• Guess Watch CEO Writes an Open Letter to Tim Cook Welcoming Apple to the Industry

The Apple Watch has created quite a buzz around both the tech industry as well as the fashion accessory industry after it was announced last week. Given it’s mainly a tech product designed by a tech company, many of the competitors in the space such as Motorola and Samsung shared their thoughts right away. The fashion brands also started to weigh in their thoughts and more recently fashion accessory brands are providing their two cents. Tag Heuer wasn’t the only watch maker to take notice of the Apple Watch either. Cindy Livingston, CEO of Guess Watches, recently wrote an open letter to Tim Cook about the Apple Watch expressing her interest and excitement as well as stating the company’s next move to “remain relevant” in the industry.

Those of you interested in reading Livingston’s open letter can do so below:

It’s pretty interesting to see that she remained upbeat and positive as opposed to taking the approach of many others who leaned more towards either mocking or dismissing the Apple Watch. The general positive response is quite classy as it shows acknowledgement of Apple’s push in the industry as well as highlights that Guess Watches will be trying to compete with its new partner at providing consumers with a respectable competitive product. In the end, the person who really wins out is the consumer as various companies will fight to provide the consumer a better product, one which will answer the needs and wants for various people.

How do you feel about Cindy Livingston’s response?

Source: Re/code
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Guess Watch CEO Writes an Open Letter to Tim Cook Welcoming Apple to the Industry started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 15 Comments
      Aenima133 -
      Not gonna lie. I think this is awesome.
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by Aenima133 View Post
      Not gonna lie. I think this is awesome.
      +1
      bigboyz -
      ^^Agreed! Finally a company that knows how to react to innovation. Can't wait till Apple Watch II :]
      Feanor64 -
      I can't believe people are actually gonna buy this.
      bisayakid07 -
      I guess Samsung should do like this to Apple. Sportsmanship!
      Silverado1987 -
      Did Samsung ever get a letter?
      Andy72184 -
      A welcoming invite because illuminati help the free traders and Jewish freemasons. Of course Guess would be a part of Apple. They're all in the same universal trading goods.
      bcrx7 -
      so Apple Watch II will be an Apple/Guess collaboration???
      droppingbasses -
      Pretty sure pigs will fly the day that Samsung will send Apple a nice letter
      exNavy -
      Someone is bucking hard to be the new VP of watches.
      jackbauerctu -
      "Dear Apple,

Thanks for making watches popular again. Now we can make our own smart watch and compete with you!

Love,
      Guess Watches

PS BIG FAN. LOVE YOUR WORK!"
      wiipro -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      ^^Agreed! Finally a company that knows how to react to innovation. Can't wait till Apple Watch II :]
      I'm waiting for apple watch II also. See, they shocked us all with the apple watch and the thing is is that at the moment, It's kind of bare. Therefore, they know that for people To buy any apple watch 2 they need to up the ante. A lot. all I want is a headphone jack on the watch!!!! Imagine! Apple Watch Sport, headphone jack for music using BT built in. Anyways yeahhh.
      nakedcrook -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      An Ugly UI and being late to the party is not innovative.
      roger1079 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jackbauerctu View Post
      "Dear Apple,

Thanks for making watches popular again. Now we can make our own smart watch and compete with you!

Love,
      Guess Watches

PS BIG FAN. LOVE YOUR WORK!"
      When did watches ever lose popularity? A letter from Rolex or any other Swiss watchmaker would have been impressive. I chose Rolex as the example because they are the most recognized brand on the planet and are far from the most expensive out there where luxury watches are concerned. Guess makes junk watches made to be thrown away when the batteries die. If I were Apple, I would be offended that a company scraping the bottom of the barrel of the product market just compared themselves to Apple.

This product will sell simply because Apple made it. The ironic part is the same people who made fun of people wearing Android smartwatches are now waiting eagerly to look like idiots swiping around and talking to their wrist.

The only thing I will give kudos to Apple on is the availability of an 18K gold model. This is the only step they took toward Swiss luxury, however it will not sell well either. If it is a solid gold case as has been implied, the watch will be in the range of $1000 assuming they don't markup the gold and the base watch is $349. That is a hard price to swallow on a product that will be obsolete in a year. Part of the draw to luxury watches is the fact that decades after purchase they can be given to kids as keepsakes. A watch with electronics will never fill those shoes. Good luck competing with Guess Apple as they already have the market corned on junk timepieces.
      StuG III -
      Quote Originally Posted by roger1079 View Post
      When did watches ever lose popularity? A letter from Rolex or any other Swiss watchmaker would have been impressive. I chose Rolex as the example because they are the most recognized brand on the planet and are far from the most expensive out there where luxury watches are concerned. Guess makes junk watches made to be thrown away when the batteries die. If I were Apple, I would be offended that a company scraping the bottom of the barrel of the product market just compared themselves to Apple.

This product will sell simply because Apple made it. The ironic part is the same people who made fun of people wearing Android smartwatches are now waiting eagerly to look like idiots swiping around and talking to their wrist.

The only thing I will give kudos to Apple on is the availability of an 18K gold model. This is the only step they took toward Swiss luxury, however it will not sell well either. If it is a solid gold case as has been implied, the watch will be in the range of $1000 assuming they don't markup the gold and the base watch is $349. That is a hard price to swallow on a product that will be obsolete in a year. Part of the draw to luxury watches is the fact that decades after purchase they can be given to kids as keepsakes. A watch with electronics will never fill those shoes. Good luck competing with Guess Apple as they already have the market corned on junk timepieces.
      I do agree with you. Although you can't really say they make junk watches, they make FASHION watches. Totally different type of market than what Cartier, Rolex, Breitling cater to.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook