• Snapchat Vulnerability Leaves iPhones Open to Denial-of-Service Attacks

According to cyber security researcher Jamie Sanchez, a vulnerability in the Snapchat app opens the iPhone up to denial-of-service attacks that can cause the device to freeze and crash. The vulnerability can allow a hacker to send thousands of messages to a Snapchat user in seconds, which can cause a crash that requires a hard reset to fix. Tokens generated by the app used to verify user identity can be reused by hackers to send the flood of messages. Sanchez mentioned the following regarding the matter:

By reusing old tokens, hackers can send massive amounts of messages using powerful computers. This method could be used by spammers to send messages in mass quantities to numerous users, or it could be used to launch a cyber attack on specific individuals.
    Sanchez even demonstrated the flaw for The Los Angeles Times, sending a reporter 1,000 messages within five seconds in a denial-of-service attack, which caused the reporterís iPhone to freeze until it restarted. The security researcher declined to contact Snapchat with his findings as he believes that startup ďhas no respect for the cyber security research communityĒ after ignoring previous app vulnerability reports.

For those of you who didnít know, Snapchat has faced multiple problems as its private messaging app has grown in popularity, including vulnerabilities that allowed users to bypass screenshot notifications and a recent security breach that ended up compromising the user names and phone numbers of more than 4.6 million customers, which Snapchat was warned about ahead of time by a security group.

Snapchat mentioned that it was unaware of the problem but was interested in learning more when asked about this particular vulnerability.

Source: Jamie Sanchez via The Los Angeles Times
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Snapchat Vulnerability Leaves iPhones Open to Denial-of-Service Attacks started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 6 Comments
      ThatOneProfile -
      Should have sold out when they had the chance.
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneProfile View Post
      Should have sold out when they had the chance.
      I agree, now that everyone knows how much snapchat is worth people are looking at it more closely. These all could've been facebook's problem.
      Christophxr -
      Snapchat really kind of sucks, doesn't it? I keep hearing more and more stories about vulnerabilities this and that and them not doing anything about it.
      Eonhpi -
      I never had a problem i set my settings on friends only and dont have my contact number on it dont add people you dont know its not that hard
      PokemonDesigner -
      Soooooo...... How does one do this? Haha
      iH85CH001 -
      Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
      Soooooo...... How does one do this? Haha
      lol
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook