• Spotify Enabling Free Music Streaming on Mobile Devices, Similar to Free PC Streaming

On Wednesday, Spotify announced that the company would begin offering free music streaming on all devices, including mobile devices such as iOS and Android smartphones and tablets. Free streaming with search was restricted to PC users with ads, and mobile device users only had access to Spotify’s radio feature before this announcement.

With free streaming becoming available on mobile devices as well, iOS and Android users will now be able to search for music that they want to listen to and instantly begin listening to the artist that they want to hear. With the radio feature that mobile users had access to before, users could pick only pick a music genre and the application would deliver a random artist that fit the genre the user picked.

Like with the free streaming on the PC, which included ads every few songs, free streaming on the mobile devices does come with some drawbacks. For example, users will have to use something called “shuffle play.” This will make it so that when a user wants to listen to an artist, the application will shuffle the songs from the artist and play them in a random order. Shuffle Play can be used with any artist list, album list, or playlist hierarchy.

For those that don't want to shell out the $9.99 every month for Spotify Premium, but still want to listen to streamed music, the new free listening will be great news. Notably, only Spotify Premium users will be able to listen to any song by any artist on demand without listening to ads or having to use the Shuffle Play feature.

You can watch Spotify's promotional video below:

For a mobile-friendly video link that works with our app, tap on the video link below:

YouTube Video

Sources: Spotify
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Spotify Enabling Free Music Streaming on Mobile Devices, Similar to Free PC Streaming started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 6 Comments
      Zokunei -
      The site seems to indicate it's already available, but it didn't work on any lists when I tried shuffle play.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      The site seems to indicate it's already available, but it didn't work on any lists when I tried shuffle play.
      It was just announced, so probably rolling out to everyone and might not be 100% available just yet.
      Hedrush -
      Working fine for me. I'm well delighted with this, free music I can't believe it lol. I'm in the UK btw if that matters.
      bigboyz -
      Spotify app is confusing. Online/Offline is weird. It will say "cannot play offline" when I am online? I'll see if it updated yet.
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      It was just announced, so probably rolling out to everyone and might not be 100% available just yet.
      Yup, it works now.
      Paulw2008 -
      Whats the terms so many plays, so many hours? Just a cant find any info on this
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook