• Interview with Tim Cook Provides Insight into the Creation of the Apple Watch

In a recent interview with Bloomberg which covered a range of topics regarding Apple, Tim Cook, Jony Ive and Jeff Williams shared some very interesting details about the work that went into creating the Apple Watch. According to Jony Ive, the Cupertino California company first began to develop the Apple Watch three years ago, before wearables even became a popular topic of discussion. Ive claimed that the Apple Watch was “probably one of the most difficult projects I have ever worked on.”

Ive continued by noting that a large amount of research was conducted for the watch which was recently unveiled. He went on to note that Apple had invited several watch historians to speak at Cupertino, even going as far as getting the French author and antique expert Dominque Fléchon who spoke about “the philosophy of instruments for measuring time.” As a result of the research, Ive ended up looking into horological history, studying clocks and watches throughout time.

The team along with Ive played around with a variety of interface interactions for the Apple Watch; including pinch-to-zoom, which the company even joked about during the unveiling. After experimenting with the design, the team settled on the “digital crown” which is a physical button that can be used for a variety of tasks including scrolling through options and accessing the home button. The next part the team worked on was developing a high quality wristband that doubled as a charging stand.

A large number of employees with various backgrounds and specialties worked on the Apple Watch under the direction of Jeff Williams, Apple’s VP of Operations. According to Williams, although Apple could have launched a watch just in time for the holiday season, it wouldn’t have been “at the fit and finish and quality and integration of these products.” As a result, Apple was “willing to wait” in order finish what they wanted to be “the best product in the world.”

As many of you may already know, the Apple Watch is expected to be available to consumers in early 2015. Aside from the fact that the starting price will be $349, the pricing details continue to remain largely unknown.

Source: Bloomberg via MacRumors
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Interview with Tim Cook Provides Insight into the Creation of the Apple Watch started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 4 Comments
      bry2k2 -
      And here's how it all went down.

"Gee look Android is making cool smart watches, we should make em too and call them innovative even though we are a year late, we'll just release of a bunch of features that no one can use right now or won't use at all and call it better"
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post

"Gee look Android is making cool smart watches, we should make em too and call them innovative even though we are a year late, we'll just release of a bunch of features that no one can use right now or won't use at all and call it better"
      Or you could read the article and notice they began development in 2012 .
      fleurya -
      I’m still not sold on the digital crown. I imagine you would need to grasp it with two fingers to turn like any watch crown, which would be difficult while on your wrist. But it looked like the guy in the demo was just moving it with one finger from the top of the crown, which would be much easier.

The other issue is zooming in and out with it. It seems fine, as long as the point you want to zoom in on is dead-center on your screen. Otherwise you’ll have to do a series of zooming and readjusting to center. I really hope they include the iOS-style double-tap to zoom on a specific area, as I think that would be a bit easier.

As the watches go, ultimately it will be like the phones: it will be the developers thatreally make it a device worthwhile.

Why are you even on this site? You clearly don’t like anything Apple and are biased since you clearly don’t read the content of articles and just ignorantly complain about things you know nothing about.

Is your life so empty and boring that you get some kind of fulfillment out of being rancidly negative and choosing to seek out negative attention rather than positive? I feel sorry for you.
      subreality -

What even motivates you to come to this site? Do you think you're being funny by "trolling the Apple fanboys"? I mean, you didn't even read the article. Isn't there anything else in your life? A woman? A job? Even a game? How is trolling this site even a form of entertainment for you?

I'm not even angry, I really just feel bad for you. What kind of horrid life leads you to post your crap?
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook