• Pizza Hut Exec Not Confident Apple Pay will Deliver

Of all the companies -- large and small -- across a diverse array of industries lavishing praise upon Apple's inaugural mobile payments solution (Apple Pay), one executive at Pizza Hut is taking a more cautious -- okay, pessimistic -- view of the recently unveiled service.

Despite being a pizza pioneer among mobile platforms and services for ordering pizzas for pick up and delivery, the venerable pizza maker has reservations about the need for Apple Pay.

“I am more pessimistic about Apple Pay’s impact than most people here,” Danny Sullivan, Pizza Hut's VP of global digital experience, is quoted by Pymnts.com today.

Why is Sullivan so pessimistic? The reasons are numerous, according to the report in question. First, it’s an in-store payment mechanism -- no eCommerce. Android users are obviously shut out (that's a lot of people). And lastly, there just doesn't appear to be an overwhelming need for this resource.

He reminded the audience that American consumers have no core problem with using rectangular plastic cards to pay for products in-store—magstripe devices that have worked quite well for decades—so much persuasion will be needed for any in-store mobile payment to gain serious traffic, momentum and marketshare.
    “I still don’t think the use case has been made,” Sullivan adds.

Source: Pymnts
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Pizza Hut Exec Not Confident Apple Pay will Deliver started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 11 Comments
      SpiderManAPV -
      Wired phones and seashells for currency worked for a while too... No need to upgrade then, I guess.
      Carvensno -
      To each their own. If they don't want to? Then don't! Just like I don't care for their greasy tasting pizza and their oven cooked wings that taste like they bought them from the freezer section from the local market. LOL
      XweAponX -
      Pizza Slut sux anyway, had your direct injection of grease today?
      Robmille -
      Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
      To each their own. If they don't want to? Then don't! Just like I don't care for their greasy tasting pizza and their oven cooked wings that taste like they bought them from the freezer section from the local market. LOL
      +1!
      Bo Troxell -
      Some companies can be happy with 20th century tech, I for one believe we move forward and accept the future. Mr. Sullivan, grab a mitt and get in the game...
      luvmytj -
      This means nothing coming from the run-down hell hole Pizza Hut has become. They should feel lucky anyone even graces their doors let alone iOS users.
      exNavy -
      They make **** pizza who cares what they think?
      bigboyz -
      I feel history has shown that companies that ignore technology get left behind. No offense to Pizza Hut but they closed the only one in my town for a reason..food stinks, service laughable and overpriced pizza. Maybe if they didn't use horse and buggy to deliver, they would be able to compete jk hahaha!
      lungho -
      "there just doesn't appear to be an overwhelming need for this resource"

What this white-collar dinosaur doesn't realize is that mag strips are on their way out. Mag strip info is unencrypted, which make them susceptible to man-in-the-middle attacks. Does Target, Home Depot, or Neiman Marcus ring a bell? Dude should pick up a newspaper once in a while.
      n00neimp0rtant -
      Statement saying that Apple Pay does not apply to eCommerce is inherently wrong. Credit cards saved with Apple Pay can be used in apps that add support for it. That's one of the main features of Apple Pay.
      steve-z17 -
      Pizza Hut is still in business??!?
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook