• Apple Rumored to Wind Down iPad Mini Production in Favor of 12-inch iPad in 2015

The Economic Daily News has recently reported that Apple plans on discontinuing the iPad Mini in 2015, and instead focus on a new 12-inch version tablet dubbed the ‘iPad Pro.’ These rumors circulated from China, which also noted that they plan on lessening the production of the smaller iPad. Apparently, the 12-inch tablet is a response to the current increased demand for larger devices.

If you haven’t already noticed, the recent trend in smartphones is the demand for larger screened devices. This goes hand in hand with Apple’s newly launched iPhone 6 and 6 Plus- these being the biggest smartphones made by the company ever. We also have Samsung’s Galaxy lineup, which started the bigger smartphone trend. Apple used to dominate the tablet marketshare, but competitors are slowly catching up to the Cupertino-based company. Apple’s iPad was down year-over-year by 17% from 14.1 million in the fourth quarter of 2014.

Apple didn’t do much of an upgrade to the recently released iPad Mini except for adding another color and Touch ID feature. We will have to see what’s in store for the iPad Mini, but it seems like rumors are saying already that Foxconn will be building the new iPad Pro according to the Economic Daily News. Would you purchase the iPad Pro over the iPad Mini if Apple released a bigger screened tablet? Let us know in the comments below.

Source: Economic Daily News
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Rumored to Wind Down iPad Mini Production in Favor of 12-inch iPad in 2015 started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 4 Comments
      SpiderManAPV -
      I don't see why they couldn't just churn them out in much smaller quantities. Maybe they just don't make enough of sales of the mini.
      peacedog -
      I wonder if they will actually use the "Pro" name since they've already made the word "Plus" synonymous with a larger screen.
      holyshnikes -
      I hope they don't. I think the mini is the perfect size for me. Not too big, but not too small.
      Fenderbender -
      "Would you purchase the iPad Pro over the iPad Mini if Apple released a bigger screened tablet?"

This question doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Unless I'm mistaken, most people who buy an iPad mini do it because they want a smaller tablet, not a bigger one, myself included. I'm sure there are people who would buy a 12-inch Pro, but your typical mini customer wouldn't be among them.

If mini sales are weak then it's understandable that they would discontinue it, but I don't see how a trend of larger-screened phones applies to tablets. Apples to oranges.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook