• Apple's New 12 Inch MacBook Garners Attention from Competing PC Manufacturers

Although many consumers seem to be fond of Apple’s latest MacBook offering, competing PC makers haven’t been feeling the same way. Many competitors took to Twitter to ridicule Apple’s MacBook offering for not being the slimmest, cheapest or highest resolution on the market. Here are some of the angles that competitors posted up:

Asus ended up comparing the new MacBook to its ZenBook UX305 stating that the UX305 “is even slimmer than the new MacBook[sic]” adding that “it’s also about half the price.” Asus’ offering does beat Apple’s thinness by just under 1 millimeter but what the company failed to mention that it weighs over half a pound more. Thinner but not exactly lighter is the way to classify this one.

Dell on the other hand mocked the 12-inch Retina display that is found on the new 12-inch MacBook by comparing it to the company’s XPS 13. The company stated the following regarding the matter:

Our #DellXPS 13's virtually borderless infinity display has 5.7M pixels - that's 2M more than a 12" retina display.
    What the company failed to point out is that the XPS 13 is 2 millimeters thicker and weighs in at 2.8 pounds compared to the MacBook’s 2.03 pounds.

Out of the many large competitors, Lenovo seemed to be the most boastful by stating that Apple’s 12-inch MacBook was “#SoLastYear.” The company wrote the following regarding the matter:

WE SEE YOUR [sic] thin laptop (#SoLastYear) & raise you 3 modes, 2 USB ports & a higher-resolution touch display.
    The Yoga 3 Pro is a convertible laptop/tablet which runs Windows 8.1 and starts at $1,499 with offerings that provide “instant savings” and a coupon that brings the price down to $1,199 when purchased through the Lenovo website. Much like the other competitor offerings, the device is noticeably heavier than the MacBook as well.

For those of you who don’t know or didn’t remember, these responses seem to largely mirror the reactions that PC manufacturers shared back in 2008 when Apple announced and released the original MacBook Air. At the time, nobody knew how Apple’s offering would be changing the industry over time. We’ll have to see if the new 12-inch MacBook does the same thing this time around.

Source: Twitter (Asus) (Dell) (Lenovo) via AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple's New 12 Inch MacBook Garners Attention from Competing PC Manufacturers started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 4 Comments
      suchef44 -
      I don't particularly care how many mm thinner one laptop is over another.
      Do you guys?
      I would hope that Apple creates all of this specific space saving innovation; which in turn create space to make a better laptop.
      Overall.
      Not just a smaller / thinner thing.
      Ultrathin with very little connectivity seems to be a step in the wrong direction.
      Maybe I'm just a disgruntled designer who remembers when a Macbook was a cutting edge tool for professionals.
      At best a MacBook would be considered a prosumer device currently.
      Personally.
      I would love to see the return of the 17 inch MacBook Pro.
      Or even larger.
      But it seems like Apple's probably going in the direction of making them in different colors rather than more powerful.
      That said, none of these other devices are running OS X.
      So it hardly matters what they look like.
      Kotin6006 -
      Quote Originally Posted by suchef44 View Post
      I don't particularly care how many mm thinner one laptop is over another.
      Do you guys?
      I would hope that Apple creates all of this specific space saving innovation; which in turn create space to make a better laptop.
      Overall.
      Not just a smaller / thinner thing.
      Ultrathin with very little connectivity seems to be a step in the wrong direction.
      Maybe I'm just a disgruntled designer who remembers when a Macbook was a cutting edge tool for professionals.
      At best a MacBook would be considered a prosumer device currently.
      Personally.
      I would love to see the return of the 17 inch MacBook Pro.
      Or even larger.
      But it seems like Apple's probably going in the direction of making them in different colors rather than more powerful.
      That said, none of these other devices are running OS X.
      So it hardly matters what they look like.
      This is the return of the MacBook which has always been a consumer laptop. The MacBook Pro is not going anywhere. Over time I am sure it will adopt features of it.
      holyshnikes -
      Apple is always pushing the industry, and yet the rest of the industry copies and then mocks Apple. This newest addition, in my opinion, it's amazing. To see all of the design work and details they put into creating this is more than any of the competitors could do. I mean, the butterfly keyboard and stacking batteries is something that only Apple could do because it's all in house. Anyone who has ever owned a Mac will tell you that they are built to last. This one is no exception.

Not to mention USB-C is awesome.
      PCYoda -
      You can definitely notice a half a pound or a pound of weight difference as you're carrying a notebook around... on the other hand, you'll likely never notice the difference of less than a full millimeter of thickness of a notebook.

On the flip size, even if Dell's offering has more pixels, who cares? At a certain point, on a screen this small, increased number of pixels has diminishing returns, the difference becomes transparent to the human eye. That's the whole point of the retina display - Apple has done research to determine resolutions that are optimal for the human eye. Going much further beyond would be technology simply for technology's sake - unless you're going to be looking at your screen through a magnifying glass, it really doesn't matter.

I do wish Apple would consider making a full fledged Mac tablet, though, something akin to the Microsoft Surface Pro 3. The new Macbook would've been more impressive if it was tablet convertible.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook