Messages application if you have a mac you can download an application called iExplorer and it will allow you to back up individual messages and a lot of other content that iTunes will not allow you access to by default. It is also available on windows btw
      Simon -
      Ok. If you'll look in the .debs method folders instructions you'll see that there is a folder containing preferences too - that is copied back even in the .deb method. That's what I was wondering about. I feel more comfortable with the .deb method too. Did you notice having to Reboot as many as three time before all the icons for the Cydia stuff appeared on the desktop?

And I was unclear if the file called 'lock' and the folder called 'Partial' were also to be placed in the Cydia/AutoInstall folder in the restore process for debs. I did 'NOT' include them because they're NOT .deb files. And that may have caused some of my problems with my 4. Do you think?

Thanks,
      Grant
      You shouldn't need the partial, that is just .debs that didn't or aren't finished. I don't know about the lock file. I didn't move it back, I just did the .debs. So it sounds like we did the same thing there. I don't see where it saves the preferences though. It says in the info tab in the actual app that it backs it up to icloud or itunes so I just assumed that is part of the regular itunes backup process. I could be wrong though. Best person to ask this stuff to is Zokunei. He frequents our random chat thread, just drop a line in there and he should get back to you.
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      You shouldn't need the partial, that is just .debs that didn't or aren't finished. I don't know about the lock file. I didn't move it back, I just did the .debs. So it sounds like we did the same thing there. I don't see where it saves the preferences though. It says in the info tab in the actual app that it backs it up to icloud or itunes so I just assumed that is part of the regular itunes backup process. I could be wrong though. Best person to ask this stuff to is Zokunei. He frequents our random chat thread, just drop a line in there and he should get back to you.
      Thanks I will drop a line to him! Thaszar is also pretty knowledgable about this product. Thanks, sir!
      iH85CH001 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padgoi View Post
      Due for an upgrade in May. iPhone will be put to rest. I'm going over to the Android family. Apple has no idea nor do they care what their consumers actually want.
      I think they care but at this point they only care about new customers. They dont care about the people that have been with them for years. That is the sad reality here.........
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook