• Mozilla Reportedly Working on a Firefox Web Browser for the iOS Platform

Mozilla, which has been shying away from Apple’s iOS platform for well over a year is rumored to be working on a flagship Firefox web browser that may soon make an appearance on both the iPhone and iPad. Although Mozilla hasn’t made an official announcement, according to TechCrunch, the pieces are falling into place for the developer to make such a move. Rumors of the move surfaced at a closed event in Portland.

The Firefox project manager, Lukas Blakk, said the following in a tweet regarding the matter:

We need to be where our users are so we're going to get Firefox on iOS.
    Furthermore, a twitter post from Matthew Ruttley, the manager of data science at Mozilla, showed a photo of what appears to be Mozilla VP of Firefox, Jonathan Nightingale speaking in front of a slide that clearly show’s Apple’s iPhone 6 and said:

Firefox for iOS!! Let's do this!!!
    If an iOS-compatible iteration of the Firefox app is created the move would mark a change in policy from the one instated under the former CEO, Gary Kovacs. For those of you who didn’t know, Kovacs just last year stated that in no uncertain terms would a Firefox for iOS app be considered until Apple relaxes its rule on third-party web engines. The company’s then-VP, Jay Sullivan said the same prior to that. From Apple’s perspective, it’s likely the company keeps iOS closed for various reasons with the main one being security.

We’ll have to wait and see but for many of you Firefox-enthusiasts, this is great news as it conveys a change in mentality for the company and gives us hope!

Source: TechCrunch, Twitter
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Mozilla Reportedly Working on a Firefox Web Browser for the iOS Platform started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 13 Comments
      Eonhpi -
      Its about time

Sent from space
      SpiderManAPV -
      I'll probably still use chrome as I personally prefer it, but I'd definitely give it a shot at least.
      Jahooba -
      A Firefox browser on iOS would be nice just to have my thousands of bookmarks synced with my iPhone.

Firefox Home sort of did this but it was not a browser.
      canelo8 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Eonhpi View Post
      Its about time

Sent from space
      It won't make any difference apple won't allow it to run freely. If will be safari in the background unless jailbreak is done.
      docmagoo2 -
      A browser is a browser is a browser although I love Firefox
      pkmaximum -
      I know it won't be the same as full fledge firefox, but it will be great if all the plugin and sync support is there. Too bad there is no release window....
      Jahooba -
      I wonder if a mobile Firefox would allow plugins, like maybe Adblock.
      pkmaximum -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
      I wonder if a mobile Firefox would allow plugins, like maybe Adblock.
      Exactly, definitely my most desired plugin.
      SpiderManAPV -
      I tend to doubt Apple would allow plugins. It'd be fantastic, but I just can't see Apple going with it.
      pkmaximum -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
      I tend to doubt Apple would allow plugins. It'd be fantastic, but I just can't see Apple going with it.
      But they're already browsers in the App store That do support plug-ins mercury pro is a great example of this supports last pass I block etc.
      WHUDS -
      Quote Originally Posted by pkmaximum View Post
      But they're already browsers in the App store That do support plug-ins mercury pro is a great example of this supports last pass I block etc.
      Mercury is great and has an emulation setting for Fire Fox ( which I need for a couple web sites) but it needs updates and the developers seem behind with it
      pkmaximum -
      Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
      Mercury is great and has an emulation setting for Fire Fox ( which I need for a couple web sites) but it needs updates and the developers seem behind with it
      I can definitely agree with that. My initial point was just in explaining there are already browsers in the App Store that do support extensions so there would be no reason why an official Mozilla browser couldn't as well regardless of Apple's restrictions.
      King_O_Hill -
      Doesn't matter what browser GUI that you use, it is still Safari in the end!
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook