• Skeptical of Bendgate? Another iPhone 6 Plus Gets Bend Test, This Time With Witnesses

The iPhone 6 Plus is currently under fire for being easy to bend in one's pocket with a little bit of force from being squashed by the user's pants against their thigh. The handset, which Apple claims is well-structured inside with stainless steel and titanium, as well as industry-leading glass, seems to have a week point right below the two volume buttons on the device.

Unbox Therapy's bend test videos of the iPhone 6 Plus and the little brother, the iPhone 6, have become mainstream on the topic. Lou shows us just how vulnerable the device is to bending under regular pressure from the human hands, and even shows how competing devices don't appear to be phased by the force of his hands:

Because the videos have received quite a bit of negative feedback from some iPhone 6 Plus fans stating that the tests are flawed and even biased, Lou has decided to bend yet another iPhone 6 Plus, this time, in public with several witnesses. In his new video, the iPhone 6 Plus continues to bend with ease with similar results; he even compares the bend test to the Motorola Moto X only to find that the competing device isn't as vulnerable as Apple's new handset:

Consumer Reports has performed bend tests of their own and the tests seem to contradict Unbox Therapy's, so we'll leave this one up to you guys!

We still recommend that you invest in a case to help add rigidity to the device. In some circumstances, Apple will even replace some bent iPhone 6 Plus handsets under warranty as long as they first pass a visual inspection.

Sources: Unbox Therapy
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Skeptical of Bendgate? Another iPhone 6 Plus Gets Bend Test, This Time With Witnesses started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 36 Comments
      Zokunei -
      There's no denying that this phone is a lot less durable than its competitors in this respect. I think it will become a bigger issue but I could be wrong.
      Carvensno -
      I'm getting tired of seeing these stupid people bending the phones with their hands. Stick in their front pocket and sit and stand up repeatedly to prove their theory.
      justinpotter81 -
      Has Louie been working out? Why is it easier for him to bend this iPhone 6+ versus the one in his first video? He should've let someone else in his "audience" try to bend that motox, since it's impervious to his strength....
      pogglywoggly -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      There's no denying that this phone is a lot less durable than its competitors in this respect. I think it will become a bigger issue but I could be wrong.

Consumer reports did official testing and debunked this ultra easy to bend crap. Turns out the smaller 6 is actually able to be bent more easily then the plus. (70lbs vs 90)
      politicalslug -
      How about a bend test when the phone is in a case... like most people use.
      NeckboneNick -
      I am extremely leery about the 6 plus now. You shouldn't be able to bend the thing like that at all. I'm afraid this is going to be a huge problem as time goes on and could affect stock prices if they have to issue a recall or extend warranty care.
      Al226 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
      I'm getting tired of seeing these stupid people bending the phones with their hands. Stick in their front pocket and sit and stand up repeatedly to prove their theory.
      Agree!! I delightfully hope Lou fractures a finger bending the iPhones, to call him a retarded ahole for fueling this bending nonsense would be a compliment
      Carvensno -
      Anyone else surprised on how viral this is going before Samsung releases the Note4? I find it very convenient. I have watched the Consumer Reports video and stand by what they say since they are non basis. I have no idea who this Lou guy is or who he favors. Or has he gotten paid somehow from someone. But yes I question the 1st video because of the clock thing, but also question the 2nd one because if that phone was new out of the box? You should have seen the "Hello screen" not the home screen with icons.

Quote Originally Posted by NeckboneNick View Post
      I am extremely leery about the 6 plus now. You shouldn't be able to bend the thing like that at all. I'm afraid this is going to be a huge problem as time goes on and could affect stock prices if they have to issue a recall or extend warranty care.
      Really? Use common sense and the phone will be fine!
      mainc21 -
      Well all in all, I don't see this "Bendgate" issue stopping Apple's iPhone 6 sales either. How many more phones did they sell in the 2nd wave?
      canelo8 -
      I feel he's "milking it" for all its worth. He even says on one of his videos that he has been doing a lot of press and interviews. The Phones Bends like almost any other phone. If you don't like it don't buy it, If you are dumb enough to buy it even if it bends then deal with it.
      JAE -
      Dude is milking the hell out of this. Views = $$$
      Reymago23 -
      the iPhone 6 plus bends, that's no brainer by now, I'm an iPhone user and damn I hate to see how weak the new iPhones are
      sheltons.iphone -
      Every one of these articles keeps saying the little force exerted on the phone while in your pocket is bending them. The dude is putting a hell of a lot more pressure on the phones than just the little force from being in your pocket. If I wanted to, I could make my led tv bend too!

Quote Originally Posted by Reymago23 View Post
      the iPhone 6 plus bends, that's no brainer by now, I'm an iPhone user and damn I hate to see how weak the new iPhones are
      And all the other phones in the consumer reports test bent as well. It's called being responsible for your belongings.
      Carvensno -
      Consumer reports already said it takes 90lbs of force to bend. Unless you're a muscle builder and wearing tight jeans with your phone in the front pocket. Then it's not a issue! Consumer Reports is also non basis! Who knows what these other people making videos are making for profit or whatever else.
      Mahboi -
      This doesn't seem all that real-world to me. I mean, who the hell is gonna buy an expensive iPhone just to try and mold it into a boomerang? Decent care (and a hard case) will go a long way.
      gdd2010 -
      So, 9 fat assed hipsters wearing skinny jeans bent their phones whilst sitting on them. Seems to me, a poor fashion choice and not the phone's hardware.
      Kyori -
      Well, I think we have enough of derogatory comments. Let's face some facts. One, the consumer report shows the iphone is more vulnerable to bending than others. Second, 90 lb is not a whole lot of force and physics tell us the bigger the surface area the more force will act on it meaning easier to exert a greater amount of force on it. Therefore, even iphone 6 withstand less force but still iphone 6 plus is more vulnerable to bending. I'm trying to point out the whole picture not just number that doesn't really tell the whole picture here. After all the recent complaints, yes I would sav a lot of the complaints are real and could possibly happen. But, I couldn't say how easily it may bend in real life situation or how the complainers treat their phone. But, from what I think about aluminum and the touch of the phone, it is malleable which mean a prolong period of force less than 90 lbs could possibly bend the phone. What I really try to say at the end is use your discretion, nothing is perfect in this world, there will always be trade off. For now, it seems reasonably durable to take care with sensible decent care. If you or your job requires you to wear tights and do a lot of moving up and down motion then maybe this phone is not for you or you just have to leave it out of your pocket. Just don't expect this to be a very rigid phone. Use your common senses, don't expect everything can be treated the same way and it will be fine. Like aluminum is more susceptible to oxidation than plastic, so don't expect your aluminum phone to be ok but be in a moist area for long time just because the plastic does. For now, let time tell the story.
      hogcia -
      After all that talk, I bet you'll be buying apples new phone again next year.

I think this "bentgate" has been blown out of proportion, by companies who are looking for any way to stop the iPhone's success.

I have an iPhone 6+, which I keep in my pocket since day one. My pants are pretty snug and I have had NO issues.

Modmyi needs to stop entertaining this already.
      Jozelito617 -
      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      After all that talk, I bet you'll be buying apples new phone again next year.

I think this "bentgate" has been blown out of proportion, by companies who are looking for any way to stop the iPhone's success.

I have an iPhone 6+, which I keep in my pocket since day one. My pants are pretty snug and I have had NO issues.

Modmyi needs to stop entertaining this already.
      That is maybe correct I will wait for iPhone 7 or going for android device later this year.
      holyshnikes -
      This is such a worthless test. Who just bends their phone in their bare hands? That's not a real world test. When drop tests are done, they're done in real world scenarios (or simulated). This is just a guy bending the phone. Anyone can do that to any phone.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook