• Jony Ive Offers Insight into Working at Apple in a Rare Interview at Vanity Fair Summit

At a recent panel that was a part of Vanity Fair’s New Establishment Summit, Apple SVP of Design, Jony Ive, offered stories about his time at the Cupertino California company in a rare one-on-one interview. He went as far as revealing that he doesn’t see copying as flattery but as theft instead. He continued by sharing his thoughts on design and the tech industry with Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter.

Much of his interview covered details about Ive’s routine at Apple, but when an audience member asked a question regarding the Chinese smartphone manufacturer, Xiaomi, Ive responded by saying the following:

I don't see it as flattery. I see it as theft. When you're doing something for the first time and you don't know it's going to work. I have to be honest the last thing I think is 'Oh, that is flattering. All those weekends I could've been home with my family.' I think it's theft and lazy. I don't think it's OK at all.
    Regarding his time at Apple, the design guru stated that the company selected him during a world tour forcing him to choose between working on the PowerBook or designing bathroom hardware at a UK ceramics firm. As you may have already guessed, Ive opted for working at Apple. He currently works with a design team of around 16 to 17 people that met three to four times a week. When asked about the current iPhone 6 and why it took Apple such a long time to come out with a larger-sized handset, Ive claimed that prototypes were in the works “years ago” but the result seemed clunky and not very suitable for the Cupertino California company’s standards.

Moving on to talking about the Apple Watch, Ive claimed he views the product as a move away from consumer electronics which hinted at Apple’s marketing of the device poised as that of a fashion accessory. He continued by noting a long interest in watches and pointed out that the wrist is a “natural place for technology to end up” considering how it provides quick access to information at a glance.

The interview continued with Ive providing insight into working with late Apple co-founder, Steve Jobs and key points of balancing function and design. Those of you interested in reading more about the topic can do so by hitting the source link below!

Source: Vanity Fair via BusinessInsider, Photo Credit goes to BusinessInsider*
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Jony Ive Offers Insight into Working at Apple in a Rare Interview at Vanity Fair Summit started by Akshay Masand View original post
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook