• Functional Apple I Computer Up for Auction on eBay with 10% Going to Charity

A functional Apple I computer built in 1976 with add-ons including the original Apple I cassette interface board is currently being auctioned off on eBay with a portion of the final sale price being earmarked for charity. The unit has been given the name “Copson Apple I,” named after the original owner and former Apple employee, Joe Copson. The machine was previously up for sale at Christie’s in 2012 but the machine never sold as bids failed to meet reserve.

Although no exact dates can be confirmed, the Copson Apple I is reportedly older than a previous Apple I computer which sold for a record $905,000 at auction last October. The record-breaking sale was made by the Henry Ford organization for display at the company’s museum in Dearborn, Michigan.

The Copson Apple I is reportedly largely unchanged from the day it left the computer store, Byte Shop, although the original owner seems to have added an Apple I cassette interface to the board. It’s now listed as being in working condition meaning that the repairs were performed after the Christie’s sale. The board comes mounted in a clamshell case with Datanetics keyboard and includes a period correct Sony TV and replica Apple I instruction manual signed by the Apple cofounder, Steve Wozniak.

With Apple becoming one of the most valuable corporations in the world, collectors appear to be scrambling to get their hands on the company’s first product. The most recent auction failed to meet expectations but still ended up selling for $365,000 in December. The Copson Apple I auction has a bid far less than that as of right now but still has roughly a week to go so we’ll have to see what it ends up selling for.

Source: eBay (Copson Apple I)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Functional Apple I Computer Up for Auction on eBay with 10% Going to Charity started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 2 Comments
      Bo Troxell -
      Love that the TV/monitor still has the rabbit ear type antennae.
      Any bets on what this baby will go for?
      vXBaKeRXv -
      -😂-
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook