• The Stainless Steel Apple Watch is Very Prone to Scratches, But You Can Fix it Yourself

With another new Apple Product released into the hands of the public, users have quickly found another problem to gouge at and exploit. The latest phenomenon is being called "Scratchgate."

The stainless steel Apple Watch model is showing to be very prone to scuffing and scratching through minimal or normal use. The image above, which was posted by Apple Watch user Michael Kukielka (@DetroitBorg) on Twitter, shows the micro-scratches that occurred to his Apple Watch enclosure just after a single day with the device. And he's not alone many people are experiencing these same micro scratches.

As you can probably expect, users who shelled out the extra $200 for the upgraded stainless steel Apple Watch aren't taking very lightly to the situation.

So what causes this to happen? As it turns out, stainless steel is actually a very soft metal and is very prone to scratches over time. But interestingly, Apple claims their version of stainless steel is 80% stronger and more durable than any basic stainless steel alloy:

We started with an alloy known for its durability and corrosion resistance. Then we made it even stronger. Through a specialized cold-forging process, it becomes up to 80 percent harder.
    Nonetheless, stainless steel is still just stainless steel; it's going to scratch, so be ready for it. Fortunately, the scratching is not that bad and it can be fixed on your own very easily for just a few bucks. YouTube video maker Dom Esposito shares that with some cheap metal polish and a good micro-fiber cloth, you can wipe those scratches away and make your stainless steel Apple Watch look as good as new.

You can watch the video below:

Although polishing is a great way to restore the sleek shine to your Apple Watch enclosure, the polish does very lightly wear down the metal every time you use it, so this isn't something you're going to want to do every 10 seconds when you get a light scuff. Instead, this is simply something you can do to maintain your shine and restore your device to a good beautiful condition every few weeks, months, or right before you want to sell it off to someone else.

Notably, the aluminum Apple Watch Sport is much more durable against scratches into the enclosure than the stainless steel Apple Watch is, but it doesn't have the super-strong sapphire crystal display to compliment it; instead, it has an Ion-X glass display, which is similar to what is used in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus displays. Scratch tests have shown that the sapphire glass display, which is made from the second-hardest material known to man right behind diamond, is incredibly scratch-resistant, unlike the Ion-X display, that is. In short, both models have their compromises and you simply have to pick the lesser of two evils.

Are you experiencing scratching on your new Apple Watch?

Sources: Twitter & YouTube via 9to5Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: The Stainless Steel Apple Watch is Very Prone to Scratches, But You Can Fix it Yourself started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 32 Comments
      SpiderManAPV -
      Sapphire in the aluminum would've been perfect to me.
      docmagoo2 -
      I'd be so annoyed if I shelled out this and it scratched on the first day! It's like the back on the first iPods
      Oddlane -
      Sounds like they should have switched metal and display combinations
      Sniper488 -
      Wonder how mad the people who bought the black stainless steel watches for $1100 will be..
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
      Wonder how mad the people who bought the black stainless steel watches for $1100 will be..
      I'm not sure that they would be as mad. I think the black is a coating that would in turn, protect the metal more? I could be wrong.
      Sniper488 -
      Just thinking of past experience with iPhone 5 black when scratched turned silver...
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
      Just thinking of past experience with iPhone 5 black when scratched turned silver...
      Yeah. No hands on experience with the black stainless steel model yet, but the coating process is likely different than aluminum anodizing.
      fleurya -
      Ok, I can understand the watch acquiring some scratches over time, but how are people getting it that scratched up in a day?? If that's how the watch looks, the area around their wrist must be bloodied!

I can already see it, right now tons of attention-hungry YouTube prima donnas taking pocket knives and keys to the watches then making videos of how it got scratched up after 10 minutes of use. Then the haters will jump in claiming factory defects and demanding full recalls and class action lawsuits.

It'll be a fun week.

Meanwhile, nobody is talking about samsung's new flagship phone bending easier than the iPhone 6S.
      stulaw11 -
      Any stainless watch will scratch, whether it costs $500 like an Apple watch or $10,000 like a Breitling or Rolex. Just be gentle with it and polish when necessary.

That watch looks like someone beat it up if that's only 1 day; just Youtube hype.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
      That watch looks like someone beat it up if that's only 1 day; just Youtube hype.
      Nah, DetroitBorg isn't the type to do that.
      ggab -
      And that's why I bought the Space Black Apple Watch
      stulaw11 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      Nah, DetroitBorg isn't the type to do that.
      I'm sure, besides his monetized Youtube page and links to other pages with ads paid by clicks. No one is "honest" these days with no personal agenda.

Many of us have worn many watched and none look like this after 1 day of ownership. And stainless is stainless this isn't some special super soft alloy here.
      bmwraw8482 -
      Has anyone complained about the watch edition scratching? Or do the people who can afford that actually realize they should care for their investment... Or did anyone actually buy the edition?
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
      Many of us have worn many watched and none look like this after 1 day of ownership. And stainless is stainless this isn't some special super soft alloy here.
      Stainless steel is soft. I'm not sure what you're trying to say except for attempting to accuse dishonesty without any kind of evidence to suggest that Michael isn't an honest person.

I'm surprised you use "ads" as a form of evidence for dishonesty. Michael does what he does as his... well... job. It would seem you are insinuating he should not have any ads on his channel or be compensated for his excellent-quality workmanship of videos without being tagged as a dishonest person for making a living doing what he does.

In my opinion, that is the equivalent of saying that a fast food restaurant worker that accepts a tip has a "hidden agenda" and can't be trusted. I find that very fallacious.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
      Has anyone complained about the watch edition scratching? Or do the people who can afford that actually realize they should care for their investment... Or did anyone actually buy the edition?
      In all honesty, I don't know one single person that has bought the Edition model.
      Silverado1987 -

In all honesty, I don't know one single person that has bought the Edition model.
      Except Pharrel, Katy Perry and Drake
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
      Except Pharrel, Katy Perry and Drake
      I think they were given those by Apple as a marketing ploy. Not purchased.

I don't know anyone personally.
      ggab -
      Stainless steel is soft.
      No, it's not. Cotton is soft, stainless steel is not.
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by ggab View Post
      I don't think you understand the chemical definition of hardness.
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Question: What is more elastic - Rubber band or Steel?
      rolandgabor -
      Different type of softness. Don't be ignorant. The Apple Watch is made from 316L stainless steel which is not exactly known for being scratch proof. It's rust and corrosion proof. Same "soft steel" is used in kitchen appliances which are know to scratch very easily.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook