• New iPhones Do Not Have High Definition Audio Playback Yet

There were many rumors circulating the web in regards to Apple’s new iPhone lineup before it was recently released in many countries. One of those rumors was that iOS 8 would have support for HD audio playback and consumers would be getting new headphones with their new devices to support such a change. The Cupertino-based company however, never confirmed these rumors or made any statements for the iPhone or newly released iOS 8. Mashable has taken a step further into investigating these claims and has confirmed that users of the new iPhone devices will not be getting HD audio playback.

Mashable along with David Ranada, an audio expert, has found that the iPhone 6 does not have support for high definition audio playback when testing many .wav file samples at a 96kHz sampling rate with 24-bits a sample. They found that although the hardware inside the iPhone 6 is capable of 24-bit/96kHz outputs, HD audio playback is still not supported. This is what they had to say:

It's hard to conceive of Apple either creating a custom chip that's less capable than the equivalent off-the-shelf component, let alone downgrading the audio capabilities of the iPhone's DAC in subsequent generations. So it stands to reason the DAC on board the iPhone 6 is capable of sampling 24-bit/96kHz audio.
    Apple has the option however to update their newly released iOS 8 with high definition audio support through the headphone jack, by enabling playback of high resolution music at a later point. For now though, the company has not yet done that and we will have to stick with what we have.

Source: Mashable, MacRumors
    This article was originally published in forum thread: New iPhones Do Not Have High Definition Audio Playback Yet started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 10 Comments
      hogcia -
      Why am I not surprised.
      bbrks -
      Get serious people....HD audio without proper HIFI setup, DAC, amplifier, speakers or high end headphones......nonsense...ears would only suffer
      bigboyz -
      Apple never gives out all the goodies in one handset. You have to wait and wait and wait. Over time they give you what you have been waiting for. How can you upgrade a phone that already has everything? Its a business. I don't think i am missing anything.
      romeo_herman -
      You need to wait until iPhone 10 to get the perfection, with titanium body, sapphire glass, etc...etc
      Carvensno -
      From reading the article, sounds like the hardware is there, but software is not enabled yet. Maybe it will be enabled in future iOS 8 update?
      Donnutt -
      Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
      Get serious people....HD audio without proper HIFI setup, DAC, amplifier, speakers or high end headphones......nonsense...ears would only suffer
      Most people on this site are not audiophiles, and many have no clue what HD audio is, but they are definitely going to chime in on the WTH APPLE?? We expect pure perfection, and anything less is unacceptable....
      I'm kinda snobby sometimes with my audio, a hazard of growing up with an audiophile for a dad. But for my phone? Come on... Most of my music listening on my phone is through tiny earbuds or car stereo. I do AirPlay through my home stereo but most people can't tell the difference between a 128kbps MP3 and a FLAC file! Honestly iTunes plus(256 Kbps AAC) is good enough quality for probably 90% of my listening.
      plcrules -
      more reasons to jailbreak
      AB Project -
      Nothing to be bummed out by.. The majority of people won't notice the difference!
      anhtuanle84 -
      Coming from an iphone 5 to a 6+, I immediately noticed the output on the speakers is noticably worst. I have a pair of Bowers and Wilkins C5 and consider these one of the best earpods I have ever heard and very comparable to the etymotic Er4p. I was very disappointed that the output is not of high bitrate quality. Hopefully apple sets it up in the 6S+.
      Albut -
      If you want all the best bits, WAIT FOR THE IPHONE 6C!!

Or did I mean Iphone 6s!!!
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook