• iPhone Sees Less Shipments in the Wake of a Growing Smartphone Market

    Research firm IDC released smartphone shipment estimates for the second quarter of 2013, with Apple seeing its second-lowest year-to-year growth in almost four years, while the overall market accelerated. According to the IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker, smartphone shipments grew 52.3% year-over-year in the June quarter, hitting 237.9 million units compared to 156.2 million units in 2012.

    The amount of growth experienced by the worldwide smartphone market ended up being the highest annual rate for the sector in five quarters. As a result, quarterly shipments were up 10 percent from the 216.3 million units shipped in the first quarter of the year. Senior research analyst Kevin Restivo said the following regarding the matter in a prepared statement:

    The smartphone market is still a rising tide that's lifting many ships. Though Samsung and Apple are the dominant players, the market is as fragmented as ever. There is ample opportunity for smartphone vendors with differentiated offerings.
    Samsung retained a dominant lead in the second quarter, capturing 30.4% of the market on shipments of 72.4 million handsets. Apple came in second with 31.2 million iPhones shipped, good enough for a 13.1% market share. Despite owning a combined 43.5% of the worldwide market, the two companies’ year-over-year growth rates trailed the market average and were the lowest out of this quarter’s top-five vendors. IDC speculates that Apple’s slowdown can be attributed to consumers holding out for a new iPhone model this fall. The company’s growth is expected to accelerate if a rumored low-cost version is also launched later this year.

    Trailing behind the Apple and Samsung was LG, which shipped 12.1 million units to take 5.1% of the market, up 108.6% from the same period in 2012. Lenovo, which showed the most growth with a 130.6% year-to-year jump, ended up managing 11.6 million units for a 4.7 market share. ZTE rounded out the top five with 4.2% of the market on 10.1 million units shipped, up 57.8% from the previous year.

    When it came to overall mobile phone shipments, Apple held onto its third place position behind both Samsung and Nokia. After adding features phones to the mix, Samsung ended up with 113.4 million shipped units and 26.2% of the market for the quarter ending in June, up 16.3% year-to-year. Nokia dropped 27.1% from the second quarter of 2012, shipping 61.1 million units for a 14.1% market share. Coming in fourth place behind Apple was LG with 16.2 million units for 3.7% of the market, up 23.7% from last year, with ZTE’s shipments declining 1.1% to 15 million units for a 3.5% share of the market.

    Overall, mobile phone shipments ended up hitting 432.1 million during the second quarter, up 6% year-to-year.

    Source: IDC
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone Sees Less Shipments in the Wake of a Growing Smartphone Market started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 7 Comments
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      wow, Samsung selling more phones that next 4 closest competitors combined. impressive.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Apple want the market share back it better have something impressive with next iPhone, I do not see iOS7 enough to get people to switch.
    1. Dark_Ninja's Avatar
      Dark_Ninja -
      That's why I switched back to Android. iOS 7 looks like trash .
    1. Nerd's Avatar
      Nerd -
      What's go up must come down that's a cycle of it.
    1. thetoothfairy's Avatar
      thetoothfairy -
      Apple has some catching up to do!
    1. Shigoroku's Avatar
      Shigoroku -

      Fewer shipments.

      It's time for me to go now. -Fox McCloud
    1. CZroe's Avatar
      CZroe -
      Quote Originally Posted by Shigoroku View Post

      Fewer shipments.

      It's time for me to go now. -Fox McCloud
      That was his father, James McCloud, IIRC. Now tell thetoothfairy just above you that she used the wrong your/you're in her signature.
  • Connect With Us

  • Twitter Box

  • Facebook