• Apple Releases the First OS X Yosemite Public Beta Build

Just yesterday Apple made an announcement stating a pre-release version of OS X Yosemite would be made available to users who signed up for the companyís OS X Public Beta Program. Those of you who are members can now use redemption codes, which are found on the beta program website, to download the public beta of Yosemite from the Mac App Store for free. The Cupertino California company is asking public beta testers to use their Mac normally and just leave comments in the Feedback Assistant application if they have any issues.

Much like any other unreleased software, the public beta of OS X Yosemite comes with its fair share of bugs including but not limited to the following: Safari hanging when playing Netflix, required updated versions of certain Mac apps such as iPhoto and Aperture, black screen issues when editing in iPhoto, issues with Photo Stream and iCloud Photo not sharing pictures properly, iCloud Drive appearing empty (may be fixed with a restart), and AirDrop features not working as intended.

Furthermore, when users install the Yosemite beta, they will be asked if they want to upgrade their account to iCloud Drive. Once a user updates to iCloud Drive, they wonít be able to access their iCloud Documents and Data on devices with earlier versions of OS X and iOS.

Unfortunately, for some of the features that offer a connected service between Macs and iOS devices such as the iPhone and iPad, users will need iOS 8, which is currently only available to members of the iOS Developer Program.

If you are part of the public Beta Seed Program and donít mind the aforementioned issues, all youíll need is a Mac running OS X Mavericks (which is available for free on the Mac App Store). Apple also recommends installing the OS X Yosemite beta on a secondary computer since the software is known to have several issues. Ultimately though, the choice is yours.

Have you had a chance to try the public beta of OS X Yosemite? If so, how has your experience been?

Source: Apple
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Releases the First OS X Yosemite Public Beta Build started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 12 Comments
      fourplay -
      smooth as butter so far.... everything works as I expect right now.
      NSXrebel -
      got my invite earlier, downloading now as I type!
      Sniper488 -
      Once installed, can you upgrade to iCloud at a later date if you don't want it now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Simon -
      Wonder how this will differ from the beta developers have been getting.
      luvmytj -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
      Once installed, can you upgrade to iCloud at a later date if you don't want it now?

Thats what the fine print said, so yes. Working well so far. Not a big fan of the flattened UI.
      c0deName_ZERO -
      Quote Originally Posted by fourplay View Post
      smooth as butter so far.... everything works as I expect right now.
      what do you Mean As Expected? Good ,Buggy...Perhaps?
      Sniper488 -
      Just updated, everything seems to work perfect!!!

Hope Flavours updates soon!!!!!!!
      XenoSaber -
      Got it running in a VMWare Fusion VM with 4GB of RAM and 2 processors on an i7 and it seems a bit sluggish to me. Don't like the flattened UI. Seems to be not all that much different.
      NSXrebel -
      Don't like the flattened UI but it seems not all that much different?
      Sniper488 -
      Mine seems to run a bit faster but I agree, not much difference for now...
      Sniper488 -
      Still some what themeable...

Sent from my iPad using ModMyi

Christophxr -
      Is this any different than DP4?
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook