• Apple is Now Cracking Down on Complicated iOS 8 Notification Center Widgets

When Apple took the stage this Summer to unveil its new iOS 8 mobile operating system, roars of clapping hands and cheers filled the walls of the room where the special event took place. Apple was finally giving developers the ability to create third-party widgets to compliment their application experience.

These widgets are enabled or disabled by the user right from Notification Center and they appear under the Today tab in Notification Center. Widgets can have several kinds of uses, but as it seems, Apple doesn't want iOS developers using widgets for overly-complicated tasks, and instead, only wants widgets to be informational and to display information to the user in a way that the widget itself cannot perform calculations or functions.

Apple is reportedly cracking down on complicated iOS 8 widgets. The company is forcing developers of overly-complicated Notification Center widgets to pull their creations from the App Store. Among one of the more popular widgets that is being forcefully pulled is PCcalc, a calculator widget for Notification Center in iOS 8 by iOS developer James Thomson. The developer explains what Apple told him in his saddening e-mail:

Apple has told me that Notification Center widgets on iOS cannot perform any calculations, and the current PCalc widget must be removed. Needless to say, this is extremely disappointing news, and I am very sorry for all PCalc users, including me, who love the feature. I'm going to try to escalate the decision, but it sounds like it was made high up and won't be changed.

I've basically got 2-3 weeks to remove it, barring a miracle. I spent a really long time working on the PCalc widgets and making them perfect, so this is pretty crushing news.

I would be allowed to make a widget that let you to "enter a formula" but it couldn't perform the calculation in the widget. And yes, Apple is currently featuring PCalc in the "Great apps for iOS 8" section, under Notification Center widgets.

Iím not angry, Iím just really really sad.
    Perhaps the more ironic part of this news is that PCcalc is being offered in the "Great apps for iOS 8" section in the iOS App Store, indicating that Apple themselves have openly displayed that they enjoy the PCcalc widget for iOS 8. With that being said, it's so strange that the Cupertino-based company would be asking the developer to pull his work from the iOS App Store.

PCcalc is available in the iOS App Store at this link for $9.99.

So while iOS 8 may have an awesome new API for developers to take advantage of in terms of Notification Center widgets, it's really a shame that developers can't even tap into the power of the API because Apple will be judging what widgets are "too complicated" to be available in the iOS App Store.

Long live jailbreaking, where we can all be free from Apple's rules and install what we darn well please on our iOS 8 devices!

Sources: James Thomson
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple is Now Cracking Down on Complicated iOS 8 Notification Center Widgets started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 16 Comments
      edwilk55 -
      That is kind of pathetic of them...and really doesn't make a damn bit of sense.
      Jozelito617 -
      Dear: apple
      You idiots
      Amen!
      holyshnikes -
      I think some of the widgets look horrible. The weather channel widget looks terrible and doesn't flow with the way iOS looks like. I think if Apple were cracking down on those just throwing together junky looking widgets it would be fine. I think the PCalc widget is a waste for $10. No way I'd pay that much for a calculator. Especially when one is in the command center.
      SpiderManAPV -
      I personally think that should be the consumers choice. What does apple care?
      Blue -
      Wait. Isn't Yosemite having a calc widget ? Made by Apple !
      hogcia -
      Apple is a control freak! But we knew that already.
      Jahooba -
      Apple will probably come out with their own calc widget now.
      WHUDS -
      Pcalc light is free and has the widget for now, so don't update once you get it, this is the kind of stuff that makes people hate Apple! It should be my choice to use or not use
      kickerman65 -
      So users who currently have the widget installed, i'd recommend turning automatic updates off and never update PCcalc if you'd like to retain its notification center calculator functionality.
      Al226 -
      Which is why EVERYONE should jailbreak.

On another note: FCUK YOU APPLE for being so damn idiotic, I will ALWAYS jailbreak since it's the only way iOS is usable.
      cheaposity -
      There is an app named wdgts, which I have purchased "Premium features" which does similar things along with currency conversions , If Apple plans on removing this I hope the people who bought this app including me should be reimbursed on principle .
      itouch24 -
      Apple gives a little then takes back. They wonder why everyone runs to jail breaking. I used to love my notifications launcher where u could launch apps from Notification Center. Good for my favorite always used apps. Apple also made developer pull that. Let the user customize their device to what they want. Amazing we still don't have a scrolling dock, able to customize control center with custom apps and system functions. I can go on and on with jail breaking tweaks that make the iPhone so user friendly, open your eyes apple. You really want to take over the android community, then give us more customization power on our Apple products.
      bisayakid07 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cheaposity View Post
      There is an app named wdgts, which I have purchased "Premium features" which does similar things along with currency conversions , If Apple plans on removing this I hope the people who bought this app including me should be reimbursed on principle .
      +1 Love the app
      nakedcrook -
      Apparently, Apple thinks the user base is too stupid to be able to handle more than one or two UI elements at a time. I guess when old ladies and great grandfathers make up most of your userbase, you need to keep it simple. Grandma will get over-stimulated by all the touch buttons.

How do you people put up with such condescension? Is the Kool-Aid THAT good?

To all of you programmers out there...the wide arms of Android are now open. Flee the tyranny of Apple, and run to the embrace of freedom!
      jonas68 -
      Why are they cracking down on people like that. Common Sense hire the jail breakers make the phones a little more better.
      WHUDS -
      So apple once again show how they could care less about what people want, Apple and I are in a love hate relationship.

Jailbreak is the only way to show apple how they need to let go and allow owners of apple products to have the features they want!

To the Developer: Put this calc widget in cydia for like 0.99 cents you will make a ton, its awesome!
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook