• Microsoft is Rolling Out Office Apps for iPhone Today, Basic Editing Features are Free

Microsoft originally released its Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word) for the iPad in March of this year, and the iPhone hasn't yet been given the Office treatment.

Microsoft is changing that today by rolling out the Office applications for the iPhone. The new applications have been fully optimized for the smaller display, but don't lack the features that came with the iPad versions of the Office applications. The office applications are universal binaries, meaning that the same applications that run on your iPad can also run on your iPhone without the need for separate applications.

In addition, Microsoft is going to offering basic editing tools for documents to users for free, but unlocking the more advanced editing tools will require an Office 365 subscription.

The applications aren't available yet, but they will be in the next coming hours.

Sources: Microsoft
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Microsoft is Rolling Out Office Apps for iPhone Today, Basic Editing Features are Free started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 7 Comments
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      Who cares. Google docs is the way to go, especially on mobile devices. I would say unless you're doing a college thesis, you don't really need Microsoft office in your life. Although, excel is still a more powerful tool and really handy.
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
      Who cares. Google docs is the way to go, especially on mobile devices. I would say unless you're doing a college thesis, you don't really need Microsoft office in your life. Although, excel is still a more powerful tool and really handy.
      Now, it's been about two years since I used Google docs extensively, but I just found that there are things Google docs simply fails to deliver. You certainly can't beat the price, but to me you also get what you pay for.
      rickuk -
      Google is fine for basic tasks, but anything more complex Word and Excel are the world leaders. As for not needing Microsoft Office in your life everyone in business relies and expects every other business to also be using Microsoft products
      WHUDS -
      To pay for office subscription again when I have Stuff that works at fraction of the cost or free.

Yawn
      RockOn_23 -
      With "you don't need" you mean people who don't work in a serious business. For doing business with other companies you need a tool that produces documents everybody around the world can work with -- MS office.
      And btw: writing a serious thesis with MS office is doomed to get sub-prime. Here LaTeX is a much more wiser choice.
      WHUDS -
      Quote Originally Posted by RockOn_23 View Post
      With "you don't need" you mean people who don't work in a serious business. For doing business with other companies you need a tool that produces documents everybody around the world can work with -- MS office.
      And btw: writing a serious thesis with MS office is doomed to get sub-prime. Here LaTeX is a much more wiser choice.
      Are you writing a thesis on a phone and or tablet ? Really? 😁

I have used several alternatives to read and write simple docx and excel
      docs. They are quite good
      isCasted -
      Im glad office is free now. Freebie version has all the stuff I need. Its alot better than that stinky notes app by Apple
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook