• Pebble Mocks Apple Watch and its Designers, Drops Price of its Smart Watches

As Pebble and many other watch companies continue to deal with the impending threat of Apple’s upcoming Apple Watch, each tends to take a different approach to the matter. Guess Watch for example welcomed the Apple Watch to the market whereas Pebble appears to be making jokes about the enthusiasm that Apple employees have shown for the device. As of right now, Pebble has a graphic of one of their watches saying “Chill” with the words “Breathe, Jony. It’s just a watch.” written above it. Shortly below that, Pebble advertises the seven day battery life of its smart watches, where it takes a jab at the poor battery life seen in other smart watches such as Samsung’s Galaxy Gear and the Moto 360 by stating: "Why measure battery life in days? 'Cuz we can."

Although the Cupertino California company hasn’t announced the battery life of the Apple Watch, rumors suggest that it will last for roughly one day, requiring a nightly charge. That being said, it is likely that the company will continue to make tweaks to improve battery life as much as it can, which is why no specific information regarding the battery life has been released.

Pebble continued by touting its customizability and its relatively low cost while making fun of various statements that the Cupertino California company made about its Apple Watch:

"Overpriced trophy watch wasn't on our to-do list," reads the site. "Pebble is made by real people, for real people keeping it real," it says, wrapping up with the following statement: "Just to recap, we made a watch. We didn't solve global warming."
    In addition to boasting about its capabilities with references to the Apple Watch, Pebble also announced its plans to cut the price of both the Pebble an the Pebble Steel. The Pebble Watch will retail for $99 going forward while the more recently introduced Pebble Steel will be sold for $199. Both of the options are quite a bit more affordable than the Apple Watch which is set to start at $349.

Last but not least, Pebble also introduced various new health and fitness capabilities for Pebble devices. Following an update, Pebble users are now able to track activity non-stop and monitor their sleep habits. Additionally, Pebble watches will be available in more retail locations as they continue to try to expand and reach more customers.

Will the price drop or any of Pebble’s features convert you into a Pebble user anytime in the near future?

Source: Pebble (blog) via MacRumors
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Pebble Mocks Apple Watch and its Designers, Drops Price of its Smart Watches started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 12 Comments
      steve-z17 -
      That right there just shows you how much other companies care about their products. The statement "It's just a watch" is what seperates Apple from the rest. If they took that stance on all their products we wouldn't have anything close to what Apple is making today! Then dropping the price of their own device just seals the deal, they know they can't sell them without lowering the price.
      rodnutz -
      I highly doubt I'll get the Apple watch especially if it has to be charged every night. If Pebble had dropped the steel to $149 I definitely would have taken a huge bite out of this bait. I appreciate their humor and gesture though. I'll be on the look out for a coupon or another discount.
      luvmytj -
      Quote Originally Posted by rodnutz View Post
      I highly doubt I'll get the Apple watch especially if it has to be charged every night. If Pebble had dropped the steel to $149 I definitely would have taken a huge bite out of this bait. I appreciate their humor and gesture though. I'll be on the look out for a coupon or another discount.
      Where have you seen the steel for $149? I am in the market for a watch.
      anmiller07 -
      Pebble was the most useless piece of crap I have bought in my adult life. It's basically useless with iOS in my opinion. It had to be hacked just to be able to load up the music library? No thanks. I returned it within one week (while recovering from surgery, no less). Hopefully the Apple Watch will live up to my expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
      Where have you seen the steel for $149? I am in the market for a watch.
      They said IF they had dropped steel to $149.
      luvmytj -
      Yes you are correct. I seem to have skimmed right over that little detail after seeing that number. I would also snap one up immediately for $149. Here's hoping.
      Christophxr -
      "Overpriced trophy watch" isn't on your to-do list? Then what do you call the Pebble Steel?
      bigboyz -
      Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
      That right there just shows you how much other companies care about their products. The statement "It's just a watch" is what seperates Apple from the rest. If they took that stance on all their products we wouldn't have anything close to what Apple is making today! Then dropping the price of their own device just seals the deal, they know they can't sell them without lowering the price.
      I would have to agree with you on here! Not to mention, they are dropping the price to compete..not making a better product. That right there speaks volumes.
      Gamemaster77 -
      Then dropping the price of their own device just seals the deal, they know they can't sell them without lowering the price.
      That's what business do. It's called supply and demand. Usually a consumer would appreciate a price drop.
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
      That's what business do. It's called supply and demand. Usually a consumer would appreciate a price drop.
      Uhh yeah I know what S&D is...but Motorola isn't dropping their price because of that, their dropping it because they know they won't sell near as many watches at the regular price now that the Apple Watch has been announced. There's a big difference! I do appreciate the price drop but I could honestly care less with this product because I think it's crap and I would never use it.
      Gamemaster77 -
      Uhh yeah I know what S&D is...but Motorola isn't dropping their price because of that, their dropping it because they know they won't sell near as many watches at the regular price now that the Apple Watch has been announced. There's a big difference! I do appreciate the price drop but I could honestly care less with this product because I think it's crap and I would never use it.
      That's exactly what supply and demand is... The demand is going down so they set the price lower. Apple does this too. Every business does this.
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
      That's exactly what supply and demand is... The demand is going down so they set the price lower. Apple does this too. Every business does this.
      My point was that it's because of Apple that the demand for them is going down and that's why they lowered the price...and yet here they are mocking them making it seem like Apple has put too much time and energy into the new watch.
      wb4whd -
      I agree with you 100% I bought a Pebble and returned mine after only 3 days. I was NOT impressed at all. Now the Moto 360 seems to be quite useful, I have a co-worker that has one but I am waiting for the Apple Watch and will buy mine as soon as it comes out.

I don't know why people are whining about having to charge it every day, you charge your iPhone or any other Smartphone every night so whats the big deal charging the watch every night?

Pebble can brag about their 7 day battery life, of course it lasts that long, it doesn't do anything useful.

Quote Originally Posted by anmiller07 View Post
      Pebble was the most useless piece of crap I have bought in my adult life. It's basically useless with iOS in my opinion. It had to be hacked just to be able to load up the music library? No thanks. I returned it within one week (while recovering from surgery, no less). Hopefully the Apple Watch will live up to my expectations.

They said IF they had dropped steel to $149.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook