• YouTube Snubs Apple with New Kid-Centered App for Android Only

Parents everywhere will have a new app to download for their kids on Monday -- but only if they have an Android device.

That's right, YouTube is shutting out Apple's iOS as the new app in question is an Android exclusive.

Google's hugely popular video publishing and streaming platform will offer kid-safe content including original episodes of children-focused TV shows for preschoolers. Everything from “Thomas the Tank Engine” to “Sesame Street” will be there, the WSJ confirms.

An array of other parent-approved and kid-friendly content and channels will also be accessible to users. YouTube Kids will even let parents determine how long the app can run each day, effectively ensuring time controls on the app's usage.

Although YouTube hasn't ruled out the possibility of YouTube Kids coming to iOS eventually, there is no timeline or even talks of an iOS version at this time. On Monday, the Android version will drop and families with iOS devices will have to take the wait-and-see approach.

Source: WSJ
    This article was originally published in forum thread: YouTube Snubs Apple with New Kid-Centered App for Android Only started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 11 Comments
      sladyrko -
      Ain't cool...
      thazsar -
      I guess I'll have to switch to Android since there's nothing else my kids can play on our iPads.... Darn the luck!
      scroogelives -
      Some how I don't see this making kids want an android phone!
      luvmytj -
      Ohhh Nooooooos! LOL! So I guess those 42 people will get a cool YT app for kids.
      docmagoo2 -
      Why shouldn't Google snub apple? I mean apple snubbed Google with the maps fiasco a few iterations of iOS back. And this app is unlikely to have much of an impact for getting people to buy android. Apart from that it's just an "up yours" to the AppStore.
      psxcancer -
      I like the idea of a kid safe site (right now it's Android and that's okay..... I wonder if they are thinking more kids use Android than adults s).

I wish Facebook would follow in these steps and make a kid safe Facebook. Kids really shouldn't be sharing the unfiltered Facebook the adults use.
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by psxcancer View Post
      I like the idea of a kid safe site (right now it's Android and that's okay..... I wonder if they are thinking more kids use Android than adults s).

I wish Facebook would follow in these steps and make a kid safe Facebook. Kids really shouldn't be sharing the unfiltered Facebook the adults use.
      Why would a kid have a FB acct?
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
      Why shouldn't Google snub apple? I mean apple snubbed Google with the maps fiasco a few iterations of iOS back. And this app is unlikely to have much of an impact for getting people to buy android. Apart from that it's just an "up yours" to the AppStore.
      Actually Google snubbed apple with maps. They were going to either require royalties or were going to start displaying ads in the app of I remember right.
      luvmytj -
      Quote Originally Posted by psxcancer View Post

You are correct, they shouldn't be using FB unless they meet the TOS of FB that says...
      Facebook requires everyone to be at least 13 years old before they can create an account (in some jurisdictions, this age limit may be higher). Creating an account with false info is a violation of our terms. This includes accounts registered on the behalf of someone under 13.
      se23 -
      At last! My 5 year old watches YouTube on her tab but despite my best efforts I still come across suspect vids when I go through her history.
      peacedog -
      Well that was shortlived. They just released the iOS version of Youtube Kids.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook