• 10 More Features of iOS 8 Shown in Depth [Video]

A few days ago, we showed you many of the new features in iOS 8, but there are many more features to be found in the new operating system. In this post, we'll show you some additional features that come new with the operating system and show you how they work.

1. Notification Options From the Lock Screen

The first, which you're probably familiar with by now, is the new Quick Reply feature. But what you may not know is that it involves much more than just being able to quickly reply and respond to notifications from an auki-like interface. It also adds useful new notification options to the Lock Screen, such as the ability to mark a notification as read, or reply to that notification directly from the Lock Screen without unlocking your iOS device. This is done by swiping to the left on incoming notifications as they appear on your Lock Screen, and performing an action with one notification won't disturb the rest.

It is worth mentioning that the Quick Reply feature works from anywhere in iOS whether you're using the banner style, or even the alert style notifications, and you can either reply with text, or you can reply with a voice message right from the Quick Reply interface.

2. Better Thread Handling in the Messages App

iOS 8 is also going to give you a lot more control over the threads in your Messages application. You'll have better deleting options, which involves tapping on the Edit button and then being able to select as many threads as you want and deleting them. In iOS 7 and earlier, tapping on the Edit button would make you delete each thread one at a time.

When in editing mode, not only will you be able to delete threads, but you will also be able to mark any unread threads as read with a new "Read" button at the bottom left of the interface.

3. A Keyboard That Predicts What You're Trying to Say

Since a lot of typing is done on our iOS devices, it's big news that iOS 8 will be shipping with a better keyboard that will predict what you're trying to say before you say it. It will actually take the time to learn the way that you type so that you can use the feature to help input words as you're typing instead of having to type out those words manually. It's a step in the right direction and is much better than iOS' auto-complete has ever been; it is definitely an intelligent way to type in less time than ever before.

The predictive keyboard comes up at the top of the typing interface and shows three word suggestions every time you input letters to try and guess what you're going to say next. You don't have to tap on the words, but if you see a word that you were going to use, you can just tap on it to save yourself a bit of typing. Since it takes time for this feature to learn how you would normally type, it may take time for it to become accurate.

Emoji is also pre-enabled with the iOS 8 keyboard COOL HUH?!

4. An Improved Camera Application With Additional Features

Not only is typing a huge part of the iPhone life, but so is taking pictures. Apple has added a good number of new features to the Camera application in iOS 8, including the ability to use a timer to take photographs. The timer button appears at the top of the Camera interface and allows you to set a timer for 3 seconds or 10 seconds before the picture is taken.

In addition, a new Time Lapse feature is made available in the application, which allows you to take a video that will be played back in super speed. What this does is allows you to record a lengthy process in what would feel like a split second to the viewer. This gives a new meaning to the phrase, "watching paint dry."

5. An Improved Photos Application With New Editing Features

After taking your photos, you might want to view them and edit them later on. Apple has included a number of new editing options in the new Photos application in iOS 8. You get the ability to favorite photos, take advantage of a much more powerful crop and rotation tool, adjust the lighting, adjust the colors, apply filters, and much more.

All of these features are available to you while looking at a photo when you tap on the "Edit" button in the Photos application. iOS 7 added a number of editing features to the Photos application, but you'll notice with iOS 8 that the feature set is much larger. This includes changing the brightness, contrast, exposure, highlights, and shadows values all manually for the preferred photo effect.

6. Better Controls for Sending Audio and Photo Messages

If you're into sending media to people with your Messages application, then you'll be very happy with the new Messages application in iOS 8. You will find that there is an easy way to record new videos, send pictures, and even send audio messages right from the Messages application. This is done by tapping on the correct button (either to the left or right of the text box) and then swiping to record, and then swiping to send.

The voice feature is perfect for when your hands are tied and you really don't have the means to type, but want to quickly reply to someone.

7. Passcode Settings Now Easier to Get to

If you use a passcode on your device, but you find yourself enabling and disabling it constantly for your convenience, then you'll be happy to hear that Apple has moved the passcode settings out to the main preferences pane in the Settings application under the Wallpaper and Sounds settings for ease of access. This means you won't have to rifle through several preference panes to get to your passcode settings and you'll easily be able to toggle it on or off, or even change it without all the hassle you used to have.

8. Emergency and Health Information Added to Passcode Screen

iOS 8 also ships with a new feature that will allow you to put some of your health and emergency information on the passcode screen of your iOS device. This works a lot like the newly-released InCaseOf jailbreak tweak and lets you easily add information to the Lock Screen such as allergy information, medical history, contact information, blood type, organ donor status, body information, and more so that any emergency personnel that get ahold of your phone will be able to see some general information about you.

This new feature is great, because if you have a passcode set when you're unconscious or in any other kind of trouble, emergency personnel will not be able to get into your phone. With this feature, they will have a chance to gather important information about you without having to do too much homework first, meaning that you'll get faster treatment when you need it, and quicker warnings out to your loved ones.

This is all set from a new Health application on the Home Screen of your device, which can also be used for tracking your health with a variety of other options or hardware that will be made available in the future.

9. An Easier Way to Report Bugs

Also available in iOS 8 is a new application for reporting bugs. This is an easy way for testers to report bugs with the operating system, although we're unsure if this is a beta-only feature or it will be available in the public release also.

Basically, you will be able to sign in with your Apple ID and explain the situation. With built-in crash reports, you can send your issues to apple directly and hope for a fix in the future to any problems you may be having with iOS.

10. Improved SpotLight Search

SpotLight search wasn't just improved in OS X Yosemite you can also expect a more powerful SpotLight search experience in iOS 8. Apple is now using Bing for search results instead of Google, so you will get decisive search results when you start querying something in the search.

Searching the Web, or Wikipedia can be done from SpotLight, giving you direct information when you need it without needing to open Safari to get it.

Be sure to watch our video demonstrating a number of these new features in iOS 8 below:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PrsK1H0NuJo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We will continue to keep you updated on new features that we find in iOS 8, so stay tuned! iOS 8 is currently in beta and will be released to the public some time in the Fall of this year.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 10 More Features of iOS 8 Shown in Depth [Video] started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 19 Comments
      Zokunei -
      Cool article. There was some stuff I was surprised I didn't know about yet. I'm pretty sure moving the passcode section underneath "Wallpapers & Brightness" was done in 7.1 though, unless that's only for the 5s.
      jackbauerctu -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Cool article. There was some stuff I was surprised I didn't know about yet. I'm pretty sure moving the passcode section underneath "Wallpapers & Brightness" was done in 7.1 though, unless that's only for the 5s.
      Yeah I think that was only for the 5S. I have a 5 and I didn't have that passcode settings option on there but now with iOS 8 it is.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
      patoons -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

This new feature is great, because if you have a passcode set when you're unconscious or in any other kind of trouble, emergency personnel will not be able to get into your phone..
      well, if you have a 5S, they can get into your phone if you have touch id enabled.
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by patoons View Post
      well, if you have a 5S, they can get into your phone if you have touch id enabled.
      Has TouchID been compromised completely or is this a bug in the lock screen health on iOS 8?
      patoons -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Has TouchID been compromised completely or is this a bug in the lock screen health on iOS 8?
      if you're unconscious, someone can pick up your finger and unlock your phone.
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by patoons View Post
      if you're unconscious, someone can pick up your finger and unlock your phone.
      Yeah, I just got it as you replied.
      Simon -
      I'm thinking that bug reporting app won't make it into the GM. Most likely just for the betas and developers.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      I'm thinking that bug reporting app won't make it into the GM. Most likely just for the betas and developers.
      I'm thinking that's probably the case too.

But it would be awesome if they left it there for us.
      Zokunei -

Yeah, I wish I had access to the beta just so I could report some stuff that's been going on since at least iOS 4. Minor bugs, but still.
      mlee19841 -

They probably would get to much bs if they left it their for us norms.

Sent from my Apple TV.
      Co1d Night -
      I have iOS8 on one of my 5th gen iPods. Its not worth it at all. Stick to iOS7 and wait for a jailbreak.
      Donnutt -
      I have the beta on my iPhone 5, everyday device. I like it. The only app that doesn't work with it so far is 1Password. Quick reply is awesome since I can't get iOS 7 jailbroken anymore.
      My thoughts, iOS 7 jailbroken is preferable, but iOS 8 beta would be next best thing.
      Tucnepo -
      As a non dev you can install beta ?
      jackbauerctu -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tucnepo View Post
      As a non dev you can install beta ?
      Technically no, you can't. But if you know someone with a developer account OR if you utilize one of the paid services (like ATFDL) you can have your UDID registered through them and THEN you can install iOS 8.

mlee19841 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
      I have the beta on my iPhone 5, everyday device. I like it. The only app that doesn't work with it so far is 1Password. Quick reply is awesome since I can't get iOS 7 jailbroken anymore.
      My thoughts, iOS 7 jailbroken is preferable, but iOS 8 beta would be next best thing.
      Does the quick reply work only for when the message is shown and you pull down on it? Or will it work if you have to pull down on the notification center and click on the message?

Sent from my Apple TV.
      jackbauerctu -
      Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
      Does the quick reply work only for when the message is shown and you pull down on it? Or will it work if you have to pull down on the notification center and click on the message?

Sent from my Apple TV.
      If you pull down from the notification center you can swipe left on the message and tap the reply button to pull up quick reply. It's actually really handy.

mlee19841 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jackbauerctu View Post
      If you pull down from the notification center you can swipe left on the message and tap the reply button to pull up quick reply. It's actually really handy.

Thanks. Can't wait till the official release. I know the jb will probably be a couple months after the release.

Sent from my Apple TV.
      Xx_Illusions_xX -
      Quote Originally Posted by The Amazing Atheist View Post
      I have iOS8 on one of my 5th gen iPods. Its not worth it at all. Stick to iOS7 and wait for a jailbreak.
      Did you restore to ios 8 beta 1? Not uprgading and restoring from a back up?
      PoEtikly -
      I have to say, I'm really happy to see ALL of these features in iOS. I love BiteSMS and cannot live without quick reply so I'm really happy about that addition (just don't know why they didn't add that a long time ago). I especially like the 5.5" option coming up for iPhone 6. I own an iPhone 5 and a Note 3 and I like the iPhones UI and stuff much better, but as far as watching videos/playing games I have prefer the Note 3 hands down.

• Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook