• Reports Indicate Apple is Also Working on iOS 8.4 Before iOS 9 Drops

When Apple said that iOS 8 was the biggest iOS release ever, they weren't joking. It seems like iOS 8 is going to have the highest number of iteration updates that any iOS firmware release has ever had in the history of Apple's widely-used mobile operating system.

Reports are now indicating that Apple is also working on a version of iOS 8 dubbed iOS 8.4, although it's unknown what Apple would be planning for new features or improvements in the new release, although 9to5Mac has been given word that it could include Apple's new re-branded Beats Music streaming service.

At this point in time, iOS 8.2 is nearing a public release alongside the Apple Watch, and iOS 8.3 was just seeded to developers for testing Monday afternoon.

iOS 8.4 is expected to be the last major iOS release before Apple begins serious work on iOS 9, which was reported today to bring some serious stability and performance improvements to the operating system overall since the introduction of all of these new features and user interfaces that we've received starting with iOS 7. Because the software engineering teams at Apple would be working so hard to fine-tune iOS 9's performance and stability, it's expected that iOS 9 won't bring with it a ton of new features.

As it sits right now, iOS 8.2 should be released within the next month or so, and iOS 8.3 should be released some time in Summer. iOS 8.4 could be released in the Summer as well, or could be postponed until the Fall. This leaves us with the question of when said iOS 9 would be released if not this year (as reports are indicating), then next year is plausible. Apple definitely seems to be de-railing their usual iOS schedule.

Sources: 9to5Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Reports Indicate Apple is Also Working on iOS 8.4 Before iOS 9 Drops started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 12 Comments
      thazsar -
      How about they work on iOS 9 so there aren't so many bugs!!! One in particular, the intermittent asking of our email password that's plaqued us since iOS 7
      vinaygoel2000 -
      I wonder if apple will follow microsoft and skip 9 altogether
      bmwraw8482 -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      I wonder if apple will follow microsoft and skip 9 altogether
      +1
      exNavy -
      Agreed. Who cares about all these b.s. 8.x updates? Work on 9 being rock solid. And think of up some features that people actually want.
      NightKloak -
      Can we just get....you know...contact pics for messaging? Like that's really the only reason why I jailbreak these days lol
      TDH Advocate -
      With 8.3 dropping for devs today I was going to pick it up on my phone. Thank goodness I stopped before I did because I realised that I would lose my iPhone 6 resolution on my 5S and I could not deal with that for a beta release. But I'm excited to see what 8.4 and 9 bring us and if the possible delay of 9 could mean a delay of the next iPhone iteration. Or perhaps 8.4 will drop with the next iPhone iteration instead of 9 and we see 9 as essentially 8.5 in early 2016.
      goodred2 -
      or perhaps quick compose/quick reply...Can't believe they haven't addressed that already. That's my primary reason for jailbreaking, who the heck wants to be surfing in safari, get a text, then have to leave safari for the message app to reply....my candy bar phones and old flip phones from the early 2000s did QC/QR pretty well !

Quote Originally Posted by NightKloak View Post
      Can we just get....you know...contact pics for messaging? Like that's really the only reason why I jailbreak these days lol
      repoman16 -
      Quote Originally Posted by goodred2 View Post
      or perhaps quick compose/quick reply...Can't believe they haven't addressed that already. That's my primary reason for jailbreaking, who the heck wants to be surfing in safari, get a text, then have to leave safari for the message app to reply....my candy bar phones and old flip phones from the early 2000s did QC/QR pretty well !

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure if you are in an app, and receive a txt message you can swipe down from the notifications and do a quick reply there without exiting.
      mazzanic -
      We can all wish iOS 9 will be "bug free..." However, no OS will ever be solid (there will always be problems with technology).. Job security.
      TDH Advocate -
      Quote Originally Posted by goodred2 View Post
      iOS 8 has an alright quick reply feature but we most certainly need a quick compose. I mean quick reply could definitely stand to get some adjustments (like a tweak I have installed that shows the last 5 messages instead of just the latest incoming message).
      quidam_brujah -
      Unless I read this news wrong, I read that Apple is not working on new features but rather trying to make 9 stable...

"Because the software engineering teams at Apple would be working so hard to fine-tune iOS 9's performance and stability, it's expected that iOS 9 won't bring with it a ton of new features."

...nope, I read it correctly. What's all the 9 complaining for, then?
      Jozelito617 -
      Quote Originally Posted by NightKloak View Post
      Bahahahhahahah that stuff is true, and can you agreed with me plz with appcake ( free apps) thats why i JB nowadays
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook