• Apple Reportedly Working on iPhones with 4.7- and 5.7-inch Displays

We’ve been hearing rumors that the company’s eight-generation handset is going to feature a larger display for quite some time now. Reports are calling for sizes from 4.8-inches all the way up to 6-inches. But there is also another theory, one that Reuters first started last June going around that Apple is working on two larger screen iPhone models: one with a 4.7-inch display and one with a 5.7-inch display. A new report out of China is adding to the mix with similar information.

A recent report from Sina Weibo mentioned the following:

A report coming in from China cites multiple Foxconn insiders who have apparently revealed that Apple is going to release a 4.7 inch and a 5.7 inch iPhone later this year. Both iPhones will reportedly come with fingerprint scanners as well.
    The original report from Reuters mentioned the following (for added context):

Apple is looking at introducing at least two bigger iPhones next year – one with a 4.7-inch screen and one with a 5.7-inch screen – said the sources, including those in the supply chain in Asia. They said suppliers have been approached with plans for the larger screens, but noted it is still unclear whether Apple will actually launch its flagship product in the larger sizes.
    The idea of Apple launching two new iPhones with different display sizes this year sounds strange but it worth noting that several publications seem to be providing similar information, including the well-sourced DisplaySearch. Furthermore, with Apple deviating from its traditional annual plans with the release of the iPhone 5S and 5C this past year, the notion of Apple introducing multiple smart phones isn’t farfetched.

It should be noted though that all of this is speculation and this is just one of the many rumors floating around about Apple’s product plans for 2014. The company is also expected to release a larger 12-inch iPad this year, as well as a smart watch or wearable. We’ll just have to see which rumors turn out to be true and which get ironed out.

Source: Reuters, Sina Weibo via iClarified
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Reportedly Working on iPhones with 4.7- and 5.7-inch Displays started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 74 Comments
      buttamix -
      Sweet!!!!
      Slmchrist -
      It was bound to happen Samsung is gaining way too much ground on apple. The traditional way apple used to operate can no longer be. The masses want a larger screen and apple has held out as long as could.
      RICO_ -
      In other news....I am reportedly going to win the lottery on Tuesday.

I'll believe this when I see more concrete evidence of it.
      ecofrankenstein -
      One of the many reasons that I continue to purchase Apple instead of Samsung is because of the phone's screen size. I want a phone, not a tablet. A 4-inch display is as far as it should go, without it looking completely tacky. If you want something larger, try the iPad or iPad Mini.
      NewD -
      Yeah.. When people hold the HTCOne and Note2/3 to their heads - it just looks ridiculous. But it each their own... I guess.. 4.7 "might" be okay... But 5.7??? Really???
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Slmchrist View Post
      It was bound to happen Samsung is gaining way too much ground on apple. The traditional way apple used to operate can no longer be. The masses want a larger screen and apple has held out as long as could.
      True that
      Checksum47 -
      Waste of money for apple. Most people dont want something the size of an old fashioned Rotary Phone in their pocket. Let alone look like a total [email protected]$$ holding a small Flat-Screen up to the side of your head...
      TT KH -
      Can't wait
      Nuff Said -
      Then all apps will have to be updated again for each screen size. It's rather annoying.
      King_O_Hill -
      Quote Originally Posted by ecofrankenstein View Post
      One of the many reasons that I continue to purchase Apple instead of Samsung is because of the phone's screen size. I want a phone, not a tablet. A 4-inch display is as far as it should go, without it looking completely tacky. If you want something larger, try the iPad or iPad Mini.
      Exactly! Well said!
      trialnterror -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      In other news....I am reportedly going to win the lottery on Tuesday.

I'll believe this when I see more concrete evidence of it.
      Thumbs up this
      Mc-Lovin_341 -
      I have a feeling they would name them the iPhone Air and iPhone Pro .. Hmm ..
      cypherstream -
      This would be great. I know a lot of people turned down the iPhone and went with the galaxy s4 because the screen is larger.

My wife is due for an upgrade (she has galaxy nexus). I let her play with my 5 and asked if she wants a 5S and she said no way, that screen is too small.
      Bo Troxell -
      For me, I can only hope this happens. A 4.7 would make my day. Bring it on Apple.
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
      For me, I can only hope this happens. A 4.7 would make my day. Bring it on Apple.
      So is the understanding that as they go wider - they'll also go 'taller' and keep the aspect ration the same? Or would a move to 4.7 screw up our aspect ratio back to 4:3 if they leave the current height?
      holyshnikes -
      I think it could be a bit wider and maybe that's it. I don't want a HUGE phone. I doubt they will do this. Most Likely these reports are based off of prototypes they are testing. I'm sure they test all kinds of different screen sizes.
      WHUDS -
      Pretty happy with current size, I have a tablet this is a phone!
      vartanarsen -
      When we gonna get iPhone mini? Like iphone 4 size..that was the best for pocket and 1handed use
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
      When we gonna get iPhone mini? Like iphone 4 size..that was the best for pocket and 1handed use
      Yeah.. My wife needs an iPhone 5 size for her business calendar to see more lines of the calendar when she's scheduling.. BUT she's a horse professional and wears jeans - and the iPhone 5 size cuts into her hip when she's riding the horse. The iPhone 4/4S size was the best for 'jean pockets'.
      one_crazy_dude -
      Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
      Same here. Bring it on.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook