• BlackBerry Sues the Creators of the Typo iPhone Keyboard Case

BlackBerry recently filed a suit against Typo, makers of a new snap-on iPhone keyboard case alleging that the startup “blatantly copied” BlackBerry’s own keyboard. Steve Zipperstein, BlackBerry’s General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer said the following in a release announcing the suit:

Typo's keyboard is a blatant infringement against BlackBerry's iconic keyboard, and we will vigorously protect our intellectual property against any company that attempts to copy our unique design.
    The company did not specify whether it had been in contact with Los Angeles, CA-based Typo before initiating legal action.

Designed to slip on to an iPhone 5 or iPhone 5S, Typo features a small lithium battery to power its backlit keyboard as well as a quick-access feature for entering currency symbol. The company states that early testers report faster and more accurate typing than they experience when using the iPhone’s virtual keyboard with some estimating speed increases of up to 50%.

The cleverly named keyboard case was announced in December to great fanfare thanks to no small part to its celebrity backing (Ryan Seacrest). At the time of the release, many claimed it had an old BlackBerry keyboard feels and BlackBerry seems to feel the resemblance is a bit too similar. The Canadian company is "flattered by the desire to graft our keyboard onto other smartphones," said to Zipperstein, "but we will not tolerate such activity without fair compensation for using our intellectual property and our technological innovations."

Typo released the following statement in response to BlackBerry's suit:

We are aware of the lawsuit that Blackberry filed today against Typo Products. Although we respect Blackberry and its intellectual property, we believe that Blackberry's claims against Typo lack merit and we intend to defend the case vigorously. We are excited about our innovative keyboard design, which is the culmination of years of development and research. The Typo keyboard has garnered an overwhelmingly positive response from the public. We are also looking forward to our product launch at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas next week and remain on track to begin shipping pre-orders at the end of January.
    We’ll have to wait and see what happens next.

Source: BlackBerry (Press Release)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: BlackBerry Sues the Creators of the Typo iPhone Keyboard Case started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 14 Comments
      novadam -
      you couldn't pay me to use that hideous thing.
      stolenpentium -
      I guess blackberry/RIM is trying to create revenue, smh.
      micro_master -
      Who would wanna copy RIM/blackberry? That cover brought back some nightmares.. Stuck keys and broken home button..
      FireSpyder -
      From the pictures it looks like they have a legitimate case.
      pedwily -
      "Intellectual property"... Lol ya because a keyboard takes a lot of brain power to design.
      Digitalfeind -
      Quote Originally Posted by stolenpentium View Post
      I guess blackberry/RIM is trying to create revenue, smh.
      While I agree blackberry is dead-in-the-water, Blackberry has every right to sue them. It is a blatant copy of their keyboards.
      WHUDS -
      So BlackBerry invented a snap on Keyboard? Oh Wait they mean because it looks similar? What are they smoking at BB? Whats next? BB to sue every maker of keyboards? I was not aware that BB holds the patent to QWERTY? ( What a Crock)
      SupaMonkey -
      lol, can you just imagine pressing the keys on the edge of the phone? especially the corner ones? my god, what a piece of junk. its going to launch, have some sales for noobs, and then fail miserably.
      H4CK3R -
      Why would you want a snap-on keyboard for your iPhone? It looks hideous and the buttons are so small.
      anty3139 -
      Clever idea and I would agree with BB; the keyboard looks like a BB keyboard. We will let the legal system take care of this case. Everybody will have an opinion on it.

I went onto Typokeyboard.com website and something that I noticed was the access to slip in the charging cable for the iPhone 5/5s. I personally think that design fail instantly. As we all know if you start pulling the charger cable incorrectly within a short period of time it was break. There is a good 1/4 inch of just cable to pull making our OEM iphone cables more fragile than before.

If I would have to disconnect this cable every night or half way throughout my day. Sorry just recycle this product.
      WHUDS -
      Quote Originally Posted by anty3139 View Post
      Clever idea and I would agree with BB; the keyboard looks like a BB keyboard. We will let the legal system take care of this case. Everybody will have an opinion on it.

I went onto Typokeyboard.com website and something that I noticed was the access to slip in the charging cable for the iPhone 5/5s. I personally think that design fail instantly. As we all know if you start pulling the charger cable incorrectly within a short period of time it was break. There is a good 1/4 inch of just cable to pull making our OEM iphone cables more fragile than before.

If I would have to disconnect this cable every night or half way throughout my day. Sorry just recycle this product.
      Well its a Keyboard and just because it looks like the BB does not mean one would win a Law suit, if BB made keyboards for Iphones then there may be a case. You must prove you have been harmed and besides looking similar this is frivolous.

As far as the cord, uh take the keyboard off? That would work right

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
      Why would you want a snap-on keyboard for your iPhone? It looks hideous and the buttons are so small.
      Agree, I have a 10 dollar blue tooth one that works
      steve-z17 -
      I like the idea of it, but they definitely made their keyboard look like the BB keyboard, so I can see how BB would be mad.
      tridley68 -
      A dying company that bled 4.8 billion last year and continues to bleed money daily has to try to keep ship a float to pay its fat CEO's has to try something hopefully the judge will see that this is just foolishness and quickly dismiss !
      javiert30 -
      Going backwards...
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook