• Microsoft Announces Windows 10 Upgrades Will Be Free, But Only for One Year

Microsoft made the announcement on Wednesday in a Windows 10 briefing that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade. Unfortunately, there is a pretty big catch.

Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 users are the only ones that will be able to take advantage of the free upgrade, and the major catch is that the free upgrade will only be available for one year. After that one year, Microsoft will charge you to upgrade to Windows 10.

This compares to Apple's way of doing things, although Apple does it better because Apple doesn't set a time limit on when you're allowed to upgrade for free. Apple allows you to upgrade your operating system every year for free from the Mac App Store, assuming you have a machine that supports the operating system.

Microsoft will also keep the operating system updated on a regular basis with improvements and security updates, like they do with any Windows operating system, although Microsoft promises to keep these updates coming for the life of the device, which unfortunately we can't say they did for Windows XP users.

So the course of action here is obvious; if you're a Windows user, just make sure you upgrade within the first year, and you won't have to surrender money to Microsoft to get the latest and greatest Windows operating system.

Sources: Microsoft via 9to5Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Microsoft Announces Windows 10 Upgrades Will Be Free, But Only for One Year started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 3 Comments
      PCYoda -
      I wonder, will you be to claim your upgrade but not install it right away? It'd be cool if I could make sure I got my request for my free upgrade in on time but wasn't obligated to actually install it promptly. I don't see myself upgrading from Windows 7 anytime in the near future.
      Raptor2213 -
      Quote Originally Posted by PCYoda View Post
      I wonder, will you be to claim your upgrade but not install it right away? It'd be cool if I could make sure I got my request for my free upgrade in on time but wasn't obligated to actually install it promptly. I don't see myself upgrading from Windows 7 anytime in the near future.
      I don't see why not. You should be given a valid product ID to use.
      SpiderManAPV -
      I, personally, can't wait for Windows 10. Looks like a significant upgrade to 8.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook