• Hacker Sentenced to 41 Months in Jail for Exploiting AT&T iPad Security Flaw

The hacker who previously helped obtain and disclose more than 100,00 iPad 3G users’ emails from AT&T in 2010 was recently sentenced to 41 months in prison. Andrew Auernheimer, known by his handle “weev,” is required to share a $73,000 restitution payment to AT&T according to The Verge. On top of his prison sentence and payment to AT&T, he will also be subject to three years of supervised release.

Prior to his sentencing, he held a press conference on the steps of the courthouse where he told the media he was “going to jail for doing arithmetic.” Prosecutors cited an “Ask Me Anything” that he took part in on Reddit before his sentencing, where in the question-and-answer session, he said he would like to return to the state of Arkansas but he doesn’t believe the U.S. government would allow him because of what he described as his “extensive Militia connections.”

In another one of his posts, Auernheimer said his only ‘regret” was being “nice enough” to AT&T to allow them to patch the issue before he alerted Gawker of his actions. He was quick to warn that he “won’t nearly be as nice next time.”

Source: Reddit, The Verge
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Hacker Sentenced to 41 Months in Jail for Exploiting AT&T iPad Security Flaw started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 29 Comments
      VietSpiders -
      blah............. blah............ blah..................................!!!
      bigboyz -
      Yeah cause AT&T is so hurting for ca$h..what a joke.
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post

The hacker who previously helped obtain and disclose more than 100,00 iPad 3G users’ emails from AT&T in 2010 was recently sentenced to 41 months in prison. Andrew Auernheimer, known by his handle “weev,” is required to share a $73,000 restitution payment to AT&T according to The Verge. On top of his prison sentence and payment to AT&T, he will also be subject to three years of supervised release.

How do you read 100,00? Is it One Hundred Hundred?
      kosher1 -
      Sad. Drink and drive and you get off, hack and you go to jail 2 frikin years.
      javiert30 -
      Cool ATT you patched the vulnerability thanks to him and you send him to jail...
      slim.jim -
      The should give him a job for doing their job.
      Mrteacup -
      Don't mind me... Just waiting for a jailbreak pun...

Btw as much as they over charged this guy this article is completely bias for him. But you should come here expecting pro-hacking, and for gods sake come here expecting pro apple too...
      tridley68 -
      Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
      Cool ATT you patched the vulnerability thanks to him and you send him to jail...

WOW find a security flaw help a company save face and this is the thanks you get Hmmm.
      thazsar -
      Finding the flaw is one thing...disclosing customers info is another. You all must've missed that part of the article!

He got what he deserves!!!
      jasvncnt10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by kosher1 View Post
      Sad. Drink and drive and you get off, hack and you go to jail 2 frikin years.
      2 years? I thought the article said 41 months??
      BhadKarma -
      Quote Originally Posted by jasvncnt10 View Post
      Lul. Back to school for him.
      bigscrb15 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jasvncnt10 View Post
      You didn't know a year is 20.5 months??
      jasvncnt10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigscrb15 View Post
      You didn't know a year is 20.5 months??
      LOL does that have something to do with daylight savings?

Quote Originally Posted by BhadKarma View Post
      Lul. Back to school for him.
      Man, our school system does suck
      MPS3 -
      i lol at all of you
      its about 3.5 years
      gets out in about 1.5 years if he is good
      serves the rest on parole
      wardever -
      I can't say that he shouldn't be sentenced for leaking (disclosing) the information, but 41 months is absurd. I don't have to point out the killers, rapists, corporate embezzlers, etc... that get off with a slap on the wrist or as little as 12 months in prison and 2 years of probation. The punishment needs to fit the crime, and in this instance, it does not.
      jasvncnt10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by MPS3 View Post
      i lol at all of you
      its about 3.5 years
      Why are you lol'ing at all of us? We weren't saying anything about when he would actually be out.
      Fallguy -
      Maybe his time in jail will be spent learning new things , like personal grooming .
      hogcia -
      You see? It doesn't pay to be nice!
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by wardever View Post
      I can't say that he shouldn't be sentenced for leaking (disclosing) the information, but 41 months is absurd. I don't have to point out the killers, rapists, corporate embezzlers, etc... that get off with a slap on the wrist or as little as 12 months in prison and 2 years of probation. The punishment needs to fit the crime, and in this instance, it does not.
      Maybe they're making him 'the example' in this situation. IDK!
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by MPS3 View Post
      i lol at all of you
      its about 3.5 years
      Read the article again. It's 41 months (3 years, 5 months) in prison and another 3 years parole.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook