• Official ProTube for YouTube App by iOS Developer Jonas Gessner Lands in the App Store

It's official!

The highly popular ProTube application for jailbroken iOS devices has been completely re-designed and relaunched and best of all, it doesn't require a jailbreak anymore. ProTube for YouTube by iOS developer Jonas Gessner is now available in the iOS App Store for the unbelievable price of only $1.99!

ProTube for YouTube gives you a YouTube experience on iOS that is unparalleled by any other YouTube application on the platform's App Store. It even beats Google's official YouTube application in terms of features and design.

As you're browsing through your subscriptions, the video previews are actually always moving with the motion of your device, using the parallax effect to its advantage. When you tap on a video to watch it, you are brought to a screen where you can see the video, read the comments, and perform actions relating to the video that you're watching.

When you tap on the gear button, you are brought to a selection interface where you can choose the video playback quality, and even adjust the video playback speed to your liking:

The plus button lets you create local (offline) playlists, and even add videos to your YouTube account playlist. That special little offline playlist is almost equivalent to downloading YouTube videos on your device, just like the jailbreak version of ProTube allowed you to do!

The share button will allow you to post the video to your favorite social networks, send a link as a text message, e-mail the video, and more. The music symbol button allows you to have the video play back as only audio, rather than video, which may be preferred over a cellular network, or if you're only watch the video to hear the music in the background.

So getting into the meat and potatoes of the application, we're sure you're very interested in the video downloading that is integrated into the application. You are basically saving YouTube videos into what's called a "local" playlist, which means that the videos are stored locally on your device so that you can watch them at any time; even when you have no Internet connection available.

Below, we have tapped on the "Create Playlist" button from the plus button menu and created a playlist called "Jeep" because we're watching a video about Jeeps. Since we want to save the video for offline viewing, we're going to go ahead and add it to this playlist. In the last screenshot, you can see that we've enabled Airplane Mode, and although Airplane Mode has disabled all wireless connections on our iOS device, you can see that the video is still playing (it has been downloaded and stored locally):

ProTube for YouTube also actively blocks ads and un-restricts videos that could normally not be viewed on a mobile device. The application also supports background playback, meaning you can background the application and YouTube content will continue to play even when you're in another application or you lock the device. Cool, huh?!

At any time, you can access the sidebar in the ProTube for YouTube application and you can access all of your YouTube subscriptions, settings, your YouTube account, and much more:

ProTube for YouTube is now better than ever in this App Store release, and being that it doesn't require a jailbreak to install anymore, it's certainly worth checking out even for those of you that have never clicked on a jailbreak button in your life. On the other hand, that's not to say that even those of you that are jailbroken can't enjoy being a part of the fun!

If you want to check out this awesome new release, you can download ProTube for YouTube right now from this App Store link for just $1.99.

Sources: Jonas Gessner
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Official ProTube for YouTube App by iOS Developer Jonas Gessner Lands in the App Store started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 27 Comments
      thazsar -
      That's pretty awesome! Good for him [emoji106]. I hope he's successful w/ this release as I really enjoyed ProTube back in the day
      Jahooba -
      Dang. I guess that means the end of the Cydia version.
      tnargus -
      Background playing is worth the price of admission. Purchased.

EDIT: Although when backgrounding there is a slight glitch in audio when exiting the app, and then returning to it.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
      Dang. I guess that means the end of the Cydia version.
      I think his plan is to keep both. Only the Cydia version will integrate with Bridge and allow importing. The App Store version is kind of a standalone product for non-jailbreakers.
      HovikGas -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      I think his plan is to keep both. Only the Cydia version will integrate with Bridge and allow importing. The App Store version is kind of a standalone product for non-jailbreakers.
      Wait I thought the Cydia version was still outdated... Has it been updated for iOS 8?
      Marklck -
      WARNING DO NOT PURCHASE does not download like the cydia version no way to export videos off it like cydia save your money
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Marklck View Post
      WARNING DO NOT PURCHASE does not download like the cydia version no way to export videos off it like cydia save your money
      It does download videos, but in a different context. You will need to read my article to see how this works, but it allows you to save "local playlists" of YouTube videos that can be viewed without an Internet connection. It's almost as good as downloading, and it's about the closest you're going to get on a non-jailbroken device since those without jailbroken devices don't have access to their filesystem and don't have a way of hacking files into their Music and Videos applications.

The Cydia version has by far much more capability because Cydia doesn't levy rules and regulations on software like Apple does in the App Store. The Cydia version can flat-out download and import files into the stock media applications on your device. But that is to be expected, since a jailbroken device can do much more.

If you're looking for power, then jailbreak your device and download ProTube from Cydia. If you're looking for an ad-free, offline-viewing, background audio-playing YouTube application for your non-jailbroken iOS device, then grab ProTube for YouTube from the App Store.

They are non-transferable because the App Store and Cydia are not affiliated. And, they are separate projects.

Quote Originally Posted by HovikGas View Post
      Wait I thought the Cydia version was still outdated... Has it been updated for iOS 8?
      The user interface of the application has not been updated to look good on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, but functionally, the application works fine and the Cydia description says that it is compatible with iOS 8, as is Bridge!
      HovikGas -
      It does download videos, but in a different context. You will need to read my article to see how this works, but it allows you to save "local playlists" of YouTube videos that can be viewed without an Internet connection. It's almost as good as downloading, and it's about the closest you're going to get on a non-jailbroken device since those without jailbroken devices don't have access to their filesystem and don't have a way of hacking files into their Music and Videos applications.

The Cydia version has by far much more capability because Cydia doesn't levy rules and regulations on software like Apple does in the App Store. The Cydia version can flat-out download and import files into the stock media applications on your device. But that is to be expected, since a jailbroken device can do much more.

If you're looking for power, then jailbreak your device and download ProTube from Cydia. If you're looking for an ad-free, offline-viewing, background audio-playing YouTube application for your non-jailbroken iOS device, then grab ProTube for YouTube from the App Store.

They are non-transferable because the App Store and Cydia are not affiliated. And, they are separate projects.

The user interface of the application has not been updated to look good on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, but functionally, the application works fine and the Cydia description says that it is compatible with iOS 8, as is Bridge!
      Thanks so much for the fast reply Anthony. In that case, one final question. I just checked Cydia and see that the Cydia version allows you to download just the audio, which is what I've been looking for. I actually don't need to export it, so does the App Store version have that same "offline playlist" capabilities for audio, like it does for video?
      studderman -
      Its gonna be a point in time that all these nice tweaks are gonna end up either in the app store or put in Apples Operating systems by default. I seen at least a handful r in the ios now, like quick reply was only a jailbreak feature, now its a option in ios... Stay tuned for more tweaks to end up in ios too
      Jj2345 -
      Scrolling is choppy on the iPad Air but I still love it on my 6
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Thanks so much for the fast reply Anthony. In that case, one final question. I just checked Cydia and see that the Cydia version allows you to download just the audio, which is what I've been looking for. I actually don't need to export it, so does the App Store version have that same "offline playlist" capabilities for audio, like it does for video?
      You can PLAY just the audio for videos in the application. And I think you can do that for offline videos too, but I'm not 100% on that.
      hogcia -
      Purchased it and love it👍👍👍👍👍
      Techsticles -
      Nice UI.

Browsing videos is fantastic.

Local playlists work well.

Some buttons are a little small. Hexagon buttons are a little weird looking.

Anyone figure out how to leave a comment on videos?
      Kaisei -
      Did people forget how he stopped supporting ProTube a few months in each time it was "updated" to the new iOS?
      Jokadaking -
      "Just like" downloading is not downloading! I download instrumentals for my music and use them for recording. If I can't retrieve what I've downloaded then it's no purpose for me to pay for this app! Sorry I'll pass! Hopefully he updates the jailbreak version to ios8
      novadam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jokadaking View Post
      "Just like" downloading is not downloading! I download instrumentals for my music and use them for recording. If I can't retrieve what I've downloaded then it's no purpose for me to pay for this app! Sorry I'll pass! Hopefully he updates the jailbreak version to ios8
      Standalone Protube app in Cydia works with iOS 8.
      Shady_702 -
      Yes "protube" has been updated for iOS 8.1 and is awesome as everyone remembers it to be. "Bridge" has also been fully updated for iOS 8.1 and I have been using both and they work flawlessly as ever so nice having them on the latest Apple software on my iPhone 5s and iPad Air.
      itouch24 -
      If jailbroken I guess the one in cydia is a better choice as it gives u more functionality. Can anyone tell me if u r able to copy text that is in the info center of the video? I know on the YouTube application u cannot. I have been using YouPlayer in which u can.

I sent email to developer weeks ago n got no reply. I guess he is not one for customer service.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jokadaking View Post
      The jailbreak version already does work with iOS 8.

ProTube from the App Store enables offline video viewing, ad-blocking, and background playback. Those are your main features. And they work without a jailbreak.

If you have a jailbreak, just get the Cydia version.

For those asking about support on the ProTube application in Cydia, where it is right now, I have received official word from the developer about the plans for the application.

The Cydia application will not receive any new features or design changes, meaning iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6 users will have to deal with the low-resolution "zoomed in" appearance. The only things the developer will support are fixes for when downloads break.

Jonas wants to focus all of his efforts on the App Store version of ProTube, which means only the App Store version of ProTube is going to be updated regularly.
      StormRoBoT -
      not just iOS8, its also optimized for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook