• Touch ID Reportedly Failing Widespread for App Store Downloads Post iOS 8.3 Update

A large number of users are reporting issues with attempting to use Touch ID to authenticate application downloads, both paid and free, from the iOS App Store on Thursday after updating to iOS 8.3, which Apple released yesterday to fix a large variety of bugs in the iOS operating system.

The users note that Touch ID seems to be working just fine for unlocking the device from the Lock Screen, but that a Touch ID prompt doesn't even show up, as it is expected to, while attempting to download an application from the iOS App Store even though the option to use Touch ID for authentication is enabled from the device's App Store settings.

Meanwhile, instead of being prompted to use Touch ID, users are forwarded to entering their passwords instead, which for users with longer passwords, takes much longer than simply scanning a fingerprint and being able to start downloading the application in question. For this reason, an understandable amount of frustration among users is present.

Because this is a big flaw with Apple's Touch ID authentication system, we'll likely see an iOS 8.3.1 update this week, or very soon to resolve the issue.

Update: The issue very likely stemmed from Apple's new feature in iOS 8.3 for the App Store to remember your password for free downloads, only requiring it for paid downloads. The fix appears to be to disable the Touch ID function for the App Store under Settings > Touch ID & Passcode > iTunes & App Store, then to close the Settings application, reboot the device, and then re-visit this preferences pane and re-enable the setting.

Are you having issues using Touch ID after updating to iOS 8.3?

Sources: Apple via MacRumors
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Touch ID Reportedly Failing Widespread for App Store Downloads Post iOS 8.3 Update started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 11 Comments
      Carvensno -
      Sounds like a good excuse for another update just in case JB team happens to release a JB for iOS 8.3. LOL
      scroogelives -
      Not had the issue my self and I've downloaded a few apps since updating
      Bo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
      Sounds like a good excuse for another update just in case JB team happens to release a JB for iOS 8.3. LOL
      Certainly the jailbreak teams are aware of this now and that another update should follow. Just hoping there will be another jailbreak. No matter what Apple has done, it seems our devs always seem to find a way.
      Carvensno -
      Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
      Certainly the jailbreak teams are aware of this now and that another update should follow. Just hoping there will be another jailbreak. No matter what Apple has done, it seems our devs always seem to find a way.
      I'll say CHEERS to that girl lol
      bigboyz -
      The Dev Teams have not disappointed yet. Not sure why they would start. I am sure we will have a JB soon enough. I know i'll be waiting patiently.
      StaceyMJ86 -
      I hope we have a jailbreak soon. I want 8.3, but not at the expense of losing my 8.2 beta 2 jailbreak. I'll just wait patiently like everyone else.
      TDH Advocate -
      I lost my jailbreak a long time back because my phone needed restored. Been on 8.3 since the first beta and can't wait for it to get a jailbreak. Hopefully they will wait for the 8.3.1/8.3.2 updates to launch anything.
      ChicagoV -
      Fix appears to be to turn off TouchID for iTunes and App Store, then a reboot, followed by re-enabling TouchID for iTunes and App Store. Worked for me. (from iMore)
      sclambe -
      It works again! Thank you for the fix
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Update: The issue very likely stemmed from Apple's new feature in iOS 8.3 for the App Store to remember your password for free downloads, only requiring it for paid downloads. The fix appears to be to disable the Touch ID function for the App Store under Settings > Touch ID & Passcode > iTunes & App Store, then to close the Settings application, reboot the device, and then re-visit this preferences pane and re-enable the setting.
      bbrks -
      It looks like, that issue with TouchID has been fixed by Apple. It wasn't a problem with IOS 8.3, but with Apple servers.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook