• The iPhone has Changed a Lot Over Time, and This Animated GIF Mesmerizingly Shows it

Over time, the iPhone has really changed from its roots. The device, starting with the iPhone 2g, was very bulky, but thinking back to when the device first came out, it was a real game-changer despite the bulk, and Apple has continued to make the iPhone game-changing every single year. Above, an animated GIF image shows the transition of the device, one at a time, so you can see just how the device has changed over time.

When the iPhone 3g and iPhone 3gs came out, we saw how a smartphone like the iPhone could turn into a real everyday device. With the inclusion of the App Store, and new software driving the device, it became very clear that it was more than a phone, but that it was actually a very usable pocket computer.

The iPhone 4 was soon brought to us with a retina display for better display viewing and improved A4 chip hardware for performance improvements. It was the first major re-design of the iPhone, which brought it from its bulky and round predecessor, to a thin and boxy style of device. The iPhone 4s retained this style of the iPhone with a faster dual-core A5 chip and the inclusion of the Siri voice assistant.

Apple re-designed the iPhone again with the introduction of the iPhone 5. Now, with a yet faster A6 chip, the retina display became taller at 4-inches. Apple did away with the glass and stainless steel in place of glass and aluminum. Apple kept the same design of the iPhone 5 with the iPhone 5s, which got another bump in hardware specs to the dual-core and 64-bit A7 chip (with the m7 motion co-processing chip) and the new Touch ID sensor, which replaced the all-too-recognizable Home Button.

Although the iPhone 5s may have replaced the Home Button, Apple produced a re-designed iPhone 5c beside the device, which was made from colored plastic and glass. It had the same specs as the iPhone 5, a dual-core A6 chip) but it was made slightly thinner.

In the world of today, Apple has introduced to us a brand new breed of iPhone the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus. Both devices have the same continuous design made from aluminum and glass. The iPhone 6 is the first time that Apple has went wider with a display before, but Apple even went taller as well. The device now touts a 4.7-inch retina HD display, while the bigger brother, the iPhone 6 Plus, touts a 5.5-inch retina HD display (with enhanced PPI). Both devices now have a new dual-core and 64-bit A8 chip, as well as an m8 motion co-processing chip, and have an improved dual-domain IPS display for improved color viewing.

We can definitely see is that the iPhone is, year by year, becoming an amazing every-day tool with more and more features with every release.

Sources: TUAW
    This article was originally published in forum thread: The iPhone has Changed a Lot Over Time, and This Animated GIF Mesmerizingly Shows it started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 17 Comments
      nakedcrook -
      If you did this for Android OEM phones, the gif would be 3 GB in size and would be ALL OVER THE PLACE!
      Al226 -
      Quote Originally Posted by nakedcrook View Post
      If you did this for Android OEM phones, the gif would be 3 GB in size and would be ALL OVER THE PLACE!
      LOL!!! True!! One Android phone released per second, people call it choices, but it's just an excuse, it's nothing but fragmentation.
      fluffybunnyabc -
      But nobody would care on a Apple forum simply because, well it's an Apple forum
      jackbauerctu -
      Unfortunately the gif isn't showing up on my iPhone 6.
      hogcia -
      Quote Originally Posted by jackbauerctu View Post
      Unfortunately the gif isn't showing up on my iPhone 6.
      Just have to give it time to load. (iPhone 6)

A side profile would have been nice.
      nakedcrook -
      Actually, it is choice. It is not an excuse. Android users have their selection of hardware based on what they like. If you like unibody, go with HTC. If you like a swappable battery, go with Samsung. Android OEMs are not shy about their variety...and that is a good thing. No two people are the same. Everyone has their quirks and likes. Android devices get much closer to the users on an individual basis.

If I want a phone with expandable storage, a swappable battery, a home button, a neat accessory with a software framework built around it, simple USB connectivity, and a large form factor rolled into one...there is a product for me on Android. If an Apple user wants these things...the answer is no.

Fragmentation has its ups and downs...but I rarely, if ever, see the downs.
      SpiderManAPV -
      Just out of curiosity, have you ever designed an Android app? That definitely has downs in terms of fragmentation.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      The majority of the market almost always sees the downs. Developers are in for a nightmare trying to make apps, and in turn, the consumer suffers:

Android Fragmentation - Business Insider
      novadam -
      If I want a phone with expandable storage, a swappable battery, a home button, a neat accessory with a software framework built around it, simple USB connectivity, and a large form factor rolled into one...there is a product for me on Android. If an Apple user wants these things...the answer is no.
      If an Apple user wants these things, they can go get an android device.
      fleurya -
      "They all look exactly the same!!"

There, now all the haters that troll the site can skip it!
      vXBaKeRXv -
      iPod Touch 1g speaker was one of those metal circle plates/speaker. So it only could make clicks. LMAO

iPod touch 2g bluetooth was found by someone taking it apart. Was not mentioned by apple at first.

I miss that old ants tweak from installer days 😜

iPod and iPhone '. OLD DAYS-
      Competed with eachother due to width in some way!

iPad leveled the field-

More GBs!
      buggsy2 -
      You probably don't see downsides...but Steve Jobs always did, and with essentially one model at a time created the world's largest company. He understood that designing a single quality model for the center, not the tech phillic nor tech phobic fringes, was the place to be.
      Slim J -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
      Just out of curiosity, have you ever designed an Android app? That definitely has downs in terms of fragmentation.
      I do agree there. Especially with the release of Android L coming up and switching to ART from the Dalvik runtime, there will be issues there. When I ran the Android L preview at first, many apps crashed for the simple fact they weren't designed for ART yet and after trying L again recently, I've noticed most apps are compatible (while many still aren't and some apps crash now that used to not crash on Android L). A new challenge for developers is to provide apps that will work right on ART for devices that get L and forward and support devices that are stuck on KitKat or earlier with Dalvik.

About the only solution to this is either for Android to have a sort of mini-Dalvik which will run legacy apps when they won't work with ART or have a virtual Dalvik runtime that can be emulated within the ART runtime.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
      You probably don't see downsides...but Steve Jobs always did, and with essentially one model at a time created the world's largest company. He understood that designing a single quality model for the center, not the tech phillic nor tech phobic fringes, was the place to be.
      I agree with this. He ultimately put everyone on the same playing field so that everything would just work. When you introduce too much diversity, features break and don't always work device to device.
      DavisMedia -
      Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
      Ahh, I remember the Installer days. Good times (before we even had an actual App Store).
      bigboyz -
      Simple and sleek was the keys to Apples cellular success. Its the reason I am still loyal. Everything on the phone works as designed. Ask an Android user about finger reader...none of them use it for a reason.
      GnatGoSplat -
      But if you want a small Android phone with a good screen and modern processor, you're screwed!
      Well, I guess if you want a small iPhone, you're screwed now as well!

I'm a fan of small smartphones. I'm so screwed.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook