• Google, Nestle Partner to Name Next Version of Android 'KitKat'

This one has the entire mobile community shouting "Give me a break!"

On Tuesday, news surfaced that Google Wants to name the next version of Android "KitKat." And Google has reached a licensing deal with Nestle to do just that.

John Lagerling, director of Android global partnerships, tells the BBC that ”this is not a money-changing-hands kind of deal.”

“One of the snacks that we keep in our kitchen for late-night coding are KitKats. And someone said: ‘Hey, why don’t we call the release KitKat?’ Lagerling adds. “We didn’t even know which company controlled the name, and we thought that [the choice] would be difficult. But then we thought well why not, and we decided to reach out to the Nestle folks.”

“Very frankly, we decided within an hour to say let’s do it,” Patrice Bula, Nestle’s marketing chief, told the BBC.

In the big picture, it's a positive change of pace for Nestle in terms of recent headlines.

"Nestle has faced criticism in the past for the way it promoted powdered baby milk in the developing world," the BBC reports. "It has also had to recall numerous products, most recently bags of dog food following a salmonella scare in the US."

Source: BBC
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Google, Nestle Partner to Name Next Version of Android 'KitKat' started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 24 Comments
      fleurya -
      “We didn’t even know which company controlled the name..."

Wow, I thought Googlers would be smart enough to read a wrapper label. Maybe they have lost the ability to read anything unless it's on a LCD.

”this is not a money-changing-hands kind of deal.”

Actual money doesn't have to change hands for there to be some kind of transfer of benefit.
      rickuk -

Pretty clever marketing, and at least Google won't be sued for using the name

Perhaps they were using Bing to find out who held the rights
      anmiller07 -
      LOL, that has to be the crappiest picture of a Kitkat on the internet. But I used to love Kitkat's as a kid. In fact when I got my first pet (a cat) I named him KitKat. Still hate Android.
      Christophxr -
      This one has the entire mobile community shouting "Give me a break!"

You guys just couldn't resist, could you?
      mwhite67 -
      The names they give their OSs are embarrasingly stupid.
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by mwhite67 View Post

Its a better OS than iOS so who cares what they call it., Android users don't have to jailbreak or Root phones to get basic features and NEVER have a wish list for what the next phone to be like.
      Jato_BZ -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      Its a better OS than iOS so who cares what they call it., Android users don't have to jailbreak or Root phones to get basic features and NEVER have a wish list for what the next phone to be like.
      We were all waiting for u to show up & tell us how good Android is & iOS isn't...

#ProAndroidMuch
      Soldierboykillm -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
      We were all waiting for u to show up & tell us how good Android is & iOS isn't...

#ProAndroidMuch
      +1 hahaha, never fails!
      Carvensno -
      Hey look who showed up? It's the "Android Anti-Christ himself" Just remember to ask yourself one thing when you post on here. Do we really give a F#$k what you say and post here? LMAO
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
      “We didn’t even know which company controlled the name..."

Wow, I thought Googlers would be smart enough to read a wrapper label. Maybe they have lost the ability to read anything unless it's on a LCD.
      Unbelievable.
      mlee19841 -
      Let the jokes begin!!!
      tridley68 -
      The next name could be Kibbel & Bits or Puppy Chow or Dip Stick I will stick with my Malware free iOS & OS
      Drizahy -
      Don't mind the name. Candy is good to snack on but please don't say nobody has a wish list. Tell that to the users on ice cream sandwich who would love to update there phone.
      Carvensno -
      Ya i see what? Maybe 3 Android phones getting this as an update if that? Plus whatever new high end phones come out by then.
      mlee19841 -
      Time to troll n bash. They do it to us here all the time. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
      Ya i see what? Maybe 3 Android phones getting this as an update if that? Plus whatever new high end phones come out by then.
      Lol. I see just the Newley released phones getting it. But anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post

Pretty clever marketing, and at least Google won't be sued for using the name

Perhaps they were using Bing to find out who held the rights
      Ha ha ha. Is that a old style kit kat.
      thefinalhack -
      And yet android users have to tolerate exposure to malware, lower stability and increased likelihood of app incompatibilities all of which iOS users do not even have to spare a seconds thought about

And don't try to tell me otherwise because before I got my iPhone 5 I had a samsung so I would know
      barondebxl -
      Why are you hating? You sound like one of those eye sheeps. mbaahhhhhhh. KitKat sounds better than IOS
      Rondon360 -
      Kitty Kat sounds better 😸
      Tperry -
      Quote Originally Posted by thefinalhack View Post
      And don't try to tell me otherwise because before I got my iPhone 5 I had a samsung so I would know
      You ARE aware that Samsung is not the only Android phone, right? My wife's RAZR MAXX HD is a much better phone than my S3, and I'm looking forward to getting the HTC One. The thing with the One is it just came to Verizon and I understand a newer version is in the works so I may wait on it.
      mutley -
      Quote Originally Posted by thefinalhack View Post
      And yet android users have to tolerate exposure to malware, lower stability and increased likelihood of app incompatibilities all of which iOS users do not even have to spare a seconds thought about

your only exposed to malware if your a stupid user the same as on a pc. ive found android to be no worse than ios in terms of stability and just as many crap apps on itunes as there is on googleplay

.. oh and dont try to tell me ive gone from 4+ years of iphone to an android device and im afraid apple will need to pull something pretty special out the bag to get me back. how anyone can go backwards to ios from android ill never understand, such a lack of user customization without a jailbreak is a big mistake imo
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook