• Apple Sends Out Self-Promoting iOS Push Notification Regarding the (RED) Campaign

Apple recently sent out a self-promoting iOS push notifications regarding the iOS App Store’s (RED) campaign to help fight AIDS. The message just so happened to be a cause of concern for certain users. The notification read the following: “Get great apps and help (RED) fight AIDS.” The notification caused an issue as it plainly contradicts Apple’s own developer guidelines which state push notifications are not to be used for advertisements of any kind. Critics say the notification’s content isn’t in question and aren’t to be used for advertisements of any kind.

The critics are saying the notification’s content isn’t in question but instead Apple crossed the line by taking advantage of a tool customers agree to use in good faith. Other people argued that Apple’s push was of no real concern as it promoted a good cause.

For those of you who didn’t already know, Apple has been a longtime partner of the PROJECT (RED) initiative which is Bono’s campaign to help end HIV/AIDS in Africa. From November 24 to December 7, several popular apps, including first party titles such as GarageBand are offering exclusive in-app content to help raise money for (RED)’s global fund. In addition to the App Store campaign, Apple is to give out iTunes gift cards with select hardware purchases on Black Friday, with each card representing an additional donation to (RED) and will donate to (RED) a portion of all Apple Store retail sales taken in from Cyber Monday as well.

How do you feel about Apple’s push notification? Do you think it was justified? Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Apple
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Sends Out Self-Promoting iOS Push Notification Regarding the (RED) Campaign started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 10 Comments
      SpiderManAPV -
      Advertisement:
      1. a paid announcement, as of goods for sale, in newspapers or magazines, on radio or television, etc.
      2. a public notice, especially in print.
      3. the action of making generally known; a calling to the attention of the public.

I won't disagree that it's a very worthy cause, but the fact of the matter is that if they're contractually obligated to not provide advertisements then they shouldn't. The fact that companies feel like they can break contacts or agreements for "good causes" is bothersome. Who defines what a "good cause" is? No matter how petty or how good the cause, a contract is a contract and am agreement is an agreement.
      axb500 -
      Major faux pas. Mine were in French and I decided it was a jailbreak tweak causing the problem! No, just Apple.
      psxcancer -
      I wonder if it was a settings or something we could've opted out of,

I just checked my Notification Center and I didn't get one.
      novadam -
      Me neither
      Brandon.amos -
      Yeah, I never got it either.
      bigboyz -
      Does it come with another useless U2 album huh huh?? :]
      crouching -
      You probably have App Store notifications turned off.
      buggsy2 -
      I'm tired of the Sickness of the Month Club. Seems research and treatment dollars are allocated emotionally not rationally.
      SpiderManAPV -
      Do you mean by the individuals or the foundations?
      Jahooba -
      I got that message. I was surprised. But it's a stupid cause. AIDS in Africa is spread by unprotected sex. What do you think that money is going to do, hire someone to go around and put condoms on people?

I'm sorry, but the only thing that's going to save Africa is some kind of religious abstinence.

And c'mon, Apple, you're sitting on more than $100 billion dollars and you're begging US for money? You could single-handedly hire millions of Chinese to put three condoms on every penis in Africa if you wanted to.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook