• Activation Lock Reportedly Reduced iPhone Theft By Up to 50% Since Initial Launch

When the iPhone became one of the top targets for theft, Apple's top minds came together to come up with a solution. The answer was Activation Lock, a feature that requires the owner's Apple ID password to activate the iPhone after it is restored in iTunes to factory settings.

Without the original user's password, the iPhone cannot be set up as a new device and sold on the black market as a new iPhone; it also keeps Find My iPhone and iCloud from being disabled on the device without the original user's password. This makes it impossible for a thief to wipe the previous owner from the device so that it can be set up under a new owner without the permission of the original owner.

Statistics are now showing that Activation Lock has had a very positive impact on iPhone theft in three major cities: New York City, London, and San Francisco. Officials from each of the three cities have announced their own statistics; iPhone theft in London is down by around 50%, New York City is down by around 25%, and San Francisco is down by around 40%, all since the adoption of the new feature beginning with iOS 7 over one year ago, as Reuters reports.

The positive impact on iPhone theft indicates that Activation Lock is a step in the right direction in terms of stopping iPhone theft. On the other hand, Activation Lock has caused some headaches too; for example, when a deceased person has their items willed down to a family member, or sold via an Estate Sale, Activation Lock can make it impossible for the device to be made ready to use for the new user and is a commonly-complained about issue.

Sources: Reuters
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Activation Lock Reportedly Reduced iPhone Theft By Up to 50% Since Initial Launch started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 14 Comments
      peacedog -
      A trusted friend or family member should know the Apple ID password then if being able to pass your iPhone on in a will becomes an issue. I would hope this is a low priority issue when dealing with the death of a loved one.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
      A trusted friend or family member should know the Apple ID password then if being able to pass your iPhone on in a will becomes an issue. I would hope this is a low priority issue when dealing with the death of a loved one.
      Typically it affects those of Estate Sales or non-family passing on the most. As you have implied, families are less worried about this scenario than strangers are.
      docmagoo2 -
      My friend bought one on eBay and its iCloud locked, but clean on IMEI insurance / lost checks. The prior owner won't respond so it's causing her a mighty big headache. The perils of buying on eBay
      AlinBoy -
      My mother she forgot her apple id and password and find my iPhone was on, I cannot activate the iphone and she contacted apple support, they tell her they can unlocked the iphone and deleted the icloud if she brings a proof of resist she bought it newer and she is the owner, she sended the resist over fax they investigate the problem after couples days, she received the email from apple the iCloud was deleted from iPhone and is new again. I activate and is working again like before. You have to be the real owner and proof of resist to showing & the iphone too imei all the serial nr.
      docmagoo2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by AlinBoy View Post
      My mother she forgot her apple id and password and find my iPhone was on, I cannot activate the iphone and she contacted apple support, they tell her they can unlocked the iphone and deleted the icloud if she brings a proof of resist she bought it newer and she is the owner, she sended the resist over fax they investigate the problem after couples days, she received the email from apple the iCloud was deleted from iPhone and is new again. I activate and is working again like before. You have to be the real owner and proof of resist to showing & the iphone too imei all the serial nr.
      The receipt you mean?
      fleurya -
      But, I thought there were going to be droves of high-tech theives:
      - stalking me dressed in all black, waiting for an opportunity to pull a good finger print from something I touched
      - run back to their hideout outfitted with high-quality 3D printers to make a copy of my fingerprint
      - then stalk me again waiting for the chance to steal my phone
      - THEN hurry up and unlock it and change my password and info before I can do a remote lock and wipe!

Is that not happening all the time like touch ID detractors were saying??
      [email protected] -
      Costs $99 to remove the icloud!
      AlinBoy -
      Yes the receipt, my english is weak
      Silvio6 -
      it also keeps Find My iPhone and iCloud from being disabled on the device without the original user's password. This makes it impossible for a thief to wipe the previous owner from the device so that it can be set up under a new owner without the permission of the original owner.

Not completely accurate. The thief can delete the content of the phone by restoring it, this will disable find my iphone. But they will not be able to activate it, they could only use it as an ipod.
      Same if you do a remote wipe of a phone. That would disable findmyiphone, but it won't be possible to activate it.
      [email protected] -
      Quote Originally Posted by Silvio6 View Post
      it also keeps Find My iPhone and iCloud from being disabled on the device without the original user's password. This makes it impossible for a thief to wipe the previous owner from the device so that it can be set up under a new owner without the permission of the original owner.

Not completely accurate. The thief can delete the content of the phone by restoring it, this will disable find my iphone. But they will not be able to activate it, they could only use it as an ipod.
      Same if you do a remote wipe of a phone. That would disable findmyiphone, but it won't be possible to activate it.
      Not true, I paid and got icloud totally removed then restored it in iTunes and not have a new iPhone
      zeroskater61 -
      Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
      But, I thought there were going to be droves of high-tech theives:
      - stalking me dressed in all black, waiting for an opportunity to pull a good finger print from something I touched
      - run back to their hideout outfitted with high-quality 3D printers to make a copy of my fingerprint
      - then stalk me again waiting for the chance to steal my phone
      - THEN hurry up and unlock it and change my password and info before I can do a remote lock and wipe!

Is that not happening all the time like touch ID detractors were saying??
      You cannot change the password on an Apple ID with just the finger print nor can you delete it. You still need to re type the password in order to change/delete it. And if the person clicks forgot password they must go through the whole apple procedure to change a pass word and even after the original owner still receives a confirmation email which is linked to there Apple ID and that person can confirm if they did in fact change there password or not.
      [email protected] -
      Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
      You cannot change the password on an Apple ID with just the finger print nor can you delete it. You still need to re type the password in order to change/delete it. And if the person clicks forgot password they must go through the whole apple procedure to change a pass word and even after the original owner still receives a confirmation email which is linked to there Apple ID and that person can confirm if they did in fact change there password or not.
      If just have the iCloud account removed making it a new iPhone that can be activated.
      Lots of ppl do removals now and in the near future the tool will be released letting anyone remove icloud lock from any Idevice.
      I already did it once on an iphone
      zeroskater61 -
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      If just have the iCloud account removed making it a new iPhone that can be activated.
      Lots of ppl do removals now and in the near future the tool will be released letting anyone remove icloud lock from any Idevice.
      I already did it once on an iphone
      Yeah I understand if you have the iCloud account removed by paying for it but the person I replied to. Stated that you can remove the iCloud password with the finger print. And you cannot remove a password with just the person finger print. I can go into my iPhone right now and try to delete my account with only my finger print. I cannot do so. I need to enter my iCloud password first in order to be given the ability to fully delete it.
      studderman -
      Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
      My friend bought one on eBay and its iCloud locked, but clean on IMEI insurance / lost checks. The prior owner won't respond so it's causing her a mighty big headache. The perils of buying on eBay
      Tell your friend to report any fraudulent purchase to the ebay customer service an as long the ad did not say "Locked Device" Ebay will refund your friend the funds an deduct the said refund from the sellers account. Happen to a buddy of mine and the ad did NOT say locked device. Good lock though :-)
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook