• Blackberry CEO Tries to Push for App and Content Neutrality on All Platforms

John Chen, Blackberry CEO, has recently took to the website blog to speak out about ‘application/content’ neutrality. He specifically spoke about Apple’s iMessage and Netflix streaming services as being discrimination examples against Blackberry. In the blog post, he told U.S. government officials that all applications and content should be available to all platforms and smartphones. According to Chen,

Unlike BlackBerry, which allows iPhone users to download and use our BBM service, Apple does not allow BlackBerry or Android users to download Apple’s iMessage messaging service. Netflix, which has forcefully advocated for carrier neutrality, has discriminated against BlackBerry customers by refusing to make its streaming movie service available to them.
    Chen is basically trying to push government officials to neutralize content and applications because he feels Blackberry already does this. And because the company already does this, he feels other companies should be doing the same and providing the same practices. Chen also wrote

Neutrality must be mandated at the application and content layer if we truly want a free, open and non-discriminatory Internet.
    It was reported that developers found what Chen said to be absolutely ridiculous because they don’t feel they should be forced to develop apps for platforms they do not see as a worthwhile investment. What are your thoughts on this matter? Let us know in the comments below.

Source: Blackberry
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Blackberry CEO Tries to Push for App and Content Neutrality on All Platforms started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 16 Comments
      luckyluch -
      [email protected] blackberry!!
      scroogelives -
      Basically he's a cry baby cause no one wants to make apps for his phones and that's the main reason he can't sell them to the masses lol
      tungpr123 -
      Lol
      Nerd -
      Quote Originally Posted by luckyluch View Post
      [email protected] blackberry!!
      Same to you!!
      cpho -
      I was kinda/sorta rooting for blackberry to make a comeback, but these comments are petty
      docmagoo2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cpho View Post
      I was kinda/sorta rooting for blackberry to make a comeback, but these comments are petty
      I totally agree. Not sure of why all the blackberry hate in the forum. If you've nothing that positively contributes to the thread say nothing at all is my opinion. It's tough to see BB down on their luck but surely a competitive market is better overall for the consumer. More innovation rather that if there was one company with a monopoly, however for a long time BB messenger was for BB only. The problem with something like iMessage for BB would be the security on the non apple end and the need for apple to share their closed source programming with competitors which they're not going to do as it's such an integral part of iOS and OS X. iDevice to iDevice is encrypted but who's to say the same would be true on non Apple devices?
      bigboyz -
      One of the most pathetic companies of the last 15 years. Had it all and watched it fall through their fingertips cause they didn't want to evolve. What a joke. I see the tears keep falling from their eyes..passes BB a Puffs Plus (i'm so compassionate) :]
      purpose1814 -
      People still use those things lol.
      SpiderManAPV -
      At what point is a platform big enough to require all services provided by every other company?. Theoretically could I create some crap operating system that only I use then sue BlackBerry for not providing BBM? If I remember right, they're already under 5%, so it doesn't even make financial sense to provide platforms to the BlackBerry platform.
      sheltons.iphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
      I totally agree. Not sure of why all the blackberry hate in the forum. If you've nothing that positively contributes to the thread say nothing at all is my opinion. It's tough to see BB down on their luck but surely a competitive market is better overall for the consumer. More innovation rather that if there was one company with a monopoly, however for a long time BB messenger was for BB only. The problem with something like iMessage for BB would be the security on the non apple end and the need for apple to share their closed source programming with competitors which they're not going to do as it's such an integral part of iOS and OS X. iDevice to iDevice is encrypted but who's to say the same would be true on non Apple devices?
      He was talking about the petty comments from the CEO.
      rud3bwoy -
      So let me get this straight,when everyone was moaning and crying for bbm to branch out when it was so popular back then he didn't care because he was on top of the world and everyone was buying black berries only for bbm,now that apple is spanking bbm they want change?lMAO

how the mighty has fallen.
      twigwonderkid -
      What planet does this numpty live on. It just show how awful Blackberry are and how clueless they are. Their phones were dreadful. My kids laughed at me with their Nokia. Yes I could send emails, but they could play music and video and change the ringtone . I couldn't even change the ringtone and it was ten times the price. They took all our money bought themselves boats planes holidays cars at expense of their customers. Apple came along, not even in the phone market, and made them look amateurish, blew them and their complacency and boated terrible company out of the water. Good bye good riddance
      twigwonderkid -
      What planet does this numpty live on. It just show how awful Blackberry are and how clueless they are. Their phones were dreadful. My kids laughed at me with their Nokia. Yes I could send emails, but they could play music and video and chave the ringtone . I couldn't even chage the ringtone and it was ten times the price. They took all our money bought themselves boats planes holidays cars at expense of their customers. Apple came along, not even in the phone market, and made them look amateurish, blew them and their complacency and boated terrible company out of the water. Good bye good riddance
      jackbauerctu -
      It would be nice if Apple made iMessage available to windows users lol. That's about the only thing I agree with.
      SpiderManAPV -
      I'd like to have FaceTime on Windows too, but understandable why they don't do that.
      rolandgabor -
      Black what?
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook