• FitBit: We Currently Have No Plans to Integrate With Apple's HealthKit

FitBit, the company behind a number of software applications and accessories for health and fitness, reportedly has no plans to integrate its technology with Apple's own HealthKit API in the new iOS 8 operating system for iPhones.

FitBit publicly announced this conclusion to a customer asking about the possibility of future integration:

We do not currently have plans to integrate with HealthKit. It is an interesting new platform and we will watch as it matures, looking for opportunities to improve the Fitbit experience. At the moment, we're working on other exciting projects that we think will be valuable to users. The question we want you to keep in mind when providing feedback is: What do you imagine a HealthKit integration would entail and what do you expect to get out of it? Your voices are being heard. We're actively reviewing your responses and providing feedback to our product development team.
    FitBit asks the customer what exactly he expects to gain from HealthKit integration, as it doesn't appear to be a part of the company's main interests. FitBit expects to see the HealthKit API grow and improve over time, or "mature," as the company says, and when the platform finally feels complete, then FitBit may take another look at it. At this point in time, it just doesn't seem like a valuable asset that FitBit could make any use out of.

Apple's HealthKit platform was recently unavailable in iOS 8 until a software update (iOS 8.0.2), which was released to fix large bugs in the system. As soon as the software update was released, Apple began approving the HealthKit-integrated applications in the App Store that they had originally pulled due to the bugs.

Sources: FitBit via iMore
    This article was originally published in forum thread: FitBit: We Currently Have No Plans to Integrate With Apple's HealthKit started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 9 Comments
      trevorrawson -
      That makes my mind up about which scale to buy. Fitbit's or WiThings. I use the Misfit Shine for activity tracking, myfitnesspal for food, the new company Sense for sleep tracking and I'm looking for a scale. What is great is that with Apple's health kit all of these can be used together and you're not stuck with just one company's product. App's like fitport offer a sleek way of reading health kit and putting it in a user friendly experience.
      scroogelives -
      Sounds like they want the users to be free product designers!
      ronfin44 -
      I guess I'll wait to integrate Fitbit into my life then. Pretty dumb not to integrate with Apple's Health kit. Missing out on so many more potential customers. .02
      edwilk55 -
      Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
      That makes my mind up about which scale to buy. Fitbit's or WiThings. I use the Misfit Shine for activity tracking, myfitnesspal for food, the new company Sense for sleep tracking and I'm looking for a scale. What is great is that with Apple's health kit all of these can be used together and you're not stuck with just one company's product. App's like fitport offer a sleek way of reading health kit and putting it in a user friendly experience.
      Same...I was on the fence since I have the WiThings scale and blood pressure monitor , but this just made my decision 100% easier. Thanks FitBit.
      odoggy75 -
      Fools
      Silverado1987 -
      It would be nice to have an app or apples health app that would work for everything instead of having to have separate apps.
      novadam -
      if you sit on the couch all day with nachos and a remote, you don't need any of these apps/gadgets. not a sermon, just a thought.

Edit: I just got a survey in email from FitBit about Apple HealthKit.
      Rcworship -
      They don't want to integrate because they want to offer their own product line that includes an array of sensors and apps. By resisting, they can keep you in their ecosystem much like apple does with their hardware and software. It makes sense, but may not look good to customers looking to be selective with their applications and sensors/devices. I foresee this putting a strain on their future growth, or, maturity😁
      mainc21 -
      I agree. I just recently bought a fitbit flex thinking i could use it for my health app until Apple releases their watch. If they aren't going to integrate, then there won't be a point in me keeping it. I like the idea of the Health app integrating the other workout apps etc so it minimizes the crap you have to log. If stuff automatically logs then it makes it that much better for the user. Especially when sometimes I forget to log certain things.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook