• Samsung and Microsoft Devices Have More Detailed Color Accuracy than Apple's Products

DisplayMate has recently released an analysis comparing displays used in the newly released iPad Air 2, iPhone 6 Plus, Samsung’s Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy Tab 2, Amazon’s Kindle Fire HDX, and Microsoft’s Surface Pro 3. Although Apple’s iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air 2 ranked high up in some of the categories, it was revealed that they were at the bottom overall. There were four categories in the analysis and they were Facial Skin Tone Colors, Entire Color Gamut, Organic Colors, and Blue Region from Cyan to Magenta Colors.

The four categories used were to find an overall score for color accuracy. Apple’s recently released iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air 2 were pretty high up in the Organic Color and Skin Tone accuracy categories. However, the two fell to the bottom of the list when it came to overall accuracy for color. Ahead of Apple were both Samsung and Microsoft devices. According to DisplayMate:

Its seems likely that Apple has concentrated on the important Red to Green part of the Color Space, which includes both the Skin Tone and Organic Colors. On the other hand, both the iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air 2 are in last place for the Full Gamut Color Accuracy. This is partly the result of an over saturated Blue primary that distorts almost the entire Blue Region, which accounts for about half of the half of the entire Color Space and increases the Average Color Error, and also partly due to the less accurate bluish White Point.
    Korean-based company Samsung, took the top spot in all the categories with its new Galaxy Note 4 device but was tied in second place with its Galaxy Tab 10.5 and Microsoft’s Surface Pro 3. As you can see, Apple’s iPhone 6 was not included in this analysis and it’s because DisplayMate noted that it has very similar accuracy performance as the iPhone 6 Plus.

Source: DisplayMate
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Samsung and Microsoft Devices Have More Detailed Color Accuracy than Apple's Products started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 14 Comments
      buggsy2 -
      They just don't get it. The potential buyer isn't going to care about some obscure geek test, they want something that works well. iDevs deliver.
      Detroitking02 -
      Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
      They just don't get it. The potential buyer isn't going to care about some obscure geek test, they want something that works well. iDevs deliver.
      if it sounds like a isheep it's a isheep
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by Detroitking02 View Post
      If it looks like an apple forum, it is an apple forum.
      Carvensno -
      Sounds like troll, it must be a troll. Get a life, plus no one cares what you think! Ya I have seen your other posts.
      novadam -
      yes, iSheep want something that works well. guilty.
      Jahooba -
      This is smart of Apple. Diminishing the blue in photos makes people look warmer and more alive.

Remember, Apple makes design choices based on the fact that a mobile device is not a desktop computer. Apple is designing the best mobile experience, and one of the things that people do most on a mobile computer is look at pictures of people.

This is just more proof that Apple follows its own path.
      talkin73 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
      This is smart of Apple. Diminishing the blue in photos makes people look warmer and more alive.

Remember, Apple makes design choices based on the fact that a mobile device is not a desktop computer. Apple is designing the best mobile experience, and one of the things that people do most on a mobile computer is look at pictures of people.

I agree. In general it seems apple is more intentional about choices and come to he table with something by design. They don't just shoot stuff out that sounds neat without any real usability or value for the sake of having a list of whiz bang stuff in their press release. I'm sure they want impress customers but it seems far less haphazard than the approach taken by some other manufacturers.
      satvikpatel -
      It is really shocking but I don't care about it. I love my iPhone.
      politicalslug -
      Quote Originally Posted by satvikpatel View Post
      It is really shocking but I don't care about it. I love my iPhone.
      My thoughts exactly.
      PCYoda -
      Different displays, operating systems, programs, etc have always supported different color spectrums and gamuts. That's why Apple invented ColorSync back in the Mac OS Classic days, and that's why professionals that need absolute accuracy for colors use Pantone colors (in relation to created content) and have to spend money on professional color calibration equipment and services.

This is nothing new - and honestly, it's nothing that anyone really cares about unless you're designing print ads for Coca Cola or John Deere on your iPhone and really care that that signature red or green color is spot on 100%. And even then, even if it's slightly off, most human eyes probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference to an extent.
      quidam_brujah -
      Quote Originally Posted by PCYoda View Post
      Different displays, operating systems, programs, etc have always supported different color spectrums and gamuts. That's why Apple invented ColorSync back in the Mac OS Classic days, and that's why professionals that need absolute accuracy for colors use Pantone colors (in relation to created content) and have to spend money on professional color calibration equipment and services.

This is nothing new - and honestly, it's nothing that anyone really cares about unless you're designing print ads for Coca Cola or John Deere on your iPhone and really care that that signature red or green color is spot on 100%. And even then, even if it's slightly off, most human eyes probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference to an extent.
      Agreed: even if you're using the iPad for pro-photo work, you're only going to use it as a preview of a final product and not where you need to have anything sync with a print output or even other digital media.
      StuG III -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post

Is that a joke?
      psxcancer -
      The competition can't be Apple everything, so they have to pick one thing that they're going to be good at 😱
      LeslieBee -
      Quote Originally Posted by StuG III View Post
      Is that a joke?
      Not a joke. Sony has been doing this for a long time. Making a screen that looks pleasing to most people rather than technically "accurate".
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook