• MuscleNerd Warns Those Updating to iOS 8 Can't go Back to iOS 7 and Will Lose Jailbreak

iOS 8 was just released Wednesday afternoon, but just because the "latest and greatest" of Apple's software engineering skills is now out doesn't necessarily mean you should jump over to it just yet.

MuscleNerd has sent out a bold reminder to jailbreakers everywhere via Twitter that those jailbroken on iOS 7 should avoid updating to iOS 8. Once you update to iOS 8, you won't be able to downgrade back to iOS 7 to re-jailbreak your device, and you will have to wait until a jailbreak is (if it is) released for iOS 8.

To 2014’s new jailbreakers: if you update to today’s iOS 8.0, you’ll lose your JB and won’t be able to go back to 7.x. Beware!
    MuscleNerd also notes that there are a small number of users that will still be able to upgrade, but with very specific requirements:

(For completeness: The only group of users able to downgrade from 8.0 will be old-school iPad2 users with 4.x or 5.x blobs, using redsn0w)
    Those with iPad 2 devices and SHSH blobs saved for iOS 4 or iOS 5 will still be able to downgrade using redsn0w, but other device users are out of luck.

The message is more aimed toward the newer jailbreakers that may not know as much as the more experienced that understand the technicalities of the signing window. Shortly, Apple will stop allowing users to downgrade to iOS 7 after upgrading to iOS 8 in an attempt to thwart jailbreaking and to help keep all users on the latest firmware.

We also recommend that those jailbroken on iOS 7 stick with their jailbreak if they want to keep it. There's no telling if and when an iOS 8 jailbreak will be released.

Sources: MuscleNerd
    This article was originally published in forum thread: MuscleNerd Warns Those Updating to iOS 8 Can't go Back to iOS 7 and Will Lose Jailbreak started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 25 Comments
      Bo Troxell -
      FYI, Apple is still signing 7.1.2 if you may need to restore and re-jailbreak before it's too late.
      scroogelives -
      I think a jailbreak will come sooner this time as we have seen recently there are new teams looking at the jailbreaks! Just a thought but I'm also resigned to the fact my iPhone 6 will most likely arrive with ios8 on it!
      Bo Troxell -
      I don't think there is any doubt that the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus will have iOS 8 on it already.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
      I don't think there is any doubt that the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus will have iOS 8 on it already.
      Oh they absolutely will.

Apple even demonstrated it at the keynote.
      anmiller07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
      I think a jailbreak will come sooner this time as we have seen recently there are new teams looking at the jailbreaks! Just a thought but I'm also resigned to the fact my iPhone 6 will most likely arrive with ios8 on it!
      Not most likely, defnitley.
      bigboyz -
      I'll wait for my iPhone 6. Seems the new iOS releases always run best on the newest devices offered..go figure :]
      anmiller07 -
      I will too; hoping to get more on secondary market for my i5 if its JB. Two questions though:

1. Since I obviously can't restore and start fresh without losing my JB, will it be alrright to just "Erase all Data and Settings" when I sell the phone?
      2. I am getting the i5 unlocked through ATT - do I have to restore for the lock to go through? If so, I'm screwed...
      tungpr123 -
      I think need keep 7.x
      scroogelives -
      Quote Originally Posted by anmiller07 View Post
      I will too; hoping to get more on secondary market for my i5 if its JB. Two questions though:

1. Since I obviously can't restore and start fresh without losing my JB, will it be alrright to just "Erase all Data and Settings" when I sell the phone?
      2. I am getting the i5 unlocked through ATT - do I have to restore for the lock to go through? If so, I'm screwed...
      Cause your jailbroken I don't think that would work! I could be wrong but I've always had to restore
      rukavuda -
      Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
      Most likely lol
      I'm 1000% sure it will
      raptorjr -
      Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
      FYI, Apple is still signing 7.1.2 if you may need to restore and re-jailbreak before it's too late.
      How can i check this? Would like to do a reinstall of 7.1.2 since it is acting a little funny on my 4s, but don't want to do anything stupid and be stuck with iOS8.
      HovikGas -

1. That won't work, but not all hope is lost. There are packages on cydia that can wipe pretty much everything but leave your jailbreak in tact. Use cautiously though, because I almost bricked my phone doing that once.

2. No, it should just unlock automatically. It's the older devices that required a restore.
      Bo Troxell -
      Quote Originally Posted by raptorjr View Post
      How can i check this? Would like to do a reinstall of 7.1.2 since it is acting a little funny on my 4s, but don't want to do anything stupid and be stuck with iOS8.
      Here is a site I use to find out what Apple is signing.
      Firmware Links - Download iOS Firmware for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Apple TV / Just a Penguin
      aftab1981 -
      Hi musclemen please this time get full themes of jailbreak on ios8 please please
      Bo Troxell -

Do not use the "erase all data and settings" on a jailbroken device, boot loop city.
      You can use Semirestore or iLex R.A.T to get back to a fresh jailbroken state.
      gotmuscle -
      Quote Originally Posted by aftab1981 View Post
      Hi musclemen please this time get full themes of jailbreak on ios8 please please
      WTF?? There are amazing themes out there right now. About as complete as ever!
      exNavy -
      People who rush to update don't bother to read anything. The crying will start on page 2 I'm sure.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
      People who rush to update don't bother to read anything. The crying will start on page 2 I'm sure.
      The fun part is when I write a review and explain at the end where to get the tweak and then someone asks where to get the tweak .

But yeah, reading is certainly a great way to improve knowledge!
      SpiderManAPV -
      I honestly didn't even know MuscleNerd was still actively involved in the JB community. I mean, his website hasn't been updated, since, like, 2012.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
      I honestly didn't even know MuscleNerd was still actively involved in the JB community. I mean, his website hasn't been updated, since, like, 2012.
      He seems less involved now than before, but still offers useful advice.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook