• Touch ID Open to Third Party Applications with iOS 8 Update

As expected, Appleís iOS 8 improves iPhone security and convenience. One of the things iOS 8 does that iOS 7 did not is give third-party developers the ability to utilize the secure Touch ID fingerprint sensor. Developers just need to update their software to take advantage of the new tools in iOS 8. There are a handful of compatible apps that are secured by Touch ID which are already available on the App Store and itís likely that more will continue to surface.

As of right now, there are some applications that require users to enable a passcode or Touch ID support in the settings while others work by default and look for a fingerprint scan automatically once updated through the App Store. The Cupertino California company up until now has kept Touch ID secure by not providing apps access to any of the fingerprint data stored on the iPhoneís secure enclave. For those of you who didnít know, itís the same prompt that Apple uses to authorize both iTunes and App Store purchases. Users will also have the option to bypass the fingerprint scan and enter their lockscreen password if they want to set it up that way.

Since the fingerprint data isnít shared with the app, there isnít any centralized list in the iOS 8 Settings application of software that supports Touch ID security. In the ďTouch ID & PasscodeĒ section of Settings, users will only be able to control Touch ID access for iPhone unlocking and iTunes/App Store purchases. This leaves third-party apps to offer their own Touch ID settings for users. It should also be noted that Touch ID remains limited to five saved finger scans in iOS 8. That being said, users can still enhance security by disabling the passcode in Settings and also disable access to lockscreen features such as Passbook and Siri.

Touch ID is currently available on the iPhone 5S and is set to be included in both the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus which will be released this Friday. It's exciting to see what changes opening up Touch ID access will have on new apps with an additional layer of security that was previously unavailable.

Source: Apple via AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Touch ID Open to Third Party Applications with iOS 8 Update started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 4 Comments
      bigboyz -
      Yes yes..can't wait for some great JB tweaks for this..bring it!
      Cmds187 -
      same here
      SpiderManAPV -
      I'm curious as to how exactly this will work. For example, if I want to sign into Facebook using Touch ID, will any of the 5 prints work or will each one be registered differently? How will the app know which fingerprint does what? I know the article says that the individual apps won't have access to the fingerprint data, but then, how will the app know what data to use for the fingerprints? I assume the iPhone will register that the print is the same, but then how will it know what information to input into various fields? Will each app need to be configured individually?

It should be noted that I don't have a 5s and these answers might be answered if I had one.
      Al226 -
      Asphaleia anyone? That tweak already does this in iOS 7 and it does it fantastically well.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook