• Next iPhone to Reportedly Receive the "Biggest Camera Jump Ever"

Recent reports are claiming that Apple’s iPhone 6 and 6 Plus follow-up devices set to release next year, will have the “biggest camera jump ever.” Daring Fireball’s John Gruber revealed on The Talk Show podcast that he heard from “a birdie of a birdie” that Apple is working on the next iPhone camera, which will have a two-lens system. According to Gruber:

The specific thing I heard is that next year's camera might be the biggest camera jump ever," Gruber said. "I don't even know what sense this makes, but I've heard that it's some kind of weird two-lens system where the back camera uses two lenses and it somehow takes it up into DSLR quality imagery.
    The two-lens system sounds relatively similar to another device that was introduced in March by HTC. The HTC One M8 has a duo lens camera that gives better image quality due to the ‘ultrapixel’ sensor on top of the standard camera sensor. However, a company called Corephotonics has a different approach to the dual-lens setup. The startup company uses two different focal lengths in its approach, with one camera taking close-ups and the other taking wide shots. This option eliminates the traditional zooming option when wanting to take close up pictures of distant objects.

Since Apple’s iPhone 6 lineup was released not long ago, little information is out in regards to the next generation iPhone. Each of Apple’s iPhone lineup has brought camera improvements, but typically the ‘S’ models brought the major camera advancements. We will have to wait and see what Apple has in line for us next year after the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus brought huge success this year.

Source: Daring Fireball
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Next iPhone to Reportedly Receive the "Biggest Camera Jump Ever" started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 27 Comments
      isCasted -
      Apple, yet again, wants to copy other people. This is why I dont plan to upgrade from the 5 for a long time. Theyd rather copy than take the time to revolutionize.
      rickuk -
      I'm all for it as long as its rids us of the bump on the back of the 6
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by isCasted View Post
      Apple, yet again, wants to copy other people. This is why I dont plan to upgrade from the 5 for a long time. Theyd rather copy than take the time to revolutionize.
      I'm just curious what innovation you want in a camera. I'm not being antagonistic, but what "cool new things" can you really do with a camera? Better specs? This dual lens thing!
      plcrules -
      that comment didn't make much sense the definition of revolutionize is to radically improve on an existing idea. almost everything in phones that works well (cameras screens sensors) are all copied from other designs and everything is copied from other phones
      DucMike -
      I was wondering what 'improvements' they were going to bundle onto next-year's S upgrade & that's an improvement I won't mind one bit. As for eliminating the bump - once I put a case on mine, it'll be a non-issue either way. What else ya gonna have for us Apple?
      Cmds187 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
      I agree with that
      sepelcure -
      Dual cameras could provide 3D images!
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by sepelcure View Post
      Dual cameras could provide 3D images!
      Would be called copying HTC and that seems kinda useless to me.
      Jahooba -
      Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
      I like the bump! Flat is boring
      edwilk55 -
      Just because another company uses something that works well doesn't mean it's a copy....they didn't bump the megapixels that much and still have one of the best, if not the best, cell phone camera out there. So if the tech behind dual lens tech yields the very best result possible, why wouldn't they use it? Just because someone else did first. That a moronic thought process!

iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Rated Best Ever Camera Phones In Respected Benchmark, But With Some Unexpected Results - Forbes
      LeslieBee -
      Are you also mad at Apple for stealing ideas from Alexander Graham Bell?
      WHUDS -
      Quote Originally Posted by edwilk55 View Post
      Just because another company uses something that works well doesn't mean it's a copy....they didn't bump the megapixels that much and still have one of the best, if not the best, cell phone camera out there. So if the tech behind dual lens tech yields the very best result possible, why wouldn't they use it? Just because someone else did first. That a moronic thought process!

iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Rated Best Ever Camera Phones In Respected Benchmark, But With Some Unexpected Results - Forbes
      Agreed, What good is like 40 mp if the picture is out of focus or the color is off?

While Specs matter so does the quality of use and output
      javiert30 -
      Woooohooo a bigger, bigger, bigger iPhone 7 with 8" display and a bigger camera... Now we are talking...
      WHUDS -
      Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
      Woooohooo a bigger, bigger, bigger iPhone 7 with 8" display and a bigger camera... Now we are talking...
      Isn't this called an Ipad mini?
      Jrsrusty -
      This is great news! The iPhone 6 camera is already great, so make it even better is awesome.
      kalpesh78 -
      Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
      I'm waiting for the screen war to start on that watch. 4 inch retina display iwatch
      Jrsrusty -
      I'm excited to see what improvements they make with the iPhone Success Plus (iPhone 6 S Plus). I love my 6 Plus that I have now. Will be waiting for the 7 version and not upgrading next year, but will be neat to see what they have in store to improve an already awesome phone.
      matakibiker -
      Taking an already used idea or product and attempting to make it even better. Apple has done this well, and I expect a pleasant upgrade to an already awesome piece of hardware
      LeslieBee -
      Quote Originally Posted by matakibiker View Post
      Taking an already used idea or product and attempting to make it even better. Apple has done this well, and I expect a pleasant upgrade to an already awesome piece of hardware
      This is what Apple is good at. The idea of an mp3 player wasn't Apple's idea, but they made it great. Bill Gates likes to say Microsoft had a tablet long before Apple, but we all know how successful Microsoft's tablet was compared to the iPad. Apple didn't invent the cell phone or the touch screen, but they sure did make a great one when they created the iPhone. I could go on, but it just shows that being first isn't nearly as important as creating truly great products. So let the others whine that Apple is copying other people's ideas. Maybe Apple's motto should be, "Don't be first, be best."
      Jrsrusty -
      Amen Leslie.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook