• Apple CEO Tim Cook Loses Time's Person of the Year to Ebola Fighters



    A few days ago, we announced the final eight contenders on Time’s Person of the Year shortlist, and Apple CEO Tim Cook was on that list. However, he was going up against quite a bit of competition this year including Ebola caregivers, Alibaba’s Jack Ma, Ferguson protestors among a few others. It was revealed today that Tim Cook has lost the title of Time’s 2014 Person of the Year again, but this time to healthcare workers who are helping battle Ebola in Africa. According to Nancy Gibbs, Time’s editor,

    Ebola is a war, and a warning. The global health system is nowhere close to strong enough to keep us safe from infectious disease, and 'us' means everyone, not just those in faraway places where this is one threat among many that claim lives every day. The rest of the world can sleep at night because a group of men and women are willing to stand and fight.
    Cook came in second place back in 2012 when he was nominated as well, but that time he lost to President Barack Obama. Some other competitors on this year’s shortlist included pop singer Taylor Swift, Russian President Vladmir Putin, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, and acting President of Iraqi Kurdistan Region Masoud Barzani. When Cook was one of the last eight contenders, Gibbs noted:

    Everyone wondered whether he could live up to Steve Jobs's legacy at Apple of reinventing whole categories regularly. With the Apple Watch, we think he stands a good chance of doing that.
    Source: Time
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple CEO Tim Cook Loses Time's Person of the Year to Ebola Fighters started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 13 Comments
    1. gldoorii's Avatar
      gldoorii -
      I don't really get it...but ok.. Ebola isn't new.. It's killed plenty for years.. But only when we allow it to come into the US..THEN it's worth recognizing these people as "Person of the Year".. wtf?
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      No offense to Tim but what has he done to be person of the year? I don't get these awards of mediocrity. Do something worthy of an award. Ebola has been around for a long time. Many have fought it..guess this year is their year.
    1. SpiderManAPV's Avatar
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      No offense to Tim but what has he done to be person of the year? I don't get these awards of mediocrity. Do something worthy of an award. Ebola has been around for a long time. Many have fought it..guess this year is their year.
      I think it was something about standing up for gay rights in the workplace or something like that.
    1. Answer1o1's Avatar
      Answer1o1 -
      It's all politics. These type of awards don't even make sense..
    1. holyshnikes's Avatar
      holyshnikes -
      I'm sure Tim doesn't mind.
    1. Truffol's Avatar
      Truffol -
      What has Tim done besides unveiling the Apple watch? (for the world I mean, not for Apple)
    1. NSXrebel's Avatar
      NSXrebel -
      What's Ebola? /s

      Notice how all of a sudden we don't hear a peep about Ebola in the news?
      Makes you wonder what Obama/govt were trying to distract the masses from.

      Food for thought.
    1. exNavy's Avatar
      exNavy -
      Apple's ceo didn't deserve to be in the top 10 for person of the year. He runs a tech company for crying out loud.
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      why is this so important? person of the year was only ever designed to sell Time magazines.
    1. jsuddu0109's Avatar
      jsuddu0109 -
      Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
      Apple's ceo didn't deserve to be in the top 10 for person of the year. He runs a tech company for crying out loud.
      You're probably right, but at least Putin didn't win haha
    1. SpiderManAPV's Avatar
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by jsuddu0109 View Post
      You're probably right, but at least Putin didn't win haha
      It's not the best person of the year, but the most influential person of the year. I personally think Putin should've won. Him or the ISIS leader.
    1. jsuddu0109's Avatar
      jsuddu0109 -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
      It's not the best person of the year, but the most influential person of the year. I personally think Putin should've won. Him or the ISIS leader.
      I see your point, but I just think Putin looks too much like a James Bond villain to be on the cover of any magazine, much less Time. Lol
    1. NSXrebel's Avatar
      NSXrebel -
      Quote Originally Posted by jsuddu0109 View Post
      I see your point, but I just think Putin looks too much like a James Bond villain to be on the cover of any magazine, much less Time. Lol

      He looks more like a James Bond to me rather than a villain, if we go by Daniel Craig's 007
  • Connect With Us

  • Twitter Box

  • Facebook