• New Reports Claim Samsung will Copy Apple's Touch ID Sensor in Upcoming Galaxy S6

Just recently we reported about rumors going around saying Korean-based company Samsung has plans on copying Apple’s digital crown on its next smartwatch. New reports coming from SamMobile are now claiming that Samsung has plans on copying Apple’s Touch ID feature for its next flaghship device, the Galaxy S6 as well. We can’t say we are surprised that Samsung will be copying features Apple has already rolled out. But back-to-back reports just seem a little out of hand at this point.

When Samsung released its S5 device, it seemed to have underperformed in overall sales. This was most likely the case because Apple had just launched their iPhone 6 lineup. SamMobile reported that the company will be incorporating a fingerprint sensor to replace the current swipe-style sensor. The upcoming fingerprint sensor is supposed to be very similar to Touch ID, both using fingerprints to unlock devices. SamMobile also reported that the current finger movement sensor found in Galaxy devices will be switched out to enlarged home buttons in order to accommodate the sensor.

It was noted that the company may look to Fingerprint Cards, a Swedish company to help with the sensors in the next flagship device. Those curious in seeing what the new feature will look like on the Galaxy S6 should expect to see the unveiling in Barcelona during the yearly Mobile World Congress held in March.

Source: SamMobile
    This article was originally published in forum thread: New Reports Claim Samsung will Copy Apple's Touch ID Sensor in Upcoming Galaxy S6 started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 13 Comments
      cbrm -
      Perfect, now they just have to make it have iOS 9
      sussudio13 -
      I wish space grey was really that dark.
      jetsetjoey -
      I wonder how Samsung can "copy" Apple's Touch ID because you could expect a PATENT should prevent them from doing that... unless they are going to be paying a royalty... or unless the patent belongs to another company. Any thoughts anyone???
      jetsetjoey -
      They should make an app for the iPhone that when a [valid] fingerprint is scanned, it can also unlock your desktop, automobile, house, etc...
      rickuk -
      Anything that improves security on other phones has to be good
      bmwraw8482 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jetsetjoey View Post
      They should make an app for the iPhone that when a [valid] fingerprint is scanned, it can also unlock your desktop, automobile, house, etc...
      They do...
      Vivint (and probably others) use Touch ID to open their app, which unlocks my doors, etc 😜
      holyshnikes -
      They could probably make the phone. Apple will sue, and it'll be tied up in court for 12 years.
      Jahooba -
      I wonder how Samsung can "copy" Apple's Touch ID because you could expect a PATENT should prevent them from doing that... unless they are going to be paying a royalty... or unless the patent belongs to another company. Any thoughts anyone???
      I think we all know that Samsung doesn't care about patents. They're perfectly willing to wage a war of attrition if it means selling more handsets and increasing their user base.

Copy Apple blatantly - go to court for a decade through appeals - by the time it's settled they'll have gained a billion users and they'll just pay the now-paltry fine. Repeat.
      twigwonderkid -
      WOW
      Sammy copying Apple !
      Why spend millions in innovation when Korea can just copy u
      Gamemaster77 -
      I don't seem to understand. Fingerprint scanning technology is not new. If Samsung is designing their own sensors then what exactly are they copying?
      kelvin__ -
      Samsuck is doing it again ? Haha
      thevmax -
      Perfect! Now when a thief steals your iphone, the would basically have the keys to everything you own!
      Be careful what you ask for, you might get it!:
      charliebordelon84 -
      Is the theif stealing my thumb too?
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook