• Report: Al-Qaeda Prefers Android to iOS

This is the type of stat that you can almost hear Tim Cook sharing on stage at a future Apple event.

According to freshly published reports from Recorded Future, Al-Qaeda prefers Android over iOS. Why? At least in one regard, Android has the same appeal to this group as it does millions of smartphone users across the globe -- Android phones are cheaper than iOS devices.

"The large availability and affordability of Android phones, especially in underdeveloped countries, is probably the reason for this," the report summary reads. Although Al-Qaeda changed their use of encryption following the infamous "Snowden leaks," it appears that the organization's dependence on Android has only increased since then.

"GIMF, another media arm of Al-Qaeda, also launched a new version of their Android software since our last post," the report author explains. "Interestingly, between these two new product releases this continues the bet on mobile and Android as the preferred platform for these groups."

So, does Al-Qaeda's strong presence on Android make the platform more vulnerable to attack? In short, the answer is yes. With the group more familiar with Android than iOS, it's a safe bet - though not a guarantee - that Android will see even bigger threats and potential malware infestations in the future due to Al-Qaeda's efforts.

Source: Recorded Future
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Report: Al-Qaeda Prefers Android to iOS started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 16 Comments
      Zokunei -
      *gets popcorn*
      Bo -
      *shakes head*
      gldoorii -
      *brings the drinks*
      edwilk55 -
      *laughs *** off and points*
      rickuk -
      So what, most terrorists and criminals prefer PAYG phones over Contract handsets does that make PAYG bad for normal users, of course it doesn't

Its the low cost of low end Android tablets and phones that makes Android favourite, can't see many terrorists throwing away their iPhones if they think they are at risk

iPhones are out of reach for most people in the third world, there are Android handsets affordable to everyone no matter where in the world they live
      ifu1727 -
      They find it too costly....

Sent from my toilet using iPhone
      twahl3583 -
      Is this a real article? Or am I just imaging this?
      Bo -
      thazsar -
      Own Android = Support Terrorists

Makes sense to me! [emoji23]
      swifty7 -
      That's one statistic that Tim Cook doesn't mind loosing to.
      scroogelives -
      Thank god I still wear my foil hat lol

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
      Bo -
      Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
      Thank god I still wear my foil hat lol

lmao, I have one also...
      hopethemodworx -
      And we care why?
      Co1d Night -
      Stupid article with no real evidence.
      brab -
      Quote Originally Posted by Co1d Night View Post
      Stupid article with no real evidence.
      And the end is the Top 10 stupidest things I have ever read:
      "So, does Al-Qaeda's strong presence on Android make the platform more vulnerable to attack? In short, the answer is yes. With the group more familiar with Android than iOS, it's a safe bet - though not a guarantee - that Android will see even bigger threats and potential malware infestations in the future due to Al-Qaeda's efforts."

Essany analytics at its best...you should quit "journalism" (hope this is not your only job) and switch to security research as you seem to have an amazing talent right there!

Al-Qaeda's elite brigade of 1000s of developers have nothing better to do than to develop malware for Android! HAHAHAHAHA
      Ozzie5374 -
      Michael, you really need a holiday
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook