• Apple Watch Users Reporting Charging Issues & Poor iPhone Battery Life After Pairing

While it's typical of devices to consume more power when heavier loads are put on them, users are reporting that the Apple Watch is significantly reducing the battery life of their iPhones to the point where they hardly last a single day.

As first noted by 9to5Mac Monday morning, Apple is stepping in by suggesting that users restore their iPhones either via the Settings application (Settings > General > Reset) or by restoring in iTunes and then hard-restarting the Apple Watch by holding the digital crown button and side button simultaneously until the Apple Watch reboots. Then, upon re-pairing the devices, the issue should be fixed.

If that wasn't enough of a problem for users, a wide variety of Apple Watch users are also reporting having issues trying to charge their Apple Watch right out of the box. Hard-restarting the Apple Watch seems to fix this problem for many users.

It's unknown what's going on that is using so much battery life and causing issues charging the Apple Watch, but Apple will likely have fixes for these problems in a future software update to improve the devices' stability in working together to deliver the user a seamless user experience.

Are you having any battery problems with your iPhone or charging problems with your Apple Watch out of the box?

Sources: Apple via 9to5Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Watch Users Reporting Charging Issues & Poor iPhone Battery Life After Pairing started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 26 Comments
      bigboyz -
      Looks like we are going to see a quick OTA for this one. Can't have the masses moaning about poor quality battery performance from a new Apple gadget.
      peacedog -
      New gadgets typically get heavy use. Whenever I get a new iPhone, I see the battery down to 50% within the first 3 hours. It's because I played with it for a solid 3 hours. Once the novelty wears off, I think the battery life will appear to be better.
      MoonFighter -
      Yeah I know I would probably have mine dead in an hour just for the novelty of being able to look at the weather and such lol
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
      New gadgets typically get heavy use. Whenever I get a new iPhone, I see the battery down to 50% within the first 3 hours. It's because I played with it for a solid 3 hours. Once the novelty wears off, I think the battery life will appear to be better.
      Exactly. No update needed
      jw154j -
      I have noticed a significant decrease in the battery life on my iPhone 6. Yesterday I began at 10 AM with my iPhone 6 and Apple Watch fully charged. I then went about my day not using the phone at all but rather utilizing the Apple Watch for all my interactions. I managed to make it until 11 PM when the iPhone 6 then shut off. The Apple Watch was still at 20%. The battery usage page on the iPhone 6 showed 30% was used by the Health App Background Tasks.
      Come to find out the Apple Watch was sending step counts every minute, and heart rate reads every 10 minutes. I don't see why they must update step counts every minute! It should update whenever you access either the phone or the watch.
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by jw154j View Post
      I have noticed a significant decrease in the battery life on my iPhone 6. Yesterday I began at 10 AM with my iPhone 6 and Apple Watch fully charged. I then went about my day not using the phone at all but rather utilizing the Apple Watch for all my interactions. I managed to make it until 11 PM when the iPhone 6 then shut off. The Apple Watch was still at 20%. The battery usage page on the iPhone 6 showed 30% was used by the Health App Background Tasks.
      Come to find out the Apple Watch was sending step counts every minute, and heart rate reads every 10 minutes. I don't see why they must update step counts every minute! It should update whenever you access either the phone or the watch.
      There should be an option for that similar to mail fetch. Every minute, five minutes, ten minutes, thirty minutes, hour, or manual.
      jwil736 -
      You're holding it wrong. Haha this is why I never buy 1st Gen. People will learn.
      aceestes -
      Quote Originally Posted by jwil736 View Post
      You're holding it wrong. Haha this is why I never buy 1st Gen. People will learn.
      Well someone has to buy Gen 1 devices or there won't be a gen 2.
      charliebordelon84 -
      My 1st gen watch has no problems. I love it! You can wait a year to get one if you want but not me.
      qumahlin -
      Quote Originally Posted by jw154j View Post
      I don't see why they must update step counts every minute! It should update whenever you access either the phone or the watch.
      I'm curious as to if Apple is doing any sort of syncing between the motion chip in the phone and the watch or if they are truly wasting energy not only updating steps every minute, but also updating those steps through the phones M chip as well. The phone currently updates steps in near real time.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      So far I'm noticing the opposite.

My watch dies quickly, my iPhone keeps a charge okay.
      TDH Advocate -
      Just want to say any watch connecting to a device like an iPhone via Bluetooth that receives a lot of notifications is going to significantly drain the phones battery. That's how it works. It doesn't matter if it's from Apple or samsuck or pebble. It's going to happen.
      alfred131 -
      I'm going post this one more time.
      when you buy an new iPhone or idevice : here's what they don't tell you , When you over charge you're idevice the battery can not handle over loaded electricity it kills the battery In a day or over a night left plugged in the wall
      I had a iPhone 4 from 2 years ago
      Battery still works the same as I bought it.
      aceestes -
      Quote Originally Posted by alfred131 View Post
      I'm going post this one more time.
      when you buy an new iPhone or idevice : here's what they don't tell you , When you over charge you're idevice the battery can not handle over loaded electricity it kills the battery In a day or over a night left plugged in the wall
      I had a iPhone 4 from 2 years ago
      Battery still works the same as I bought it.
      Well that's just not true at all. You can't overcharge modern batteries. If you could there would be exploding batteries all over the place. Leaving it plugged in doesnt overcharge. The phone knows when to stop charging. Also what kills the battery are factors like how many charging cycles you've been through, how hard you run your battery, and if you do actually battery maintenance like fully cycling your battery every so often.

And the battery on you're 2 year old phone is probably hovering around 60%-70% capacity. But you're less likely to notice since you've had it the entire time.
      javiert30 -
      I have no battery problems with none of them, my Apple Watch gives from 12 to 14 hours of charge and my iPhone still draining the battery like it was before... And I have a lot of email notifications, news and some apps with no problems.
      BUcLAo69 -
      I agree TDH Advocate hahaha... That's exactly the same thing I call Samsuck lols.....
      alfred131 -
      Well it is "true" sorry, if you believe that thier isn't then you must work for apple
      If it wasnt true ?
      Then? Nobody would have battery problems.
      You can't be right on this one.
      The truth speaks for itself

Idevices have battery's problems
      Do you work for apple ?
      You should be on the peoples side here, not trying to make look like your "right"
      But it sounds like you are backing up apples side of things
      aceestes -
      Ummm so you believe the single reason for a battery problem is overcharging? Your technical knowledge must not extend passed the articles you read here. A far more likely culprit is a software issue. I don't doubt at all that people are having battery issues. I'm simply saying that the reason for the issue is most likely (actually quite clearly) in the software and most definitely not a fault of "overcharging".

And no I don't work for Apple. In fact I feel they really dropped the ball on this launch. But I just want to give clarity that overcharging hasn't been an issue for many years.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Lithium ion batteries don't suffer from charging issues like nickel cadmium batteries did with something called "battery memory" that led to battery life problems from over charging. This is why lithium ion was made the standard.

Recent issues with the Apple Watch are most likely because of the skimpy mAh rating. The iFixit teardown provides more insight on this. Don't need to work for Apple to figure that one out, just need knowledge of battery history and tech.
      alfred131 -
      Many years? When and how long do you think idevices were invented

15 years ago?

Plain and simple .
      It's the truth what I said..
      They wouldn't be no battery life problems. If people didn't keep they're idevices plugged in the wall over night at all times

You know why they don't tell you that ? at the store
      So you will keep buying idevices
      Every year .

You can say whatever you want

"That's the truth"

Hurts don't it? When you're wrong
      And you can't be right
      lol
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook