• Google is Reportedly Almost Done With its Android Wear App for iOS Compatibility

In the beginning of the month, it was reported that Google was supposedly in the works of an application for the iOS platform that would allow for pairing of the Android Wear smart watch accessory with the iPhone and other iOS devices. A new report as of Thursday reveals that Google is close to finishing said application.

The Verge reports that this companion application is almost buttoned up and would be necessary to use the Android Wear smart watch with any iOS device. The application would push all notifications to the watch, as well as anything else that the user would need to configure for the two devices to work together:

In its current state of development, Android Wear works along with a companion app on the iPhone and supports basic functions like notifications as you can see in the photo below. As it does on Android, on the iPhone Android Wear also supports Google Now's ambient information cards, voice search, and other voice actions. It should also support some more advanced features with Google's own iOS apps, like replying to Gmail messages.
    Notably, Apple's own watch is about to go on pre-order and would be in direct competition with Google's Android Wear if the company were to accept Google's new application and allow iOS users to pair their devices with the Android Wear competitor. We think it may not be so likely that Apple would allow such a thing to happen.

But there is a slight catch to the way things will happen here the Apple Watch is built by Apple and includes a variety of sensors that Apple's iOS operating system is designed to take full advantage of for health tracking and more. Google's Android Wear application for iOS would seem to primarily only allow for notifications, responding to said notifications, and voice search features among a few others. This would give the Apple Watch an advantage for iPhone users.

It's also worth reminding everyone that Android Wear has already been hacked by a lone hacker to work with a stock, non-jailbroken iPhone out of the box with no application from Google needed. The hacker has gotten a lot of functions to work, including phone calls, notifications, and even music controls.

Sources: The Verge
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Google is Reportedly Almost Done With its Android Wear App for iOS Compatibility started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 5 Comments
      rickuk -
      If I was to buy a smartwatch, it would be great to have a choice of Android Wear rather than be stuck with the one and only design from Apple, and could save myself some money in the process
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
      If I was to buy a smartwatch, it would be great to have a choice of Android Wear rather than be stuck with the one and only design from Apple, and could save myself some money in the process
      You do still have the option of other brands such as Garmin, Pebble, and the likes.
      psxcancer -
      For me the choice would be simple, why would I introduce a Android watch to my Apple mobile device..... Not like you could use Apple Pay with the Android watch (no matter what Google works on).
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by psxcancer View Post
      For me the choice would be simple, why would I introduce a Android watch to my Apple mobile device..... Not like you could use Apple Pay with the Android watch (no matter what Google works on).
      Yes, and this is one of the major things Google has to deal with if Apple were to allow this kind of competition. As I tried to make clear in paragraph four, there are features of the Apple Watch that Apple will keep closed specifically to the Apple Watch, no matter what kind of application Google tries to make in order for the Android Wear to be compatible.

This is where Apple will have the upper hand, just like how Apple's stock applications are all more capable than most third-party applications in the App Store due to Apple's "walled garden" approach.
      se23 -
      Yes! I've seen so many android wear watches I like and most are cheaper than apples. The good thing is I'll be able to use it on both os[emoji106]🏾. I think apple pay is ok for you guys in America but in the UK we tap to pay with our cards anyway.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook