• New Reports Claim Aaron Sorkin Wanted Tom Cruise to Play Steve Jobs in Biopic

It wasn’t long ago Sony Pictures was attacked by hackers and had approximately 100 terabytes of data taken from them, which included a ton of confidential information. Things like social security numbers, scripts, emails and more were stolen from the database. Recent reports are claiming that emails that have to do with Aaron Sorkin’s Steve Jobs biopic was leaked before Universal Studios had bought production rights from Sony. According to Ars Technica, Sorkin wanted actor Tom Cruise to play Steve Jobs’ role in the film but director Danny Boyle felt that Cruise’s age would be a problem. It was also noted that the film would feature three products that were launched by Jobs.

I just got off the phone with Danny who's concerned about the age but I think I got him thinking about it and he's going to look at some scenes from Lions for Lambs where Tom's basically auditioning for Jobs. He's also concerned that the choice will be met with derision because it's such a commercial choice but I honestly think that ends up working for us. Tom's going to surprise some people and they'll want to reward that. I don't think we'd have to recast Woz. Seth's the right age in the first act and Tom's the right age in the third. And the movie announces itself pretty quickly as not being literal---as being a painting rather than a photograph. Look, I wouldn't cast Clint Eastwood but if I saw Tom Cruise flying around the backstage corridors of Symphony Hall I wouldn't think he was too old. I think it would be dazzling performance.
    Boyle apparently had his eyes set on Michael Fassbender over Cruise and insisted on Fassbender playing Jobs’ role. Sorkin was not completely satisfied with Boyle’s choice in the actor for the film, but ended up accepting it anyway. Ars Technica revlead the following:

Sorkin replied, "This used to be an event. I don't know who Michael Fassbender is and the rest of the world isn't going to care. This is insane." But in the exchange that followed, he wrote, "F*** it. He's a great actor whose time has come."
    Some of the stolen emails also suggested that Matthew McConaughey and Tobey Maguire showed interest in taking on the lead role before Fassbender received the role. Actor Tom Hanks was apparently interested in taking on the role of John Sculley before Jeff Daniels was rumored to take on the part.

Source: Ars Technica
    This article was originally published in forum thread: New Reports Claim Aaron Sorkin Wanted Tom Cruise to Play Steve Jobs in Biopic started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 1 Comment
      jsuddu0109 -
      It seems like the only person not rumored for this biopic is Jobs himself. Maybe they should just use a hologram like the ones for Michael Jackson and Tupac. lol
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook