• Apple Overthrown as World's Most Valuable Brand Name by Google

After sitting in the top spot for three years, Apple has been overthrown thanks to Google’s innovation over the past year according to one market research firm that compiles an annual list of top worldwide brands. The latest results from research agency Millward Brown’s 2014 100 Top BrandZ report says Google out-innovated Apple with its various “Google X” initiatives like Project Loon and contacts that measure glucose levels for diabetics.

The regional managing director of Millward Brown Europe, Benoit Tranzer, had the following to say regarding the matter:

Google has been extremely innovative this year with Google Glass, investments in artificial intelligence and a range of partnerships. All these activities send a very strong signal to consumers about the essence of Google.
    According to the firm’s estimates, Google’s brand value jumped 40% over the past year to $158.84 billion or 115 billion euros. By comparison, Apple dropped in brand value by 20% to $147.88 billion after leading the BrandZ list since 2011. In 2013’s list, Apple’s growth slowed down to 1% year-over-year but ended up having a huge $71.4 billion gap over Google, which was previously in second place. Following both Google and Apple this year were IBM at $107.54 billion, Microsoft at $90.19 billion and McDonald’s at $85.71 billion, Coca Cola, Visa, AT&T, Marlboro and Amazon.com rounded out the top-ten.

For those of you who didn’t know, the BrandZ methodology calculates a company’s financial value and brand contribution, which is qualified as an assessment of a brand’s “uniqueness and its ability to stand out from the crowd, generate desire and cultivate loyalty.”

Do you feel Google has been innovating more than Apple over the past year to earn the number one spot?

Source: Millward Brown via Business Insider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Overthrown as World's Most Valuable Brand Name by Google started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 4 Comments
      H4CK3R -
      Yet again though, Apple is 10x more secretive than Google. We have no idea what they're doing behind the scenes.

Google is a very innovative company, but they often like to copy off other peoples' ideas, which makes me think that they aren't very innovative. Anyone can copy something and add features to it, and then call it their own.
      alanjf -
      Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
      Google is a very innovative company, but they often like to copy off other peoples' ideas, which makes me think that they aren't very innovative. Anyone can copy something and add features to it, and then call it their own.
      This has got to be one of the most ignorant statements that could have been uttered. Apple would be nothing without all the ideas they've used and passed off as their own. There's no denying that Apple can put things into a great looking package (or at least used to, *coughios7cough*) but you have to be completely blind to history to believe that Apple came up with all those ideas themselves.
      H4CK3R -
      Quote Originally Posted by alanjf View Post
      This has got to be one of the most ignorant statements that could have been uttered. Apple would be nothing without all the ideas they've used and passed off as their own. There's no denying that Apple can put things into a great looking package (or at least used to, *coughios7cough*) but you have to be completely blind to history to believe that Apple came up with all those ideas themselves.
      I own an Android device and an Apple device (iPod Touch 5). I've used both for quite some time. I'm not some fanboy who has no idea what the other product is like.

Android copied straight off of iOS. This is very apparent by just looking at the early versions of Android and the newer ones. There really is no innovation. Sure, Android may be open source, but that doesn't make it better. I personally find it to be slow, even on newer devices, and the quality of the apps on the Play Store tends to be meh.

Apple software isn't open source, which sucks, but it looks 10x better in terms of looks, and it functions better. Not to mention that the apps on the App Store are high quality, even free ones.

Anyone can throw together a phone OS and say it's innovative. How often is it actually innovative? Not often. Android isn't innovative. It's a copy of iOS, put simply.

I don't hate Android though. The apps on it, when made by a good developer, can be better than apps on the App Store. It's just that Google doesn't hold their developers to a high standard. I just feel as if iOS is a more developed platform in many ways that is pretty unique (and was very unique when the iPhone came out in 2007). Yes, like all companies, Apple does take ideas from other companies. A great example is the notification center introduced in iOS 5. Android had this a bit before Apple did. I will say though, Android being open source allows you to get some pretty sweet mods on your device. I'm wanting to get around to getting CyanogenMod, but just haven't had the time.

Google and Apple are both guilty of taking ideas and keeping the same, or innovating on them, but I feel that Google does this a lot more than Apple (and it becomes very apparent when you use a lot of their products daily like me) and it's not always a good thing. Sometimes it is, other times it's a "why couldn't they come up with something more unique than this" kind of thing.
      alanjf -
      Android copied straight off of iOS. This is very apparent by just looking at the early versions of Android and the newer ones.
      This may be true, but you're (rather conveniently) forgetting how much Apple has been copied from Android and others since the beginning (and don't even get me started on all the ideas taken from the jailbreak community, though some, in-turn, were actually based on original Android and WP ideas.) And with iOS 7, this has never been more true. <-- Just try and deny it.

Apple software isn't open source, which sucks, but it looks 10x better in terms of looks
      True, iOS has often looked more polished, but with iOS 7, then might not be as much of the case as it was. It's much blander looking now in most apps (stock or downloaded), many GUI elements (like buttons especially) are no longer well defined and often ambiguous, which is normally a sign of a bad GUI. In other words it's minimalism run-a muck, placing function in the back seat, and can feel a bit like early iOS prototypes rather than the more well-groomed appearance that iOS has carried in the past.

Anyone can throw together a phone OS and say it's innovative. How often is it actually innovative? Not often. Android isn't innovative. It's a copy of iOS, put simply.
      Yet it was Google that had features like a notification and control (just to name two) long before iOS (and jail-breakers) did. So clearly you're trying to paint with a rather one-sided brush here. Yes, Google and various hardware vendors have copied iOS but the reverse is very true as well, and that's the side you seem intent on ignoring.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook