• Apple Sends out Email Reminders to iCloud Users About App-Specific Passwords



    The Cupertino California company has started to roll out emails to iCloud users who have enabled two-factor authentication on their Apple IDs. The emails remind users that app specific passwords will be required when trying to access iCloud data on third party apps. Along with the recent email reminders, Apple also published a support document educating users on how to use app-specific passwords.

    Although the feature was originally intended to be implemented on October 1, it hasnít been made clear why the two-factor authentication users are being reminded about it a week later. That being said, much like many other things in life, itís better later than never.

    For those of you who didnít already know, app-specific passwords are a new feature that the Cupertino California company introduced in mid-September, following the launch of two-factor authentication for iCloud.com. These changes arrived after a hacking incident that saw iCloud accounts of several celebrities compromised due to weak passwords. At the time, Tim Cook promised to improve iCloud security by increasing awareness around Appleís security features such as wo-factor authentication as well as email notifications whenever a device is restored, an account is accessed, or a password change is attempted.

    Will any of you be using the new iCloud security features?

    Source: Apple (Support)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Sends out Email Reminders to iCloud Users About App-Specific Passwords started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 5 Comments
    1. bry2k2's Avatar
      bry2k2 -
      Apple Sends out Email Reminders to iCloud Users "Your data is not secure on icloud, use even more passwords till we pull our heads out of our asses and figure out how to make you pay more money...I mean fix the broken ****.
    1. lungho's Avatar
      lungho -
      Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
      Apple Sends out Email Reminders to iCloud Users "Your data is not secure on icloud, use even more passwords till we pull our heads out of our asses and figure out how to make you pay more money...I mean fix the broken ****.
      The only things that are broken are the increased amount of technologically challenged people who use simple passwords. Followed by, the same people taking nude photos of themselves, storing it on the cloud, thinking it's perfectly secure and nobody will ever see them. Furthermore, the use of two-factor authentication is standard when it comes to Enterprise security and not a contrived conspiracy solely by Apple to "make you pay more money".
    1. plaintom's Avatar
      plaintom -
      Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
      Apple Sends out Email Reminders to iCloud Users "Your data is not secure on icloud, use even more passwords till we pull our heads out of our asses and figure out how to make you pay more money...I mean fix the broken ****.
      Android idiot doesn't understand two-factor authentication is a good thing and not Apple-specific. S/he also doesn't realize that simple passwords can be "hacked" anywhere.. But, hey, let's bash Apple, everything wrong in the world must be their fault.
    1. bry2k2's Avatar
      bry2k2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by plaintom View Post
      Android idiot doesn't understand two-factor authentication is a good thing and not Apple-specific. S/he also doesn't realize that simple passwords can be "hacked" anywhere.. But, hey, let's bash Apple, everything wrong in the world must be their fault.
      No one said it was a bad thing, but sad when its required on iOS due to Apple's multitude of authentication/security breaches in its platforms.

      Quote Originally Posted by lungho View Post
      The only things that are broken are the increased amount of technologically challenged people who use simple passwords. Followed by, the same people taking nude photos of themselves, storing it on the cloud, thinking it's perfectly secure and nobody will ever see them. Furthermore, the use of two-factor authentication is standard when it comes to Enterprise security and not a contrived conspiracy solely by Apple to "make you pay more money".
      icloud is definetely not an enterprise platform. It isn't built to be one, it isn't supported as such and if it is, god help its customers because their rampant security breaches will not be tolerated by the enterprise world.
    1. SpiderManAPV's Avatar
      SpiderManAPV -
      Rampant security breaches? You mean... One? Because people had stupid tiny passwords? That's still not an apple problem.
  • Connect With Us

  • Twitter Box

  • Facebook