• Samsung Reclaims Top Smartphone Vendor Crown from Apple

Samsung has scored an important victory over Apple, at least with regard to the first quarter of 2015.

On Wednesday, the venerable research team at Strategy Analytics put out a new report indicating that Samsung has reclaimed the crown of top global smartphone vendor -- a crown donned by Apple in the previous quarterly report.

Global smartphone shipments reached 345 million units in the first quarter of 2015. During that time, Samsung bested Apple to once again become the world's largest smartphone vendor by volume. Here's how the numbers shake out.

"Samsung shipped 83.2 million smartphones worldwide and captured 24 percent marketshare in Q1 2015, dipping from 31 percent a year earlier,' says Neil Mawston, Executive Director at Strategy Analytics.

Apple, as we know from Monday's earnings report, shipped 61.2 million smartphones globally and captured 18 percent marketshare in the first three months of 2015.

Whether or not Samsung's lead remains for the next three quarters remains to be seen, as many analysts believe Apple should re-take the crown during the pivotal holiday shopping quarter when Apple will all but certainly have a new iPhone to sell.

Source: Strategy Analytics
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Samsung Reclaims Top Smartphone Vendor Crown from Apple started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 14 Comments
      the_chosen_one -
      Who honestly cares #samsung who
      Detroitking02 -
      Quote Originally Posted by the_chosen_one View Post
      Who honestly cares #samsung who
      iSheep alert
      scroogelives -
      And it'll swing back when Apple launch the next iPhone! And then back to Samsung when they do the same! Only way to truly find out who's moving the most is if they both launch at the same time!
      Carvensno -
      Shipping isn't selling. What are the number of units sold? That's need to be the number analyzed, not shipping. Samsung or Apple can ship as many units as they want, doesn't mean they are going to sell.
      PCYoda -
      The problem is that Samsung typically releases new phone models at a faster cadence than Apple does. With carriers offering trade ins in as few as 6 months with their current upgrade programs, this benefits Samsung in making it look like they're capturing more share.

Also, Apple phones tend to retain their value longer. I still have an iPhone 5S and haven't felt the need to upgrade it. Yes, Apple Pay and a larger screen might be nice, but they're not must have features, and I'd rather wait until my payment plan is done to own the phone and sell it on eBay than I would lose the equity I have in it by trading it in for an iPhone 6, particularly when Apple will probably launch a new phone in a few months anyway.

By contrast, if I buy a Samsung (or any Android) phone today, there's no guarantee it'll be compatible with the next Android software release, plus they have significantly less resale value. So of course people turn them over more often.

I think the better bellwether is internet usage and app usage statistics, where Apple typically dominates consistently.
      sheltons.iphone -
      It doesn't hurt that they made the S6 look like the iPhone 6...
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Detroitking02 View Post
      iSheep alert
      You know I never understood why Apple fans are called iSheep. Are Samsung fans called S-Sheep?

I genuinely want to know the answer.
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      You know I never understood why Apple fans are called iSheep. Are Samsung fans called S-Sheep?

I genuinely want to know the answer.
      Usually they’re fandroids or something similar.
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiderManAPV View Post
      Usually they’re fandroids or something similar.
      But what's with the "sheep"? Apple's not in the wool business!!

I understand the "I" part.
      hogcia -
      Quote Originally Posted by sheltons.iphone View Post
      It doesn't hurt that they made the S6 look like the iPhone 6...
      True. And remember Apple is selling 3 Phone models right now, Samsung has hundreds.
      SpiderManAPV -
      But what's with the "sheep"? Apple's not in the wool business!!

I understand the "I" part.
      Sheep usually refers to someone who follows blindly, like sheep with a shepherd. They see no wrong in their company, just gets excited over anything they do.
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiderManAPV View Post
      Sheep usually refers to someone who follows blindly, like sheep with a shepherd. They see no wrong in their company, just gets excited over anything they do.
      So Samsung fans, or Fandroids as you call them, get excited because they see something exciting in the product or nothing wrong in the company? I'm still confused as to why Fandroids are not called Sheeps?
      SpiderManAPV -
      So Samsung fans, or Fandroids as you call them, get excited because they see something exciting in the product or nothing wrong in the company? I'm still confused as to why Fandroids are not called Sheeps?
      When it comes down to it, it doesn’t roll off the tongue as well. People who find the need to insult others for personal preference don’t care about being accurate, just a quick, catchy insult.
      Carvensno -
      What's funny is the term iSheep is back from the 80-90 era. So either the peeps are dating theirselves or naive/stupid because they are using a term that is so old and outdated lol
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook