• Apple Could Face $1B in Damages in Class-Action Lawsuit Due to Antitrust Laws

Although plaintiffs are looking for $350 million in damages in a case alleging that Apple created a monopoly with its iTunes Music Store, US antitrust laws are stating the final damages could end up being triple that amount, potentially even being more than a whopping $1 billion. For those of you who didn’t know, a class-action lawsuit which was filed 9 years ago is set to begin this upcoming Thursday. The plaintiffs are stating that Apple attempted to maintain a monopoly on the portable media player and downloadable music markets by issuing a DRM which locked iTunes purchases to Apple devices.

The folks over at Reuters noted that the $350 million in damages that were being sought out after would automatically be tripled under US antitrust laws. The Clayton Antitrust Act of 1914 mandates “treble damages” for all violations which is why Apple may end up having pay a significant amount more.

The trial involves a class action of plaintiffs who purchased Apple’s iPod classic, iPod shuffle, iPod touch or iPod nano models between September 12, 2006 and March 31, 2009. Jobs was ordered to testify on the case in 2011 and many of his comments are expected to be a key part of the trial. We’ll have to wait and see what ends up happening once the case begins.

Source: Reuters
    Comments 4 Comments
      unison999 -
      should be more than 1 billion.
      How many MP3 player manufacturer went out of business because of this?
      Part of the reason I refuse to buy music/movies/books/TV series/etc on iTunes.
      I only have iTunes to keep my phone updated.
      bry2k2 -
      Thank god, time to face the music again Apple, bring this disgusting company to its knees.
      iphone6969 -
      I agree should be 100 b!! They are greedy I may return my 6 plus due to glitchy iOS 8 and all there $$$$ can't step to the plate and do it right?? Every update has been a failure but that's Tim crook aka cook
      Carvensno -
      Quote Originally Posted by iphone6969 View Post
      I agree should be 100 b!! They are greedy I may return my 6 plus due to glitchy iOS 8 and all there $$$$ can't step to the plate and do it right?? Every update has been a failure but that's Tim crook aka cook
      Good return it and get off of here! All your posts are complaints and negative. Geeezzz.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook